Tell me about your first Jeep.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
So I’m a recent returner to Jeep, this JL is my second one I’ve owned. I sold the first one about 16yrs ago, which was a huge mistake. I still miss that thing, and with a 14yo boy, I kinda wish I had it so I could restore it with him and pass it on.

I’ll tell you about mine:

My first Jeep was a 1985 CJ7, I bought it in 2001, when it was 19yrs old. I looked around for weeks to find a good one, and after seeing jeep after jeep after jeep that had been heavily modified and that had too high a price tag, I found an older retired couple looking to sell theirs. It had been immaculately cared for, not a speck of rust. It had 131k miles on it, and ran like a champ when I test drove it. 4 speed manual, manually locking hubs, no leaks, it was as good a find as I would see. Color was a deep maroon-red, with gold stripes along the rocker panels. 31” tires. The couple wanted $3500 for it which I gladly paid.

I didn’t even make it home from the purchase before it started acting up though. Suddenly couldn’t hold idle. I ended up discovering that the cat was closing up, I replaced that and everything was great again. It never gave me problems after that until I destroyed the motor.

I drove it for another 3.5years, managed to get it to 190k miles in that time. I looked for any excuse to get it off road. My friend bought an XJ around the same time, and we got into all sorts of trouble. I remember once we drove up over the top of south mountain in Draper, Utah. There are homes there now, but back then it was just trails. It had rained and we felt like it was a good time to see how far in we could make it. We got up over the top, and we’re coming down the south side when my friend slipped off the trail. I tried to strap up to him and pull him back up on, but got pulled off myself. We ended up hiking down to town, covered in mud. We were walking through this affluent neighborhood, and a guy was in his garage and saw us covered in mud to the knees. Asked us what was up and we told him we got our jeeps stuck. He let us come in, use the phone to call for a ride, and told us to come back the next day and he’d like to help us out. We did so, and turns out he had some very built TJ’s that had just gotten back from the shop after Jeep Safari. He drove us back up there, and winched both of us back up onto the trail and we made it down from there.

I ended up wheeling all sorts of remote roads in the high-Uintas, and all over Utah’s west desert. Never made it to Moab somehow in the CJ.

Then I met my wife, and got married. Ended up overheating the jeep right after our honeymoon because of a cracked radiator that I had been trying to limp by with using JB weld while planning the last few days before the wedding. I was headed into work, running late, had a plan to swap the radiator after work that day, but it got too hot and wrecked the head gasket. I towed it home, rebuilt the engine, and parked it for the most part after that. Sold it once we were expecting our first for $5000, this time with a rebuilt engine, 3.5 years and 60k miles older.

After that, I bought sedans, then a 3 row Pathfinder as the family grew. Went to college, then medical school and residency. More recently I’ve been riding MTB, driving Subaru’s, spending 4-5 weekends in Moab every summer and enjoying being a bit settled for the first time in a while.

Used car values being what they are, I felt it was time to cash in the Subaru and get a Jeep again. Was able to put a sizable down payment on it, and nearly bought this one in cash. It’s a JLUR-XR, and I’m thrilled with it so far. I love the interior’s nod to the CJ I started with. So glad to be back in a Jeep again, and can’t wait to get back to Moab this spring.

Let’s hear about your first Jeep!
Sponsored

Last edited:

JLUCQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
My current is my first. Always kind of wanted a Jeep, just never pulled the trigger. Once my wife and I had our first baby I figured it was time to trade in the 2007 GT500 I had since new for something we can all enjoy. I don’t think there’s going to be a time I don’t own a Wrangler. Have a 392 on order now.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tell me about your first Jeep. 462D0ABC-A7C2-459E-ABC0-170D2220382B

GT500 in the background

Jeep Wrangler JL Tell me about your first Jeep. 040FDCB5-A03C-4AFA-BE9C-E3BC16F3A12F

How it sits today.

Outrider1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet
I'm driving my first. 2021 Willys 2dr. Ordered in March and it came in three weeks to the day later.

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
Mine was a 1979 CJ-7 Black with black soft top and white wagon wheel rims, like the one gentleman on this site has on his red jeep. It had a 304 cid and a 3 speed manual. It was my dads and when i started driving it was mine. He changed the cam, intake and carb not sure to what but it was a blast. I miss that vehicle the most out of all the vehicles I've ever had.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Many years ago, CJ3B. A couple TJ's, a JKU, and 2 JLU's since.

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
My first was a 97 TJ that I taught myself how to drive stick on. Sold that when gas went to $2 a gallon and I would commute from NC to Baltimore once a month. Bought a Corolla to make the drive more comfortable but that only last a year. It was too boring. Got transferred to Philadelphia and bought another TJ.
While stationed in Philly there was a ‘93 YJ just sitting on base for months. I asked the owner if he wanted to sell it and he said that it wasn’t running and he would sell it for $500. I bought it and had it towed to my parents. Turned out it was a bad water pump, haha.
When I had my first son I got a 2013 JKU. Now with 2 boys, I have the 2021 JLU. Looking forward to getting another TJ to turn wrenches on with my boys in 2 years or so and be our third vehicle.

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
I had a 1976 CJ5 with the V-8. I put headers on it. Sounded great.
I could pop the clutch and the front wheels would come off the ground.

OP
OP
Rubi SoHo

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Mine was a 1979 CJ-7 Black with black soft top and white wagon wheel rims, like the one gentleman on this site has on his red jeep. It had a 304 cid and a 3 speed manual. It was my dads and when i started driving it was mine. He changed the cam, intake and carb not sure to what but it was a blast. I miss that vehicle the most out of all the vehicles I've ever had.
Mine had those same white wheels.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Always wanted a Jeep. After saving up a few years after college I bought a CX-5. It was the smart choice. But I got the Jeep bug full swing after renting a JkU out west and in the obx. Traded the Cx-5 a few months later and got a used JK. My first time taking that off-road was a blast. Was driving through 6 inches of snow on top of mud and sand, I’ll never forget that day. I lifted it and replaced most of the steering and suspension parts but never got the ride fully dialed in. I learned a lot by doing several of the jobs myself. But after a few years I traded it for the more room of a JKU. Wish I kept it as a second vehicle :/.

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I walked into a dealership to buy myself a brand new 1996 Dodge minivan, less than an hour later signed the papers on a brand new 1996 Cherokee XJ instead.
Most expensive mistake ever!🤪

JeepKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys, previous 80 CJ5
Occupation
retired, rewired
80’ CJ5 Renegade bought it new as soon as I got my first real job. Pale yellow with light blue trim, blue denim seats, 258ci 6cyl, 4 speed manual, no radio, soft top, not much else. Tons of fun, easy to drive, never disappointed
Jeep Wrangler JL Tell me about your first Jeep. 690C2C28-C99A-474B-A0F1-1263F7F4E1F1

1YLDKAT

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
LMAO!! OK, you asked for it!
Story time, boys and girls!

It was 1980 somethin, I was married and in the Navy. I was stationed at NAVSTA San Diego. I found this 1947 Willys CJ2A for sale for 2600.00 and bought it. Original everything but all already gone through. Driving that thing on the highways in SoCal was quite an experience with a top speed of 55-60 mph. Cool feature: you could fold the inner split wind Shield forward to let air in... Only mod I did to that Jeep was a Saturn overdrive by Warn. Anyway, 1990 turns out was a big year for me. Got out of the Navy, Moved back home, got divorced, lost the Jeep in the divorce. Wasn't until 1993 that I replaced the Jeep. This time with a high hood 1955 CJ3B Cool feature about that Jeep, it came with an odd fire Buick 231 V-6. Well, as most older car nuts know, the bell housing was BOP... Which since most here won’t know, stood for Buick,Olds, Pontiac, meaning all those motors shared the same bell housing bolt pattern... (Anyone seeing a V-8 in my future) So we used to go down to the river bottom on friday and saturday nights 106th and Indian school rd... We would drink adult beverages, wheel in the sand and the river bottom, and hang out at campfires. Good clean fun. I’m boogying down this wash, when I hear something like a branch getting caught up and knocking... I ask my buddy to look out on his side of the Jeep to see if he can see anything... So here he is leaning Waay out the passenger opening trying to figure out where this knock was coming from, when al of a sudden there was this “boom” and black smoke and sparks, and the motor stopped motoring... I had just windowed my block with the rod that was knocking rhythmically like a branch caught in the driveline... Well, my buddy looked at me in surprise, his face now covered in oil and soot, as we came to a halt in soft sand.
I had to get towed home, the junkyard had more V8‘s than V6’s, and there was a 340 Buick for 165.00, which was just the right price! Somewhere along the line I did another Saturn overdrive...
After swapping that motor in, it wasn’t long before I tried to race my buddy in his Bronco, and I completely stripped the input shaft on that little T90 transmission... going to get towed home again... As it turns out, That BOP bell housing had the same index and bolt pattern as an SM420, which was really known for its desirable 7.05:1 Granny first gear. Perfect for a rock crawler!! By this time, I’m going into proactive mode. I put a Dana 60 in the rear, which I had to offset cut and have a custom shaft made for it, and a Dana 44 in the front, all 3/4 ton to match the rear lug pattern, and that’s how it stayed until 1998 or so...
of course, I had 38” TSL SX tires on it, my friends used to tease I couldn’t go any bigger, or they would rub in the middle... By 1998 I wanted a Juggy so I took the whole thing down and built it in my carport, but this time, I wanted the 455 Buick V8 in it. I also pulled the spicer 18 T-case and put a 4:1 Atlas in it. This allowed me to get a D60 Front and a centered D60 rear.
I flipped the Quadrajet carb around backwards for waterfall climbing and wheeled it like that until 2003, when I got the bug to go complete buggy. I built the buggy on my back patio. I built a race 455 Buick, no expense spared, motor, Complete with nitrous, went with a TH400 auto trans, Atlas T Case, built the chassis and 4 link suspension myself and ran some Fox 16” coil overs on it. Only thing left from that ol 55 CJ3B was the grille. Wheeled that buggy until I sold it I think around 2014. No matter because one of my buddies had picked up a 1985 CJ7, I had helped him over the years build it into a capable rock crawler, and sometime around 2007 or 2008, his boys blew the 258 motor in it and he sold it to me for 2000.00. I proceeded to put the older 455 and a TH400 in that with the Dana 300 case that I had already done a TeraLow 4:1 kit in. Also, I put the Warn 8274-50 on it, so now I had 2 rockcrawlers... LOL!
After selling the buggy, I continued to wheel in the CJ7 Jeep until my buddy needed something to teach his boys to drive in. I sold the CJ 7 back to him and was Jeepless for a bit, until I bought a 2014 Jeep JK. This is the Jeep I had and traded in on my 2019 JL. The JL gets to ease me in to my older years, while keeping me out there exploring, adventuring, And generally satisfying my wanderlust.
aren’t you happy you asked? Hahaha!!