Tazer Mini needs to stay married?

Roadglider09

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Bought the Tazer Mini because I added a front camera, wanted to change tire sizes, and adjust TPMS settings. These are vehicle settings and the Tazer does not need to remain installed after changing these settings. After I finished, I did a full reboot then unmarried the Tazer and removed it. The front camera worked for 2 ignition cycles, then it disappeared from the menu. Like it was never there.
Was I supposed to leave the Tazer married to Jeep even though I removed it?
Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Yes leave it married. You can remove it if you want (no live settings) but to not unmarry it.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Michael,

The Tazer works by copying your original stock calibration variables into the Tazer unit when you marry it. It will restore these factory stock calibrations whenever you unmarry it.

The non-live functions then overwrite the specific values within the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) directly. It flashes and persists these new values when you perform a PCM reboot. This then let's you disconnect the Tazer without unmarrying it. Whatever values you adjusted such as tire diameter, TPMS thresholds etc. will remain in the PCM for as long as you leave the Tazer married (even while unplugged).

If you desire to use any live functions, such as ESS Disable then you have to leave the Tazer plugged-in, instead of reattaching everything back into the Security Gateway Module (SGW). This is the unit you unplugged the cables from in order to install the Tazer to begin with. The live features require the Tazer to stay attached because it actively interacts with the PCM while the engine is starting, running and stopping. The Tazer then makes itself look like it is the SGW module to keep the PCM happy. Whether it emulates the SGW precisely only ZAutomotive knows that answer.

The non-live functions only set the calibration variables as constants. Therefore no active PCM interaction is required. This allows you to disconnect the married Tazer, letting you reconnect the SGW module. Also if you unplug the Tazer and leave the SGW disconnected, (forgetting to put everything back together the way you originally found it), a U140B fault code (Disconnected Security Gateway Module) error will be generated. This could potentially then illuminate the Check Engine Light.

Lastly, never (I repeat, NEVER) return your Jeep to the dealership for any reason without performing an unmarry. The dealership has no knowledge of your Tazer, and if they were to perform a PCM reflash to incorporate some mandated software update, their tool could (or rather would) overwrite everything the Tazer had set. Worse, whenever you do unmarry your Tazer sometime in the future it would lose whatever new update was just installed returning everything back to the original factory stock settings. Perhaps even potentially creating other problems due to a calibration set that no longer mates with the new software. This could even potentially render your Jeep totally unusable. I would also guarantee that this would most certainly void your warranty.

If you always unmarry, on any dealership visit, then any subsequent remarry will store away the new software calibrations and nothing will potentially be lost or broken. Using the Tazer correctly does come with some responsibility.

Hope this helps you better understand how the Tazer works.

Jay

OP
OP
Roadglider09

Roadglider09

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Michael,

The Tazer works by copying your original stock calibration variables into the Tazer unit when you marry it. It will restore these factory stock calibrations whenever you unmarry it.

The non-live functions then overwrite the specific values within the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) directly. It flashes and persists these new values when you perform a PCM reboot. This then let's you disconnect the Tazer without unmarrying it. Whatever values you adjusted such as tire diameter, TPMS thresholds etc. will remain in the PCM for as long as you leave the Tazer married (even while unplugged).

If you desire to use any live functions, such as ESS Disable then you have to leave the Tazer plugged-in, instead of reattaching everything back into the Security Gateway Module (SGW). This is the unit you unplugged the cables from in order to install the Tazer to begin with. The live features require the Tazer to stay attached because it actively interacts with the PCM while the engine is starting, running and stopping. The Tazer then makes itself look like it is the SGW module to keep the PCM happy. Whether it emulates the SGW precisely only ZAutomotive knows that answer.

The non-live functions only set the calibration variables as constants. Therefore no active PCM interaction is required. This allows you to disconnect the married Tazer, letting you reconnect the SGW module. Also if you unplug the Tazer and leave the SGW disconnected, (forgetting to put everything back together the way you originally found it), a U140B fault code (Disconnected Security Gateway Module) error will be generated. This could potentially then illuminate the Check Engine Light.

Lastly, never (I repeat, NEVER) return your Jeep to the dealership for any reason without performing an unmarry. The dealership has no knowledge of your Tazer, and if they were to perform a PCM reflash to incorporate some mandated software update, their tool could (or rather would) overwrite everything the Tazer had set. Worse, whenever you do unmarry your Tazer sometime in the future it would lose whatever new update was just installed returning everything back to the original factory stock settings. Perhaps even potentially creating other problems due to a calibration set that no longer mates with the new software. This could even potentially render your Jeep totally unusable. I would also guarantee that this would most certainly void your warranty.

If you always unmarry, on any dealership visit, then any subsequent remarry will store away the new software calibrations and nothing will potentially be lost or broken. Using the Tazer correctly does come with some responsibility.

Jay
Excellent, very detailed explanation, and exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler
Thank you Jay for the awesome explanation.

I discovered that if you uplug the Tazer to go to the dealer and dont plug the connectors back into the SGW that the 8.4 screen doesnt boot, but the vehicle is still driveable.

I have only taken mine to the dealer once, and did not unmarry the Tazer, just removed it. They DID do a software update, since they changed the steering gearbox. I guess if I ever unmarry, itll return it back to the original programming?

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a possibility that the steering calibrations are not something the Tazer saves off. If they are then yes sir when you eventually unmarry your unit, the calibrations will certainly be overwitten with whatever stock values we're originally set the instant you first married your Tazer.

You will need to have the dealership reflash the PCM. I'm pretty certain they will ask you why you were tampering with your Powertrain Control Module. They probably won't care if you give them an excuse of forgetting about the Tazer. I'm quite certain that FCA has a tenuous relationship with third-party programmers at best.

Jay

Last edited:

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Michael,

Jay
Thanks for this great explanation, I just purchased a Tazer Mini and was going to read up on it before I installed it. I need to change tire size. So are you saying that if I take my Jeep to the dealer, I need to take the Tazer off and un-marry it before getting anything done for the reasons stated above? Would this also negate my change in tire size? Or will that stay?

Timrf79

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Does anyone make an extension cable from the SWW down (as it is tough to reach), allowing easy plug change from Tazer to SGW with cables closer to the "bottom"/foot room?

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for this great explanation, I just purchased a Tazer Mini and was going to read up on it before I installed it. I need to change tire size. So are you saying that if I take my Jeep to the dealer, I need to take the Tazer off and un-marry it before getting anything done for the reasons stated above? Would this also negate my change in tire size? Or will that stay?
Tim,

Yes unfortunately any unmarry restores everything back to the instant it was before being married, including tire size.I t is rather inconvenient to have to remarry and set it all up again.

However, the side effect of having them reflash your PCM while married, far outweighs any inconvenience.

Jay

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Tim,

Yes unfortunately any unmarry restores everything back to the instant it was before being married, including tire size.I t is rather inconvenient to have to remarry and set it all up again.

However, the side effect of having them reflash your PCM while married, far outweighs any inconvenience.

Jay
Thanks , but I already have one wife. Oh, not THAT remarry.

Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Michael,

Jay
Your explanation here is priceless. I have a tazer lite coming in a couple days since Iā€™m getting 35ā€™s installed. I found some other thread that was 95 pages long and could not get myself to read through all 95 pages to find answers to questions you have addressed.

So just to make sure I understand. After following proper procedures for doing the ā€œrebootā€, I can unplug the tazer and reinstall the two connectors back to the cars original locations, and my tire and tpms settings will save. Only when I unmarry before a dealer visit, everything including tire size and tpms will revert back to the ā€œarchiveā€ the taser saved prior to any changes I made.

With the tazer plugged in, will I use the factory sway bar disconnect button to disconnect my sway bar in 2wd up to 30mph? Or do I have to mess around with some cruise control buttons? I read one post that was a little confusing....

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your explanation here is priceless. I have a tazer lite coming in a couple days since Iā€™m getting 35ā€™s installed. I found some other thread that was 95 pages long and could not get myself to read through all 95 pages to find answers to questions you have addressed.

So just to make sure I understand. After following proper procedures for doing the ā€œrebootā€, I can unplug the tazer and reinstall the two connectors back to the cars original locations, and my tire and tpms settings will save. Only when I unmarry before a dealer visit, everything including tire size and tpms will revert back to the ā€œarchiveā€ the taser saved prior to any changes I made.

With the tazer plugged in, will I use the factory sway bar disconnect button to disconnect my sway bar in 2wd up to 30mph? Or do I have to mess around with some cruise control buttons? I read one post that was a little confusing....
Mike,

I'm attaching the Tazer JL Mini User Guide for reference. However I just need to point out that I, like yourself, am just a Tazer user not a ZAutomotive employee or representative. My feedback is therefore not authoritative but just some other guy's understanding (which too may be wrong).

Also for reference, I have a Sport S, not a Rubicon. I personally have no use for the sway-bar feature or it's settings. I have a Teraflex sway-bar quick disconnect kit on my rig. So I have to get out of the cockpit to mechanically either disconnect or reconnect mine. No little fancy pushbutton or fingertip calluses for me. Still, here is my interpretation of reading the manual:

With the non-live settings, if (and only if) the sway bar has been mechanically disconnected (physically), this Tazer setting simply turns off all sway-bar alarms and warnings. Hopefully this doesn't apply to your situation. I'm hoping you have not permanently disconnected your sway-bar. This suspension component is pretty critical for driving on-road at any speed greater than 30mph.

Again in my case, I need to crawl under my Jeep to mechanically reconnect everything. Most often using a pry-bar to get everything to connect back up. The Teraflex quick disco kit is pretty amazing but it does require absolutely flat terrain to reconnect. Otherwise the pry-bar is now pretty much on my list of off-roading essential equipment.

Excuse my little digression, back to your question.

With the live settings (Tazer Mini remains plugged in) the sway-bar option when set to 'on' will allow you to then press the sway bar pushbutton in your cockpit to dynamically (on-the-fly) disconnect your sway bar in either 2wd or 4h. However, for safety, as soon as your vehicle speed goes above 30mph the sway-bar will automatically reconnect and remain connected until the vehicle is brought to a full stop (0mph). It will then automatically disconnect again. It will stay in this mode until you reach down and toggle that little sway-bar pushbutton again to reconnect the sway-bar as normal.

So no, it does not sound like you need to interface this feature further with any cruise control buttons. Just turn the swar-bar feature on, then just use the normal sway-bar control button down near your locker enables for the actual swar-bar control. No pry-bar required for you.

This is my take on things from reading the manual.

Jay

BTW: You wouldn't happen to know what the Tazer Trailer Tow package option does? I recently added the Mopar trailer tow kit and it works fine without using this Tazer option. The ZAutomotive description of this option in their manual sucks. It says it simply enables this tow package. Obviously the tow package appears to be enabled without it. So what does this feature then do?

Please anyone reading this thread who knows this particular Tazer tow feature, please do share. My inquiry into ZAutomotive support via email remains unanswered.

Attachments

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mike,

I forgot to mention that the 'Lite' version of the Tazer JL likely will not support what you're expecting it to do. The lite version is a pretty lame (cheaper) version of the 'Mini'. It's my understanding that it will only do some of the non-live settings.

So not to burst your bubble, but it sounds like you'll need to upgrade to the Mini in order to use any of the sway-bar functionality.

Hope my responses help. On the bright side you have a Rubi. Good luck and take care.

Jay

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Great explanation! To add my two cents, I actually do not believe the Tazer is able to emulate the SGW very well, only the bare minimum that is necessary for function. Not sure if this applies to all model years, but on my 2021 I always get a fault code when my SGW wires are disconnected from the module and connected to the Tazer.
It isnā€™t the same fault code as you mentioned, U140B, which as you said is a SGW disconnection fault. However, I do get a U0186 fault code, which is a ā€˜communication errorā€™ fault and this tells me that the vehicle still realizes that something isnā€™t right. The error is persistent so long as the Tazer is connected. Clearing it does not help as itā€™s back with the next ignition cycle.
Speaking with ZAuto about this, they said they knew all about it and claimed itā€™s caused by the SGW wires being disconnected from the gateway and saying that the code will be there for as long as the Tazer is connected to the jeep, which is why clearing is futile.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
David,

I posted earlier responses on some other threads of my worries about using the Tazer's 'Live' features because of the permanently disconnected SGW. For people with the lame UConnect 3 without any cellular radio this is likely no big deal.

However, for most everybody else with the UConnect 4 where over-the-air connectivity to the internet is available whenever inside cellular coverage, this then poses a potential security vulnerability, regardless of whether you subscribe to any on-line services or not. These 'digitally connected' radios are addressable remotely whether you want them to be or not. Their MAC Address is discoverable anytime that they are within a cell's network.

The automotive industry (including FCA) mitigates remote intrusion to be constrained to only the infotainment subsystem with the implementation of the Security Gateway Module (SGW). This module limits access to the vehicle's control mechanisms such as the Engine, Transmission and Body controllers. The SGW requires the use of authenticated access controls. In other words, every message on the control bus must be from a source that has been previously established as trustworthy.

Without the SGW, any message (from any source, including from somewhere remote) can potentially be injected into the control mechanisms.

While people on those other threads accused me of wearing a tin-foil hat and being a conspiracy theory luney tune, I'm only pointing out what the primary purpose of what the SGW does and why it's there in the first place. Granted, it very well may be that nothing nefarious will ever happen. But in today's wild west of cyber-security hacks and vulnerabilities, without the SGW the number of possible attack vectors increase rather dramatically (significantly).

I'm not saying necessarily that remote attaks certainly will occur, only that it now has a better chance. I'm saying that without the SGW the probability of unintended and unauthorized remote access can go up rather substantially. And remember Murphy's Law: "If it CAN happen, it WILL happen." Non zero probabilities are tricky things.

So with that said, and to now open the floodgate on this thread with the 27 million opinions that everyone will be expressing, I'll personally NEVER use a 'live' Tazer feature. I'll not leave my SGW disconnected other than to program my tire size and a few other 'non-live' settings. Even though I have the lame UConnect 3 with no cellular connectivity.

Call me anything you want, but being a Software Engineer by trade I do understand the importance of cyber-security, especially with moving vehicles.

The bad guys found a way to make airliners into missiles. Keep being naive into thinking they won't try to do it anywhere they can.

Until ZAutomotive implements all the designed in cryptographic security functionality that the SGW implements, the SGW stays plugged in on my Jeep.

Jay
Sponsored