RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
That is exactly what it is in a nutshell. Been that way since the Asian companies started doing it back in the 70's. We are only feeling the affect more as this is a very hot item right now.

Hell years ago when I was starting out I could only afford a Hyundai Elantra. It was a new revision model year. When it rained the electrical would go nuts making my windows go up and down on their own, my door locks lock and unlock, my dash lights flicker. There was a leak in the drivers door that when water entered it would short out an electrical harness. They could not get a replacement part to fix it because of JIT manufacturing. After having a loaner for 30 days I was able to invoke the lemon law and get a new vehicle.

This happens to all manufacturers. We are just upset because we want the new toy and we want it NOW. I am in the same boat and get frustrated at times. I just try to pull back and realize there are people in this world that are concerned with where their next meal will come from or if they will have shelter for the night. When I think about that, me being disappointed in having to wait longer for my new toy seems a bit selfish and I feel like a big O'l asshole.
Well said SS. We discuss very, very 1st world problems here.

Somewhat tangential, at the risk of pointing out the obvious, just in time (JIT) inventory presumes product neither to early or, as in this case late. JIT trades cost reduction for risk in other entities meeting time commitments. Some of that risk is hedge through the lower profits of perhaps housing some inventory, or having multiple vendors deliver, even if the more expensive ones have to be called upon to delivery when the primary and cheaper ones can't.

We place this risk calculation on FCA, and within reason (your point), are entitled to hold them accountable. Let me note, I do very much remember your honest claim to far more be a compassionate truth seeker than an FCA fan, per se.
Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Also, save the one-off concepts for a time when the model is getting stale. If you have to show things, show us what we can actually buy within an year or can it.
Seriously? Jeep’s marketing and design teams should just go ahead and SKIP the Easter Jeep Safari - a long tradition - because a few options aren’t in manufacturing yet?

I suppose you think those people should all start handbuilding RHD 2 doors and hand-sewing Premium soft-tops for us?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Seriously? Jeep’s marketing and design teams should just go ahead and SKIP the Easter Jeep Safari - a long tradition - because a few options aren’t in manufacturing yet?

I suppose you think those people should all start handbuilding RHD 2 doors and hand-sewing Premium soft-tops for us?
No drogers....you're right...it would not be a sound FCA decision. This is an opportunity for them to test market--and these specialty builds don't slow down general production.

It's just a "get your basic product through the door before you start reinventing it" sentiment among us in the waiting room I imagine.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
Nate, when you're right you're right. Why should they? They shouldn't. They're a profit driven entity, the customer kickback for the wait I described won't do much to improve sales, and if I was an executive at FCA, duty bound to maximize profit for the stock holders, it would be a wrong decision to make.

...but it would be nice.....;)

I think my sentiments reiterate how you refer to market forces not making such a payback to customer's a sound one.

I'm not sure if you're for refunding a deposit when the dealer isn't hurt or even financially rewarded by the cancelled order (as would be the case right now with a Wrangler) or not. They certainly don't owe it in any circumstance. To me, one of the major reasons I think deposits exist and should is to not incentivize people to make orders they have no intention on keeping with dealers who can't easily cancel product they ordered on the customer's behalf.

I can agree IF it was a product that was not in demand and would be stuck on the dealer lot if it were my business yes I’d ask for and enforce a “non refundable” deposit. Only in these extreme circumstances can I see this as being valid, but again that simply is not the case at the moment. Demand exceeds supply and dealers can move inventory almost immediately. So to ask for a “non refundable” deposit is a red flag to me about the dealers practices. But that is me.

No drogers....you're right...it would not be a sound FCA decision. This is an opportunity for them to test market--and these specialty builds don't slow down general production.

It's just a "get your basic product through the door before you start reinventing it" sentiment among us in the waiting room I imagine.
Most of these builds are just a “what if” we could. While I do echo the notion, these are not teased as future production. Kind of like if each of us had our way designing our perfect Jeep.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Most of these builds are just a “what if” we could. While I do echo the notion, these are not teased as future production. Kind of like if each of us had our way designing our perfect Jeep.
Ohhh Yea our perfect Jeep right here!!!! :cwl::cwl::cwl:

20161030224446-8050b6a5-me.jpg

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

2018-easter-jeep-safari.jpg

Two-tone red-and-white paint job, and the noticeable "Jeepster" badge.

I really like how they carried out the two-tone look with the angled hard top. I would like this in the "Unlimited" just as much.

I truly wish they had a bunch of two-tone choices just like this. Awesome look!
Well too bad, b/c y’ain’t gettin it. LOL. Don’t you know this is just a sneak peek of teaser images of concept vehicles that Jeep will never spend the money to make? It’s very exciting stuff, trust me. I for one am unable to sleep until next week when more information and images are released.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
OP
OP
Gregodav

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Well too bad, b/c y’ain’t gettin it. LOL. Don’t you know this is just a sneak peek of teaser images of concept vehicles that Jeep will never spend the money to make? It’s very exciting stuff, trust me. I for one am unable to sleep until next week when more information and images are released.
Sometimes they do become special editions... I think marketing listens to social media (our forum) for input.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Well I would have to assume that if they asked for X soft tops from BeStop then they also requested X axles from Dana and as I said they don't have a shortage of Axles do they?
Did their contract with BestTop have a title saying "make tops like Dana makes axles"? If BestTop didn't sign something along those lines, they're not at fault for not being able to keep up with demand that FCA didn't agree to. And let's wait and see if FCA goes running to contract someone else to make the tops since they know BestTop can't do it... afterall that's what a responsible manufacturer would do.

Can I say all of this for a certainty? No.
Then don't :) Jeep is the one taking people's money, not BestTop and they have a responsibility towards the people.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
A few options... yet? So you mean to say that all options will be in manufacturing, eventually? I'm still waiting for even a single V8 option shown for the JK over its lifetime, which is still current in many parts of the world.

They can eat the materials and excrete it out of their glands to make the soft tops for all I care, I'm not the one getting paid to come up with damage control and strategic planning. That job belongs to the folks you give your hard earned money to and protect from scrutiny when they mess up.

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Did their contract with BestTop have a title saying "make tops like Dana makes axles"? If BestTop didn't sign something along those lines, they're not at fault for not being able to keep up with demand that FCA didn't agree to. And let's wait and see if FCA goes running to contract someone else to make the tops since they know BestTop can't do it... afterall that's what a responsible manufacturer would do.

Then don't :) Jeep is the one taking people's money, not BestTop and they have a responsibility towards the people.

All that needs to be said right here:

g1381133138976163346.png

vintage38

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Jeep has posted teasers of two JL Wrangler concepts they're bringing to Moab Easter Safari this year - starting next week.

From JLWF homepage: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com

FCA Press Release:

March 15, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The Jeep® and Mopar brands have once again joined forces to create a selection of Jeep concept vehicles for the annual Easter Jeep Safari. These images hint at two of the new concept vehicles that will head to Moab, March 24 – April 1. Look for more information and images next week.

2018-easter-jeep-safari-2.jpg
2018-easter-jeep-safari.jpg
Loving the look of that Hardtop. It would sure be nice to have that as a option. Might even consider a two door just to get that look, unless they had a 4dr version.

vintage38

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Not feeling the slanted hardtop look on the 4 doors, I think the lower cut doors would help with the over all look. They do have a few Safari options that are pretty cool. They have that Land Rover vibe going on, which can be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you view a Land Rover. I used to have a 1994 LR D90. That thing was a beast, to bad they stopped importing them into the US.
nfvza1xjwvplurqhhfop.jpg
MP015_008JP3m3hmo3qhrdbdd1opvl4uae6qf-e1428518788246.jpg

d2825cb6ff3eeea5357e076700dcafc4.jpg
download (17).jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: