Tell me about your first Jeep.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
My fathers CJ3A that I was taught to drive as soon as I could reach the pedals and I have now passed down to the next generation. My CJ5 with an L79-Muncie out of a wrecked Vett, PS, Warn OD , Warn winch, boxed frame, built diffs with Detroit lockers, 3in lift, 33ā€™s ( huge for late 70ā€™s) , Mustang buckets that I sold and bought an 89 Bronco ( S T U P I D !!!) , now a 392 since itā€™s the first Wrangler to have a comparable power-weight as my CJ5.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
My first Jeep was a gray 1986 Cherokee. It was the last year they made them with a carburetor! I remember having to pop the hood and stick a screwdriver in the carburetor air intake to get her to start up in cold weather! Got me and my DJ equipment from A to B while I was in college, and then made the trip while towing a trailer when I moved from NJ to FL after college. It was old, it was ugly, but it worked!

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
1994 ZJ ---> 2016 JKUR ---> 2021 JLUR

I still like the ZJ/WJ style the best. All I want is two solid axles, 4x4 transfer case and clearance for big tires. I despise all the noises and leaks that come from the Wrangler removable roof/doors/windshield.

InjectedCJ7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1978 CJ-7
Iā€™ve been into Jeeps for most of my life. A friend of mineā€™s dad dealt in Army surplus Jeeps, and sometimes had over a dozen at his house (residential neighborhood). I spent many days hanging around, watching him restore old Jeeps, and helping a bit. When I was about 14, he started feeding me parts for a 1952 Jeep. First a rolling chassis, then an L-head 4 cylinder engine and transfer case. Axles were 5:1, springs were 13-leaf. As I would say later, if you ran over a dime, you could tell if it was heads or tailsā€¦. Body was solid, with the kind of steel you would love to have nowadays. Olive drab, of course! Seats were military canvas covered - not too comfy. Top was the old, thick canvas, which had a unique smell that i can still remember (Iā€™m 67 now).

I got the Jeep built in my parentā€™s garage, and roadworthy for about $700. Drove it all through high school, and for my first year at college. College was about 30 miles away, and the Jeep could only do about 45 mph, downhill with a tail windā€¦ So, in one of my most regrettable moves, I sold it. As they say, I wish I still had itā€¦

Regards,
John

Sponsored

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
My almost first Jeep was a 2 door Wangler I think 1991 and I didnā€™t get it because insurance was $1300 every 6 months for liability with probably state minimums.

My actual first Jeep will be a 2022 JLUR with a 2.0 non-hybrid in blue and Iā€™m hoping to have it sometime in January here.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
1974 CJ5 Renegade, with 304 V8, 3 SPD Manual Trans, with warn locking hubs. Detroit Locker in the rear, and 35" tru-track tires, on 15" 10" wide Rims.

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
I got my first NEW Jeep two months ago. Absolutely love my 21ā€™ JLU Willys! Itā€™s a huge improvement over my previous YJ and my very first Jeep (1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer). I still kinda wish Iā€™d kept the Wagoneer but the YJ was donated for partsā€¦the frame was totally rotted out, second gear didnā€™t exist and it leaked oil everywhere.

CAP77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
1999 Cherokee. My fiancĆ© (at the time) had a Grand Am, and my brother had a coworker selling the Jeep. She drove it until 2011, then it was mine until 2017 when the wiring was rotting enough it couldnā€™t keep the camshaft signal. There was over 220,000 miles on it at that point. Picked up a JLU summer of 21 since I always wanted a Wrangler.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my first Jeep brand new in 1993. it was a gorgeous YJ in Hydro Blue. The only options were aluminum wheels, limited slip rear end, and a tilt steering wheel. I'm not sure if carpet was an option, but it was there, too. It was a 2.5 4 cylinder with an Aisin 5 speed. I loved that powertrain because the engine was simple and reliable, strong enough, and the 5 speed and clutch were excellent.

I had that Jeep for 130k miles or so and 10 years. I kick myself for selling it every time I think about it. The mods were slightly larger BFG Mud Terrains, front sway bar disconnect, aftermarket stereo/speakers, dealer installed AC (essential when I lived in Houston), spray-in Line-X in the interior, steel wheels (my idea was to bang them back into shape with a hammer if I ever bent one. I never did.) Oh yeah, I also had a portable Warn M8000 winch that could fit a receiver in the front and rear.

I sold it to a guy who owned a transmission shop that specialized in Jeeps. It was in perfect shape, especially the frame. It didn't have one tiny speck of rust on it.

One thing I loved about that YJ was that the steering and handling were exceptional. It only weighed just over 3k lbs and the weight distribution was a perfect 50/50. So it would fly through on ramps fast enough that sports cars couldn't close the gap and overtake it until they straightened out!

I did have to get new rings/pinions/axles when I got water in them after crossing Spring Creek in Houston. I checked the gear oil right afterward and it looked fine. Lesson learned. Change it anyway. It apparently didn't get milky until a good bit of driving.

I ran that Jeep hard off road every chance I could get. It took it like a champ and shrugged it off, no worse for the wear.

I wish I had some pics of it, but unfortunately, I don't. But I sure loved that Jeep. Enough that when the JK came out, my wife told me to go get a 4 door and quit whining about wanting another Jeep! I didn't make the mistake of selling my 2nd one. I still have it. 14 years old and 167k miles and it looks great and runs like new. It shares the garage with my 2018 JLUR and my wife's new 2021 JLUR.

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
There have been a few trucks in between, but:

98 TJ Sahara, then 07 JK Rubicon two door, then 99 TJ Sport (turned into a beast of a wheeler - Dynatrac Prorocks, Linked suspension, 1/4" full belly skids, full cage, etc. etc.), and now a 21 JL Rubicon Two door

Nogifighter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜17 JK ā€˜22 JLU
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
first jeep was a 94 YJ that I bought in 2009 when I was 16. 4.0 I6 with a 5 speed manual. drove the hell out of it for 5 years till gas prices on Long Island topped 4.50 a gallon while I was in college so I sold it for a much more fuel efficient 350Z. drove the hell out of that one too till the cost of high milage repairs got to be too much so I sold it and bought a 2017 JK 2dr new that im still driving while I wait for my '22 to show up.

jackgraves7

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Tell me about your first Jeep. F454B9CE-8B74-446E-94C6-19B14B5CB6CB

2001 Jeep TJ, manual with the straight 6. Ended up selling it because I needed something different at the time. Now drive an 18 JLUS. The JL is better in nearly all aspects from the TJs, but I miss her everyday.

Grand Lake Special

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Sport Sarge Green
Occupation
retired teacher & building administrator
Vehicle Showcase
bought my 1995 YJ used for our cottage. 2.5L 5 speed it was a family favorite for about 15 years....restored it over time and sold it to get a 2020JL 2.0 automatic Sport S we currently have at the cottage. Usually the vehicle of choice when anyone is up there.......
Jeep Wrangler JL Tell me about your first Jeep. yj right front.JPG
Sponsored