Technology group AND 8.4 inch radio and premium audio group

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
It seems the 8.4 inch radio and premium audio group has most everything and more then what is in the 8.4 inch radio and premium audio group.

What am I getting extra? I ordered a Willys just now which is a Unlimited Sport with with the 25W Willys package and just started wondering if I am paying $995 for options already included.

Here are the things listed in the Technology Package that are not listed in the 8.4 inch radio and premium audio group.

" Air Conditioning with Automatic Temperature Control
" Air Filtering
" GPS Antenna Input
" Integrated Center-Stack Radio
" Selectable Tire-Fill Alert
" USB Host Flip

Doesn't the Unlimited Sport come with these "extra options" or there really no air conditioning unless I get the tech package?

Not sure what GPS antenna input, integrated center stack radio, and USB host flip and if I already get them without the tech package.

I have until Monday morning to take this off my build.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Doesn't the Unlimited Sport come with these "extra options" or there really no air conditioning unless I get the tech package?
What you list is the dual zone automatic climate control. This is an upgrade from the standard manual climate control. Both options have AC. You get the dual zone automatic climate control with the Technology Group.

Not sure what GPS antenna input, integrated center stack radio, and USB host flip and if I already get them without the tech package.
The 7 inch radios in the Technology Group use the dual SiriusXM/GPS antenna for GPS when using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. That's what the GPS antenna input refers to. All 8.4 inch Uconnect radios in the JL have GPS and SiriusXM. Center stack radio, simply refers to the actual radio. USB host flip is the USB media center, with the 2 USB ports and aux port located to the right of the window switches in the center stack. This also only comes with the Technology Package.

Think of it this way. The Technology Group is a step up from the base 5 inch radio and manual climate controls. The Premium Audio Group is a step up from the Technology Group.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
What you list is the dual zone automatic climate control. This is an upgrade from the standard manual climate control. Both options have AC. You get the dual zone automatic climate control with the Technology Group.

The 7 inch radios in the Technology Group use the dual SiriusXM/GPS antenna for GPS when using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. That's what the GPS antenna input refers to. All 8.4 inch Uconnect radios in the JL have GPS and SiriusXM. Center stack radio, simply refers to the actual radio. USB host flip is the USB media center, with the 2 USB ports and aux port located to the right of the window switches in the center stack. This also only comes with the Technology Package.

Think of it this way. The Technology Group is a step up from the base 5 inch radio and manual climate controls. The Premium Audio Group is a step up from the Technology Group.
It sounds like since I have the 8.4 radio and premium alpine audio I am double paying for most of the features in the Tech group except for the USB ports? So without the Techgroup will I have no USB ports to connect my phone to the radio and get Apple Carplay or Android auto?

In my cherokee, I lock the temp to be the same in both zones, so don't want dual climate.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I have calls and emails into the Sales Person and GM at the dealership to get this straightened out before they send my build order in Monday. No reply so far.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It sounds like since I have the 8.4 radio and premium alpine audio I am double paying for most of the features in the Tech group except for the USB ports?
You are not double paying. They are 2 separate groups/packages to get all the features that you want. They each have certain items. You need the Technology Group to get the automatic climate controls, 7 inch radio and USB ports (Media Center). The Premium Audio Group gets you the 8 inch radio, GPS navigation built into the radio (not via CarPlay or Android Auto), etc.

You need the Technology Group to get the Premium Audio Group. If you go on the Jeep website and build out a Willys (not Willys Sport), it comes with the Technology Group. Remove that and then add the Premium Audio Group. You will see that it automatically adds the Technology Group.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
You are not double paying. They are 2 separate groups/packages to get all the features that you want. They each have certain items. You need the Technology Group to get the automatic climate controls, 7 inch radio and USB ports (Media Center). The Premium Audio Group gets you the 8 inch radio, GPS navigation built into the radio (not via CarPlay or Android Auto), etc.

You need the Technology Group to get the Premium Audio Group. If you go on the Jeep website and build out a Willys (not Willys Sport), it comes with the Technology Group. Remove that and then add the Premium Audio Group. You will see that it automatically adds the Technology Group.
Yes I noticed that on the website and it is probably why I selected the tech group, it got selected when I selected the 8.4 radio with premium sound.

The website has glitches so wanted to make sure.

At the dealership the salesperson was adding the keyless entry for $500+. I said that comes standard in the Willys package, she said no, it would not be selectable if it came with the Willys package. She then drilled down into the Willys package and saw that it came standard. So they also have glitches in their official ordering system.

So if I did not know more than the salesperson I would have paid for a standard option.

I was thinking maybe same thing happening with the Tech group.

If I was a jeep salesperson I would read these forums until I knew as much or more than my customers. Would result in more sales, so frustrating to ask very basic questions and the salesperson does not have the answer.

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
I have the 8.4 audio upgrade and appreciate it everytime I turn it on. Well worth the money, in my opinion.

Hunter

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I have the 8.4 audio upgrade and appreciate it everytime I turn it on. Well worth the money, in my opinion.

Hunter
Completely agree! I can attest to it sounding great in a 2 door only though.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
The tech package is required on the Willy's, the only way can buy a 2021 wrangler without it is if you buy a Sport or Willy Sport.

The keyless entry is the push button key fob. The remote proximity is not standard,

the only way to get it on Willy's is if you buy the half doors.

edit - It looks likes this has changed on the March 5th Dealer order from posted last night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none

Hunter
Completely agree! I can attest to it sounding great in a 2 door only though.
My Cherokee has the standard Audio package. The sound is terrible and harsh to the ears, so I mostly listen to books and podcasts. If I listen to music, I need to keep the volume low. I have been kicking myself for 2 years for not getting the audio upgrade . I do the the 8 inch Uconnect. Best car entertainment unit I ever had and love Android Auto. Excited about having then new 8.4 inch Uconnect with real speakers.

Good to hear you guys are pleased with the sound.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The tech package is required on the Willy's, the only way can buy a 2021 wrangler without it is if you buy a Sport or Willy Sport.

The remote proximity is not standard, the only way to get it on Willy's is if you buy the half doors. The keyless entry is the push button key fob.
Remote proximity keyless entry is definitely part of the Willys 25w package. The half door requirement is a website error.

That why I am thinking the Tech package with the Sound and 8.4 was also a website error. It makes no sense to pay for the tech package with a low end radio to be able to pay for the package with the high end radio.

Hopefully the dealership gets back to me before submitting my build tomorrow.

I attached the 25W standard options that come with the Willys.

Attachments

azulwavesJL

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU hydro blue
Occupation
Flight Planning Supervisor
Remote proximity keyless entry is definitely part of the Willys 25w package. The half door requirement is a website error.

That why I am thinking the Tech package with the Sound and 8.4 was also a website error. It makes no sense to pay for the tech package with a low end radio to be able to pay for the package with the high end radio.

Hopefully the dealership gets back to me before submitting my build tomorrow.

I attached the 25W standard options that come with the Willys.
The proximity entry is not the same as keyless entry. The 25W only has the remote keyless entry, which means you press the button on the fob to unlock the doors remotely.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The proximity entry is not the same as keyless entry. The 25W only has the remote keyless entry, which means you press the button on the fob to unlock the doors remotely.
You are correct. I have a call into the dealer to see if the can change to remote-proximity-keyless entry without having to select half-doors and/or messing up my build order.

Not a big deal upgrade but I kind of got used to it with my current car.

I did verify that the Tech Package must be ordered at $995 to gain the privilege of ordering the $2,095 8.4 radio with upgraded sound. Makes no sense but it is what it is.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I did verify that the Tech Package must be ordered at $995 to gain the privilege of ordering the $2,095 8.4 radio with upgraded sound. Makes no sense but it is what it is.
Even if you did not order the 8.4 radio with upgraded sound, the technology package is a M/H (must have) for Willy's model. The same goes for the Sport S, Sport Altitude, Freedom and Islander models. It is in dealer order guides.
Sponsored