Tazer Mini needs to stay married?

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Sahara
BTW: You wouldn't happen to know what the Tazer Trailer Tow package option does? I recently added the Mopar trailer tow kit and it works fine without using this Tazer option. The ZAutomotive description of this option in their manual sucks. It says it simply enables this tow package. Obviously the tow package appears to be enabled without it. So what does this feature then do?

Please anyone reading this thread who knows this particular Tazer tow feature, please do share. My inquiry into ZAutomotive support via email remains unanswered.
Jay did you ever get an answer to this question about the Tazer Trailer Tow package option? Was it merely if someone added an aftermarket 7 pin / 4 pin connector?
Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Jay did you ever get an answer to this question about the Tazer Trailer Tow package option? Was it merely if someone added an aftermarket 7 pin / 4 pin connector?
Jon,

I did in fact get a response from Joe at Z Automotive. "The tow setting just enables power for the harness." I'm now assuming probably for the remote brake controller. I also imagine that this setting will also be dependent on exactly how you're tow harness was wired up and installed. I suspect this setting only applies to the factory installed tow package.

For me, my trailer is small and doesn't require the brake controller circuitry. So even though I have the Mopar harness installed afterwards by the dealer, I don't mess with this specific Razor setting. Don't know how many Wrangler owners will need this since our pulling weight specs are all very low where a brake controller on the trailer would likely always be unnecessary. Maybe for the Gladiator this may come more into play. Still I would believe that all required power is available via the harness and this Tazor setting is just a way to explicitly disable it.

Joe's response wasn't at all clear. I'm taking the liberty with some educated guess work. All he indicated was this setting controlled power to the tow harness. Once I realized my trailer lights worked without adjusting anything, my only thought was the power output to the remote brake controller module.

Maybe someone knows more detail. Sorry I can't be absolutely definitive.

Jay

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Sahara
Maybe for the Gladiator this may come more into play. Still I would believe that all required power is available via the harness and this Tazor setting is just a way to explicitly disable it.
Thanks for your always detailed, descriptive and easy to ready replies Joe. (also thank you for a similarly detailed response to my private conversation sent to you here).

I am picking up my Gladiator this week and trading in my JK but I did purchase the tow package so I assume I won't need to use this feature of the Tazer.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
For people with the lame UConnect 3 without any cellular radio this is likely no big deal.

However, for most everybody else with the UConnect 4 where over-the-air connectivity to the internet is available whenever inside cellular coverage, this then poses a potential security vulnerability, regardless of whether you subscribe to any on-line services or not.
Ah, so this is why I've seen stuff about an app and blah blah that didn't seem relevant to my Jeep. I have UConnect3, which means it's less dangerous for me to leave the Tazer dongle installed. I mainly bought it for live features, as I'm not changing any of my lights or tire sizes or gear ratios.

After realizing it replaced the SGW, I've been on here researching whether I even want to plug the damn thing in at all. I'm not yet convinced that I do. I'm also a little off-put by the encouragement to go install the latest firmware revision before plugging in, and the only thing I can find is a beta.

As far as my Uconnect level, I occasionally plug in my phone to use Google Maps on the center screen, but otherwise I rarely turn the damn thing on at all. I prefer keeping the center screen totally dark, which the blank screen button doesn't accomplish.

Uh. Get off my lawn? Ya damn kids with your internet-connected radios.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I'm also a little off-put by the encouragement to go install the latest firmware revision before plugging in, and the only thing I can find is a beta.
There is always a full non-beta version available, regardless of whether a beta is.

Right now 11.2.7 is the latest release available. There is no beta at the moment.

https://www.zautomotive.com/tazer-jl-updates/

Sponsored

Shantz

First Name
Shantz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Occupation
Producer
Let me get this straight.

If I upgrade my gears from the stock 3.45 to 4.56... and set the tazer to 4.56. If I were to unmarry the unit before heading to the dealership, everything would charge back to the factory setting. Meaning it will revert back to the 3.45 gear setting.

Would that send the Jeep into limp mode? 3.6L 6 Speed Manual on 35's

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Let me get this straight.

If I upgrade my gears from the stock 3.45 to 4.56... and set the tazer to 4.56. If I were to unmarry the unit before heading to the dealership, everything would charge back to the factory setting. Meaning it will revert back to the 3.45 gear setting.

Would that send the Jeep into limp mode? 3.6L 6 Speed Manual on 35's
@Shantz

Best bet is to get within a mile or so of the stealership and then unmarry your Tazer JL and remove the Tazer. Be sure to reconnect the 2 cables at the security gateway... then proceed to stealership.

Now .....with the JL/JT Rubi , do know that you will only see a “Service AWD” thrown if you put it in 4 low. Otherwise speedo will just be off.

With the Wrangler JK, it would go into limp mode ..... not so with a JL.

With that said, stealership tech would only see a ...“Service AWD” if he put it in 4 low and drove it...

Shantz

First Name
Shantz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Occupation
Producer
@Shantz

Best bet is to get within a mile or so of the stealership and then unmarry your Tazer JL and remove the Tazer. Be sure to reconnect the 2 cables at the security gateway... then proceed to stealership.

Now .....with the JL/JT Rubi , do know that you will only see a “Service AWD” thrown if you put it in 4 low. Otherwise speedo will just be off.

With the Wrangler JK, it would go into limp mode ..... not so with a JL.

With that said, stealership tech would only see a ...“Service AWD” if he put it in 4 low and drove it...

Thank you, good to know!

Not sure if having a manual makes any difference. Either way, hopefully I won't need to make too many trip to the dealership.

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Ran into an issue today where my jeep would not start had to jump it and headed straight to the dealer. The battery was so bad I was unable to unmarry it since turning off the jeep would have left me stranded. I rolled the dice but hoping since they are just testing the battery I will be ok with the Tazer removed but not unmarried. I ALWAYS unmarry prior to visiting the dealer but today was a one off. Crossing fingers.

Sponsored

jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s, 21 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
For some reason, I cant seem to get my taser to marry. I wanted to do my sway bar stuff and locker configuration. I have set my tire size and that was it when I picked up the JTRD a few weeks ago. Now that I am home I want to do the other stuff, but I can only go as far as the light show, and then it shows IGN On. How do I get to the marry unmarry screen again?

OU1BluJL20

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Willys
Will the mini correctly and consistently change and keep the tire change settings, after being unplugged from the SGW.
Don’t care about the other features just need to know if it’s reliable for tire size recal.

Thanks Jeeper pals

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Will the mini correctly and consistently change and keep the tire change settings, after being unplugged from the SGW.
Don’t care about the other features just need to know if it’s reliable for tire size recal.

Thanks Jeeper pals
Yeh, I have mine unplugged and it keeps the tire settings just fine.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Thanks Jeeper pals
@OU1BluJL20

Yes, As long as you do not unmarry the Tazer JL before you remove the Tazer JL.
Sponsored