First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
51 CJ-3A/71 CJ-5/71 Gladiator/85 Scrambler/21 JL
Occupation
Army
Mine was a '92 YJ with the 2.5L and a 5 speed. Had a cheap lift and 31's. Got it in 2005 when I turned 16. Had a 140k miles on it. Spent the next 70 years adding 80k miles. Abused the crap out of it. Ruined 3 or 4 AX-5s and blew out the spider gears once. Loved it to death, but at the end of college when I commissioned in the Army it just wasn't the right vehicle to move from WA to GA. Sold it and got pickup.

Forward to 2015, back from my first deployment and bought a '71 CJ-5 Renegade II with 225 V6 and a 3 speed manual off the side of the road for $2500. Currently going through a protracted frame off resto.

In 2017, I got back from my second deployment, and a guy I know called and asked if I wanted to buy an old Jeep. Ended up being an '85 CJ-8 Scrambler with a 2.5 and 4 speed manual. Drug it around on a couple PCS moves, and my brother in law just helped me get it running. Sat in a barn since '92 or so. Its painfully stock as my BIL says.

This last December, after my third deployment, (and having a kid several years before) I bought a brand new '21 JLUR with a 3.6 and 6 speed as a surprise for my wife and son.

I think there's a pattern. Still really miss the YJ
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubi SoHo

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Mine was a '92 YJ with the 2.5L and a 5 speed. Had a cheap lift and 31's. Got it in 2005 when I turned 16. Had a 140k miles on it. Spent the next 70 years adding 80k miles. Abused the crap out of it. Ruined 3 or 4 AX-5s and blew out the spider gears once. Loved it to death, but at the end of college when I commissioned in the Army it just wasn't the right vehicle to move from WA to GA. Sold it and got pickup.

Forward to 2015, back from my first deployment and bought a '71 CJ-5 Renegade II with 225 V6 and a 3 speed manual off the side of the road for $2500. Currently going through a protracted frame off resto.

In 2017, I got back from my second deployment, and a guy I know called and asked if I wanted to buy an old Jeep. Ended up being an '85 CJ-8 Scrambler with a 2.5 and 4 speed manual. Drug it around on a couple PCS moves, and my brother in law just helped me get it running. Sat in a barn since '92 or so. Its painfully stock as my BIL says.

This last December, after my third deployment, (and having a kid several years before) I bought a brand new '21 JLUR with a 3.6 and 6 speed as a surprise for my wife and son.

I think there's a pattern. Still really miss the YJ
Man oh man, keep that CJ-8; or sell it to me. They’re worth a lot of money these days.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
40s military Jeep...don't remember exact year or model. Photo taken about 1952. Me and all my cousins:
Jeep Wrangler JL Tell me about your first Jeep. Group on Hallstead Jee

After this one we had a 1947 CJ2A; at 10 years old I used it to pick up all the neighborhood kids and take them to the school bus stop. Haven't been able to find a photo of it, though.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Technically my 2018 firecracker red JLU Sport is MY first Jeep. I bought it used with the intent of running trails in Colorado and Utah. In the 19 months I've owned it I've done Colorado trails 4 different trips and Utah trails 3 different trips. My next trip is scheduled for April.

My wife bought a new Grand Cherokee WJ about 2000 and we did lots of trails in it too. I really liked the WJ, it had many of the good qualities of the Wrangler in a package that was more mainstream SUV. It had solid axles, good clearance and approach and departure angles, easy to put on larger tires or lift. It had much better steering than my JLU. In my mind the only shortcoming of the WJ was its old SOHC V8. It would have been an awesome vehicle with the Pentastar.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Mine was a '92 YJ
Got it in 2005
Spent the next 70 years adding 80k miles.

Still really miss the YJ.
🤔

We think we know what you mean here. ;)

Sponsored

AtomicYJ

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
51 CJ-3A/71 CJ-5/71 Gladiator/85 Scrambler/21 JL
Occupation
Army
Man oh man, keep that CJ-8; or sell it to me. They’re worth a lot of money these days.
Something like a dozen of my BIL friend's have asked if its for sale. I keep telling them it is for $38k and they get disappointed.

Screenshot 2022-01-26 200220.png

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
C
My first Jeep at, purchased in 1973 at 16 years old for $300 was a 1953 3A. The motor was the size of a large lunch box at 60 HP, I think. It topped out at 30mph between the motor and the 538 gears. My dad helped me paint it President red, turned out beautiful. Put a white convertible top on it, tear drop head light rims. The we put a Buick 225 V6 in it Desert Dog tires and bigger wheel, not sure what size. We put a tilt steering column in it also. Several other mechanical upgrades. This Jeep would climb anything. Of course I pushed the motor, it was so... fast of the line but the transmission was the stock 3 speed that barely shifted. At 16 I had fun with this one. Since have owned a 72 Jeepster, 80 CJ5, 2005 LJ, 2010 JK and now have ordered a 2022 JL Rubicon Extreme. It's been a Jeep thing for me!
C’mon— don’t exaggerate, they could do a blazing 45 mph. Learned to drive my fathers as soon as I could reach the pedals. Passed down to me and I passed it down to the next generation a few years ago . Still stock except for L head replaced with F head, Ford brakes 12 volt upgrade, spare relocated from the side to the back and a second tail light added.😊

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was a black '73 CJ5 Renegade, purchased in '79, when I was in high school. Decent condition for living in the rust belt. Had a 304ci V8 and a 4 speed manual transmission. My buddies and I pulled the 304 and installed a warmed over 401 (cam, headers, intake and carb), added a 4" lift kit and some Ground Hawgs (forget the size) on white wagon wheels. I wanted to be better in the mud and faster than my other friend's K5 Blazer, and we were. Not only was that CJ5 scary fast (for such a short wheelbase), but also scary tall! Surprised we never rolled it! Ah, the ignorance of youth!

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR
89 YJ Islander with a 4.2. Mowed a lot of yards and bought it for $1800 when I was 16. It had 130k miles on it, and took a quart of oil with every other trip to the gas station.

trekster

First Name
Trekster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon Extreme Recon
C

C’mon— don’t exaggerate, they could do a blazing 45 mph. Learned to drive my fathers as soon as I could reach the pedals. Passed down to me and I passed it down to the next generation a few years ago . Still stock except for L head replaced with F head, Ford brakes 12 volt upgrade, spare relocated from the side to the back and a second tail light added.😊
That's amazing you have kept it in the family all this time. We put Mustang tail lights on mine and the 12 volt upgrade. It's all coming back!

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
2004 wrangler unlimited , or as some folks call it , a LJ . Long wheelbase .
Still have it as a daily driver . We have a 2022 Willys on order .
Going to try to figure out a way to keep the 2004 .
It has been the most reliable vehicle we have EVER owned .
Sponsored