Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
I want to have the ESS disabled all the time. With either of these systems, can you have it disabled and the light not be on or will I always have a light on my dash if the ESS is off?
Our product works just like the override button, except it is automatic. There is no warning light or message on the dash display. When ESS is overridden the override button itself ('A' with a circle) is lit up.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I want to have the ESS disabled all the time. With either of these systems, can you have it disabled and the light not be on or will I always have a light on my dash if the ESS is off?
If you have a light in the EVIC display for ESS then you have it disabled by other means but to answer your question yes the light for ESS will always be lit if disabled

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I'm an early adopter of the Tazer and have been using it for 9 months. I'm a big fan and think it's a terrific product. That said, the latest firmware has been giving me a few issues, and so I decided it was time to try Smart Stop Start (SSS). The only "live" feature of the Tazer that I really use is ESS kill, and that's not been reliable for me in 11.0.8.

Anyhow, I ordered an SSS though @SmartStopStart.com and received it in 2 days! Fantastic service. It came neatly packaged with instructions and, given the number of times I've dealt with disconnecting the secure gateway module wires as part of Tazer ownership, was a cinch to install.

The only other thing to say about SSS is that it works! Even before the ignition cycle is complete I see the ESS LED light up. Fantastic. From what @Rhinebeck01 has told me, this thing has no parasitic draw to speak of, too. I also like that the SGW is not being bypassed.

Note that I did leave my Tazer married and am taking advantage of lots of its features - TPMS, lights, weather alerts, etc. I'm happily enjoying the best of both products.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So there are no issues with using them both?
No issue using Tazer to program BCM and then unplugging it (I also removed the gateway bypass, as I have the original two piece Tazer).

Could you leave the Tazer plugged in? My guess is yes *if* you run 11.0.6 firmware *and* don’t enable ESS Kill. In 11.0.8 ESS algorithm was changed to be “smart,” and it would surely compete with the SSS and I’m sure weird things would result.

For me, I’ve no use in keeping the Tazer plugged in at the same time as SSS.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
So there are no issues with using them both?
I have been running both for months and have zero issues but let me clarify.

I installed my Tazer ( two piece ) then married to system and then made my vehicle changes ( tire size, TPMS limits and fog light drop ) I then unplugged the Tazer and bypass module but left it married as once you unmarry it restores your original JL settings, after I removed it I then installed the SSS module from Steve and this combo works perfect for me, with the Tazer unplugged and removed there is no chance for a possible parasitic draw on the battery and the SSS module draws almost nothing that I can see with my meter

I could upgrade to firmware 11.08 like all the other “ Cool kids “ but for me this combo works with no side affects, I may upgrade to 11.08 somtime but I doubt I would leave the Tazer plugged in even then as I’m of the mindset of why take a chance if you don’t have to.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been running both for months and have zero issues but let me clarify.

I installed my Tazer ( two piece ) then married to system and then made my vehicle changes ( tire size, TPMS limits and fog light drop ) I then unplugged the Tazer and bypass module but left it married as once you unmarry it restores your original JL settings, after I removed it I then installed the SSS module from Steve and this combo works perfect for me, with the Tazer unplugged and removed there is no chance for a possible parasitic draw on the battery and the SSS module draws almost nothing that I can see with my meter

I could upgrade to firmware 11.08 like all the other “ Cool kids “ but for me this combo works with no side affects, I may upgrade to 11.08 somtime but I doubt I would leave the Tazer plugged in even then as I’m of the mindset of why take a chance if you don’t have to.
TBH, I downgraded back to 11.0.6 b/c I had issues (detailed in the 11.0.8 thread). I am now on your same combo. It’s perfect.
Sponsored