OU1BluJL20

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Willys
@OU1BluJL20

Yes, As long as you do not unmarry the Tazer JL before you remove the Tazer JL.
Dang …sorry folks I meant the Tazer lite ..not the mini. Will the tazer lite work for tire recal then upplug from SGW but jeep married?
Sponsored

OU1BluJL20

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Willys
Is it necessary to plug the tazer into a laptop for “latest updates” ? I do not use windows laptops.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Dang …sorry folks I meant the Tazer lite ..not the mini. Will the tazer lite work for tire recal then upplug from SGW but jeep married?
Yes, as long as you leave married and just are removing the Tazer JL Lite or Tazer JL Mini.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sponsored

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
I have the Tazer Mini. The latest update came out after I installed it. I have been researching and seem to have come across different suggestions for updating.
- Can I leave it plugged in and married, just take laptop out to the Jeep and plug in the USB and update it at the car?
or
- Do I have to unmarry, unplug and then connect to laptop, update, then reinstall and remarry?

The latter seems like the appropriate way but want to make sure. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@AMT

Regarding the firmware update of a Tazer JL Mini or Lite... or Original Tazer JL..

Joe at ZAutomotive will tell you it is not mandatory to unmarry a Tazer JL when you go to do a firmware update with a PC. He agreed with me though, more then once though... that to do an unmarry is something to consider doing/is worth while doing..... as it can't hurt and may just save you some headaches..

You can unmarry the Tazer JL and then just leave it in place/hooked up...
.... and then with the USB cable that came with the Tazer JL, hook the Tazer JL to your PC laptop that you have brought out to the garage, driveway, etc...

.... Now, with vehicle turned off.... using ZAutomotive's ZPU utility you update the firmware on the Tazer JL. Then, disconnect the Tazer JL from your PC laptop and remarry the Tazer JL to your vehicle.. and redo your settings using the Tazer JL.

Careful though.... Be sure your laptop has a battery that has a good charge when you have it out in the garage/driveway doing a firmware update on the Tazer JL.

When doing a firmware update on any device, to include a Tazer JL, you can brick a device if you have the laptop, power off in midst of a firmware update.

YES, I have taken the laptop out to the JL and done a firmware update on a Tazer JL that was still attached to the JL.. I have done this quite a few times..

After I got the SGW Extension cable, I stopped doing this...

I have to admit juggling a laptop in the close quarters of the JL driver's side was more effort then what is was worth... Was easier to just unmarry, remove the Tazer JL and do the deed away from the JL.

Last edited:

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
@AMT

Regarding the firmware update of a Tazer JL Mini or Lite... or Original Tazer JL..

Joe at ZAutomotive will tell you it is not mandatory to unmarry a Tazer JL when you go to do a firmware update with a PC. He agreed we me though, more the once though, that to do an unmarry is something to consider doing/worth while doing..... as it can't hurt and may just save you some headaches..

You can unmarry the Tazer JL and then just leave it in place/hooked up...
.... and then with the USB cable that came with the Tazer JL, hook the Tazer JL to your PC laptop that you have brought out to the garage, driverway, etc...

.... Now, with vehicle turned off.... using ZAutomotive's ZPU utility you update the firmware on the Tazer JL. Then, disconnect the Tazer JL from your PC laptop and remarry the Tazer JL to your vehicle.. and redo your settings using the Tazer JL.

Careful though.... Be sure your laptop has a battery that has a good charge when you have it out in the garage/driveway doing a firmware update on the Tazer JL.

When doing a firmware update on any device, to include a Tazer JL, you can brick a device if you have the laptop, power off in midst of a firmware update.

YES, I have taken the laptop out to the JL and done a firmware update on a Tazer JL that was still attached to the JL.. I have done this quite a few times..

After I got the SGW Security Extension cable, I stopped doing this...

I have to admit juggling a laptop in the close quarters of the JL driver's side was more effort then what is was worth... Was easier to just unmarry, remove the Tazer JL and do the deed away from the JL.

Thanks, @Rhinebeck01, exact info I was looking for.

BigBruse

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep rubicon
Do I have to unmarry the tazer to install a new battery? Can I just leave it plugged in while I swop out battery?

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Do I have to unmarry the tazer to install a new battery? Can I just leave it plugged in while I swop out battery?
I would disconnect it. No need to unmarry.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Why disconnect it when swapping batteries?
It's simply good practice, in case something shorts during the process. You don't want to burn out the Tazer.

It's always good/smart to remove or disconnect any connected electrical devices like CB radios, radar detectors, etc.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It's simply good practice, in case something shorts during the process. You don't want to burn out the Tazer.

It's always good/smart to remove or disconnect any connected electrical devices like CB radios, radar detectors, etc.
That seems a little questionable. Do you realize how much of your Jeep would be fried if something shorted to the point that it fried your Tazer?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

That seems a little questionable. Do you realize how much of your Jeep would be fried if something shorted to the point that it fried your Tazer?
Yes, I realize. But it can happen.

My dad's a mechanic with over 50 years experience. It's just good practice and what he and I've done for years. Take it or leave it.
Sponsored