Sponsored

Tazer Mini JL - Question about what is lost?

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
@HungryHound

Thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of JL/JT owner's are using their vehicles daily with a security bypass installed.

Guys/Gals with tuners, Tazer JL's, JSCAN, etc., etc..

Also, thousands and thousands of others with different brand vehicles, run with security bypasses installed..

The chances of you or most anyone else having a bad experience, thanks to a security bypass are probably the same as you winning the State lottery..

I might add, if someone wants your JL, they will get it regardless of whether you have a security bypass in place or not..

In closing, again, I am not discounting the breach of security ... but come on...........

Should add.... that this forum has been up and running for well over 2.5 yrs.. The Tazer JL has been around for 2 yrs or so... Tazer JL was "FIRST TO MARKET" and no one has ever made a forum post in which they said they were hacked, etc. thanks to a gateway bypass...

I live in a small beach town so I'm not normally concerned with security; however, we have a generation of kids who get their kicks running up Game Stop stock prices. Probably think making Jeeps crash would be fun too.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I live in a small beach town so I'm not normally concerned with security; however, we have a generation of kids who get their kicks running up Game Stop stock prices. Probably think making Jeeps crash would be fun too.
@HungryHound

I wouldn't care if you / I,lived in NYS, SF, Miami or wherever.... the chance of some dipshit hacking your JL are like you winning the lottery. You / I have more things to worry about in life, then this stupido chitt .. Pay your vehicle insurance and enjoy your JL..

fitz1015

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
it is a crazy time we do live in. but like it was said. the chances of that happening would be really really low.

the more likely thing that does happen is that criminals will walk behind you and clone you key signal.

If someone really wants to get your jeep they will get it. as to kids just messing with people, they would most likely pick older models as its easier to bypass the security.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it is a crazy time we do live in. but like it was said. the chances of that happening would be really really low.

the more likely thing that does happen is that criminals will walk behind you and clone you key signal.

If someone really wants to get your jeep they will get it. as to kids just messing with people, they would most likely pick older models as its easier to bypass the security.
True, but in my old TJ, if I turn the key off, the engine stops. Not a big fan of push button stop since the ECU latches it in. Toyota never proved that it's runaway Camry problem was solved. I don't believe that floor mat story they released. What's to stop someone from putting your Jeep up for ransom? You pay to get it unhacked. I know it's unlikely, just interesting to think about.

fitz1015

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
True, but in my old TJ, if I turn the key off, the engine stops. Not a big fan of push button stop since the ECU latches it in. Toyota never proved that it's runaway Camry problem was solved. I don't believe that floor mat story they released. What's to stop someone from putting your Jeep up for ransom? You pay to get it unhacked. I know it's unlikely, just interesting to think about.
i get you 100% man. as we move closer and closer to all electric vehicles being a thing. I bet that we start to hear more stories about hacks against them. that is a big reason that manufacturers are pushing to lock down access to the computer on the vehicles.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
All,

Really, really fair points. The one super great thing that the bad guys can't hack in the JL is the steering. It's still mechanically connected, not yet drive by wire.

However, both the throttle and braking systems are. Great, they'll floor the accelerator, disable your brakes (all but the emergency) and let you puzzle the best course to steer before crashing.

You do your own math.

They now have fortified airliner cockpits so that it will literally require a blow-torch to break into. Why do you think that is?

Pilots are instructed to land the plane safely independent of whatever carnage may happen from terrorists on the other side of those doors. Have you ever heard of another hijacking since?

Please take security into account for both your own needs and wants, but please understand how pissed people will be at YOU if your Jeep hurts or kills someone they love because the bad guys found a way to use your vehicle as a missile.

Sure the odds are low (like hitting the lottery), but there are people that hit those odds, even the half billion dollar payouts, quite routinely.

Be as naive or informed as you want. It only takes one hacked vehicle to create many funerals or shattered lives.

Like it or not, the Goddamn bad guys are winning. I for one will NOT make it any easier for them. Way too many of my fellow Marines and Service Members have sacrificed so much trying to keep your ability of driving your Jeep in any way you want.

However, if you also want to make it so the bad guys have a harder effort in changing our living habits, pressure (or lobby) the tool providers to work within the very competent industry-provided security gateway mechanisms rather than defeating them.

We all have to take some responsibility. Especially if (when) it happens where we either did nothing, or even much worse, we enabled any truly horrendous outcome.

Leaving the SGW plugged in is a easy-peasy, no-brainer, high-priority for me. Complain away. I'll gladly, willingly and persistently take the moral high ground. Your life matters too.

Jay

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i get you 100% man. as we move closer and closer to all electric vehicles being a thing. I bet that we start to hear more stories about hacks against them. that is a big reason that manufacturers are pushing to lock down access to the computer on the vehicles.
Yeah, I just ordered a Rubicon 4xe. Big jump from my 98 TJ. Interesting to see what glitches that thing comes with from the factory.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
odds are far greater to me that someone would lift the hood and steal a battery because J**p didn’t see fit to tie the hood switches in to the alarm.
a Tazer Mini left plugged in can tie the hood switches in to the alarm and handle that (like J**p should have in the first place).

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

odds are far greater to me that someone would lift the hood and steal a battery because J**p didn’t see fit to tie the hood switches in to the alarm.
a Tazer Mini left plugged in can tie the hood switches in to the alarm and handle that (like J**p should have in the first place).
Fortunately, the Tazer lets you do that. Ask me how I remember if my Tazer is plugged in, or not. :D

Last edited:

Rubiconchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
How do I shut off the feature that doesnt let the jeep move with the door open? Can't find it. And my rear locker doesn't work in 2 high all the time.

Sponsored

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel
HI Everyone,

I appreciate all the details that have been posted in this thread.

We have less than 300 miles on our JLUR diesel. We've had it since March. Most of that time was spent doing upgrades on weekends (and a Metal Cloak lift install in Wichita).

Shortly after buying the JL I bought the Tazer Mini, the SGW extension cable and Tazer's camera. (The camera was kind of an impulse buy after reading about a combo package from Northridge.)

I'm in the middle of several electrical installs (Rockslide steps, CB, and the front camera). I have all the wiring run through the firewall and just trying to tweak the location of the camera so I complete the camera wire run and seal the firewall penetration hole.

After reading this thread I may be overthinking installing the Tazer Mini. I will definitely use it for changing the tire size. The question is whether I leave it installed so I can use the live functions, or remove it and un-marry it. Worst case I leave it off and have an easier install of the camera at a future time being that the camera wiring will already be installed.

A concern about the SGW is part of the decision. Leaving the Mini out of the JL will give me some time offroad to make sure there aren't any electrical gremlins that might be complicated by the Mini.

Did anyone else go through a similar thought process?

Thanks for any opinions you'd like to share.

Take Care,

Jeff

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The question is whether I leave it installed so I can use the live functions, or remove it and un-marry it.
If you unmarry the Tazer it reverts all your settings back to what they were before the Tazer was married to the vehicle.

If you don't wish to use the Tazer for anything other than changing your tire size, simply unplug it. When you are ready for live features and other non-live features just plug it back in.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

How do I shut off the feature that doesnt let the jeep move with the door open? Can't find it.
I just noticed this was posted.

That feature has been removed from the Tazer. You cannot disable auto park.

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel
Hi David,

If you unmarry the Tazer it reverts all your settings back to what they were before the Tazer was married to the vehicle.

If you don't wish to use the Tazer for anything other than changing your tire size, simply unplug it. When you are ready for live features and other non-live features just plug it back in.
Thanks for the reply.

I should have been more clear... I should have clarified that removing/un-marrying would be done before any dealer visits. Isn't that the correct way to make sure there are no issues? (In which case I understand any preferences would need to be re-entered after marrying the Tazer back up after the dealer.)

Thanks for the input on the auto-park. That's disappointing; but, I understand why it could be a problem.

Take Care,

Jeff

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Isn't that the correct way to make sure there are no issues? (In which case I understand any preferences would need to be re-entered after marrying the Tazer back up after the dealer.)
Correct.
Sponsored