Sponsored

Tazer Mini or OBD JScan?

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I am planning on moving to LEDs when installing Rubicon Fender Flares. With the upgrade, I am going to 35”-37” tires. Which of these gadgets will work best without messing up my electronics? It seems of course there are many opinions out there, but I want to make sure I buy the right product up front.
Sponsored

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Jscan worked for me and you can remove it once your changes have been written. I believe you have to leave the tazer mini installed at all times to keep changes.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Jscan worked for me and you can remove it once your changes have been written. I believe you have to leave the tazer mini installed at all times to keep changes.
False. Tazer only needs to be plugged in for live features, like ESS disablement.

I love my Tazer. Fantastic product.

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So since they both seem to work, what would be the benefit of spending the money on the Tazer Mini? I’m really only interested in messing with the lights and tire sizes.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Both do the same things, Tazer is more user friendly.....with that said the Tazer copies your stock configuration to the unit so when you unmarry it that backup puts it all back to what it was originally before making changes, the OBD JSCAN does not make a back and just makes changes to the ECU.

The big difference to me is the Tazer has to be unmarried before any service work to avoid them seeing the programmer with the JSCAN the changes are made to the ECU so no marry/unmarry process

With the Tazer you have live features and vehicle features, with some features it has to be plugged in all the time whereas the JSCAN you make your changes and then just unplug the OBDII module and your done and if you forget to change back before dealer service it’s not a big deal as even if they flash the system you would just go back in and make changes whereas I’m not sure what would happen with the Tazer never tried that when I ran one.

Both are great products, JSCAN is more cost effective and both have good support but JSCAN is more “Techie” as it requires more interaction on your part.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
So since they both seem to work, what would be the benefit of spending the money on the Tazer Mini? I’m really only interested in messing with the lights and tire sizes.
If lights are tires are the only thing you are needing then my vote goes to JSCAN, you can do that for around $75 total and that counts the licensing with JSCAN.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Shak14

And you are happy with AutoStopStart and will not be wanting to disable / deal with it?

Have you read all that the Tazer JL Mini offers, especially in regard to "Live Functions" ?

Read here and see what is listed in regard to Live Functions as none of those Live Functionss are doable with JSCAN.
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/tazer-jl-mini/

For the record, I am presently running JSCAN but I am very Tazer JL savvy.... had one in the past..

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Shak14

And you are happy with AutoStopStart and will not be wanting to disable / deal with it?

Have you read all that the Tazer JL Mini offers, especially in regard to "Live Functions" ?

Read here and see what is listed in regard to Live Functions as none of those Live Functionss are doable with JSCAN.
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/tazer-jl-mini/

For the record, I am presently running JSCAN but I am very Tazer JL savvy.... had one in the past..
Yeah, I really don’t mind the ESS. I have gotten so used to turning it off when I start the Jeep that now it’s second nature.

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If lights are tires are the only thing you are needing then my vote goes to JSCAN, you can do that for around $75 total and that counts the licensing with JSCAN.
Is licensing done through the app when purchased? Also, is there a monthly fee for any of this?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I really don’t mind the ESS. I have gotten so used to turning it off when I start the Jeep that now it’s second nature.
JSCAN seems to not have the ESS thing quite figured out, it can be done but not as easily as Tazer.

Is licensing done through the app when purchased? Also, is there a monthly fee for any of this?
A one time fee is done thru the app and licenses your VIN, you can purchase several VIN licenses so say you have more than one of the vehicles they support you don’t have to keep purchasing it over and over.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Snip:
JSCAN seems to not have the ESS thing quite figured out, it can be done but not as easily as Tazer.
Actually, JSCAN can not deal with AutoStopStart in any acceptable manner.

In regard to AutoStopStart, all JSCAN does is turn off the Evic warning light that you are faced with after your do the instructed plunger disconnect under the hood which is the hack, that actually knocks out/disables AutoStopStart....

.......only problem is with this hack is ....... if you have Remote Start, disabling/disconnecting that plunger also knocks out your Remote Start. There are also some intermittent negative things that go hand in hand with the plunger disco, too.

With that said, AutoStopStart cannot be dealt with by JSCAN in an acceptable way, and it never will be able to.

YES, the Tazer JL CAN disable AutoStopStart.... but only possible, as a Live Function...

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
As you have read above, there are pro and cons to both.
Tazer, more user friendly, has live features (most of which can be attained using other phone apps - anything related to live data and gauges, free), and will revert everything to stock once unplugged (completely unnecessary for dealer visit or varanty). But cost $325

Jscan - has 99% of Tazer programing features that you would ever use, not as user friendly, but total cost is far less - $75. ONCE you have bypass cable and wifi OBD2 you can use many other geat apps that cost nothing to see live data/gauges/data logging.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As you have read above, there are pro and cons to both.
Tazer, more user friendly, has live features (most of which can be attained using other phone apps - anything related to live data and gauges, free), and will revert everything to stock once unplugged (completely unnecessary for dealer visit or varanty). But cost $325

Jscan - has 99% of programing features of mini, not as user friendly, but total cost is far less - $75. ONCE you have bypass cable and wifi OBD2 you can use many other geat apps that cost nothing to see live data/gauges/data logging.
@BlackGenesis

Yup.... but 99% is really stretching it.. how about 62% .... I'm on board with that....

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
@BlackGenesis

Yup.... but 99% is really stretching it.. how about 62% .... I'm on board with that....
Ok, I have change few thing up in my post, lol.
Excluding live features for which you have to have Tazer plugin in, I dont see anything useful that Tazes has to offer over OBDjscan.

Someone needs to try out changing intelegent battery sensor settings to see if ESS will be disabled. Vehicle should indicate that ESS not available as system is charging. That's what mine been saying for the past year.

Screenshot_20210213-183211_OBD JScan.jpg

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
I don’t find jscan as being harder to use and it’s super user friendly, and cost less so yeah kind of an easy choice imho.
Sponsored