First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2020 Sahara JLU
Occupation
retired
When my dealer installed my 35s on my new 21 JLUR they also used a Hypertech device to adjust the speedometer. I purchased a Tazer mini for other features it has, but I don't know how to best approach installing it. Since the dealer installed the Hypertech should I just begin with my install of the Tazer mini so it will have the current state as its benchmark state, or should I unmarry the Hypertech then begin with the Tazer? TEXTed support this AM but no response yet, and I am ready yesterday to begin this process. New to this tool, so I will definitely need some time to get acquainted with its abilities\features\usage. Don't have a lot of time as west trip starts near term!! Can someone advise? Thanks!
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

should I unmarry the Hypertech then begin with the Tazer?
Yes. Set everything back to default with the Hypertech first. Then install, marry the Tazer and redo all settings.

OP
OP

rfg9585

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
FYI- Just got a reply from support and much to my surprise they told me I did NOT have to uninstall the hypertech before installing my mini. Gonna try and see what happens.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
FYI- Just got a reply from support and much to my surprise they told me I did NOT have to uninstall the hypertech before installing my mini. Gonna try and see what happens.
@rfg9585

Actually, I would have expected, your response from Joe or Ian at ZAutomotive would be as you received... I would have told you the same in this thread had I seen your post earlier.

Z just gave you guidance in regard to their offering and no more....

While they were replying to you, they probably were wondering what I am wondering... Wondering.. why the heck, would you.... why would you.... leave the Hypertech unit married/installed since you purchased a Tazer JL and plan to use it. Sure you could do this but...

What would make sense is to unmarry the Hypertech and set it on a shelf until you can sell it. Now, install / marry your Tazer JL Mini and use it for tire size and well, all the other terrific features that go hand and hand with the Tazer JL.

Another point is IF, if you were to have an issue, you will be sitting there trying to figure out what the fruck....

With one programmer you will have one programmer in the mix and not two.. if /when you have problems / hiccups / quirks you will be have an easier path to figuring out why.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rfg9585

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I do agree, but was lazy and hoped I could avoid the process to unmarry Hypertech. Seems to be a pain as it requires removing the glovebox and I have never done that.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Seems to be a pain as it requires removing the glovebox and I have never done that.
This will show you how to remove the glovebox.

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
@rfg9585

Actually, I would have expected, your response from Joe or Ian at ZAutomotive would be as you received... I would have told you the same in this thread had I seen your post earlier.

Z just gave you guidance in regard to their offering and no more....

While they were replying to you, they probably were wondering what I am wondering... Wondering.. why the heck, would you.... why would you.... leave the Hypertech unit married/installed since you purchased a Tazer JL and plan to use it. Sure you could do this but...

What would make sense is to unmarry the Hypertech and set it on a shelf until you can sell it. Now, install / marry your Tazer JL Mini and use it for tire size and well, all the other terrific features that go hand and hand with the Tazer JL.

Another point is IF, if you were to have an issue, you will be sitting there trying to figure out what the fruck....

With one programmer you will have one programmer in the mix and not two.. if /when you have problems / hiccups / quirks you will be have an easier path to figuring out why.
I have actually been thinking of using two programmers for the simple fact that the Tazer needs to be unmarried prior to any dealer service involving a potential flash, losing operational changes such as gear ratio and tire size. I prefer a device that makes those sorts of changes without requiring them to be undone before any potential dealer flash.

Therefore, my thoughts were to use something like JScan to make tire/gear/fog/DRL/LED changes, then marry my Tazer to my Jeep for things like ESS disable, light show, etc.

In the event I needed to unmarry the Tazer for any reason, wouldn't that approach preserve the operational tire/gear/fog/DRL/LED setttings?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Austintatious

As for me when I was under warranty, I wanted to be able to go to the stealership Service Department with no tell tale signs... no readily apparent trail.... that I have had a programmer anywhere near my JL.

I did not want the dealer Tech to hook up their WiTech II and see setting changes / multiple setting changes.... to include changes he/she, the Tech knows that they can or cannot do for an owner.

With that said, you unmarry the JL, the Tech will be clueless you are using a programmer..... Yes, it possible to dig deep deep and see but the Tech doing this.... no....

SO, it really is prudent to unmarry the Tazer JL or if you use JSCAN, to put all settings back to stock (a pain in the Arse with JSCAN) before your JL goes in for Service..

For those that say a Tazer JL is a pain to unmarry and remove the Tazer JL, that is a crock of chitt.

That is no longer the case.. since the availability of the SGW Extension Cable.... With that cable in the mix any guy or gal in less then say 5 min. can unmarry a Tazer JL and remove it's associated hardware.

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
@Austintatious

As for me when I was under warranty, I wanted to be able to go to the stealership Service Department with no tell tale signs... no readily apparent trail.... that I have had a programmer anywhere near my JL.

I did not want the dealer Tech to hook up their WiTech II and see setting changes / multiple setting changes.... to include changes he/she, the Tech knows that they can or cannot do for an owner.

With that said, you unmarry the JL, the Tech will be clueless you are using a programmer..... Yes, it possible to dig deep deep and see but the Tech doing this.... no....

SO, it really is prudent to unmarry the Tazer JL or if you use JSCAN, to put all settings back to stock (a pain in the Arse with JSCAN) before your JL goes in for Service..

For those that say a Tazer JL is a pain to unmarry and remove the Tazer JL, that is a crock of chitt.

That is no longer the case.. since the availability of the SGW Extension Cable.... With that cable in the mix any guy or gal in less then say 5 min. can unmarry a Tazer JL and remove it's associated hardware.
I'm not interested in arguing the merits of one product over another, I think the Tazer is great (I own one) but as a user I'm just not too excited about my diesel JL possibly being disabled due to all the emissions crap and the last thing I want to worry about if I'm sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow to the dealership is having to plug in my Tazer to unmarry it simply because I used it to change tire size and light functions.

I used a Flashcal on my 2015 JK to adjust tire size and DRL's and never had a warranty issue so I'm not too concerned about that. Nor were those basic changes ever over-written by a dealer software flash. So I liked the fact that I could make those permanent operational changes and forget about it.

Back to my original question, is it possible to make those tire size/lighting changes with something like JSCAN and then Tazer simply sees them as factory settings so in the event Tazer needs to be unmarried it doesn't affect those settings?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not interested in arguing the merits of one product over another, I think the Tazer is great (I own one) but as a user I'm just not too excited about my diesel JL possibly being disabled due to all the emissions crap and the last thing I want to worry about if I'm sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow to the dealership is having to plug in my Tazer to unmarry it simply because I used it to change tire size and light functions.

I used a Flashcal on my 2015 JK to adjust tire size and DRL's and never had a warranty issue so I'm not too concerned about that. Nor were those basic changes ever over-written by a dealer software flash. So I liked the fact that I could make those permanent operational changes and forget about it.

Back to my original question, is it possible to make those tire size/lighting changes with something like JSCAN and then Tazer simply sees them as factory settings so in the event Tazer needs to be unmarried it doesn't affect those settings?
I was not arguing/talking merits of one programmer or the other... I was trying to point out... my main point an owner is absolutely pound foolish going to a dealership Service Department with his/her still under warranty vehicle with programmer attached or settings in place.. regardless of the make, model or year..

Issue is your JL is when hooked to the WiTech ll. At that point the manufacturer and the dealershipTech are privy to all lets say.

Glad to hear you are not concerned as you never were caught / cited (Warranty work denied) for Jay Walking so to speak with years ago...

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
I was not arguing/talking merits of one programmer or the other... I was trying to point out... my main point an owner is absolutely pound foolish going to a dealership Service Department with hi/her still under warranty vehicle and a programmer attached or settings in place.. regardless of the make, model or year..

Issue is your JL is hooked to the WiTech ll. At that point the manufacturer and the dealershipTech are privy to all lets say.

Glad to hear you are not concerned as you never were caught / cited for Jay Walking so to speak with years ago...
Okay, I totally understand your concerns about the dealership but again - is it possible to make those tire size/lighting changes with something like JSCAN and then Tazer simply sees them as factory settings so in the event Tazer needs to be unmarried it doesn't affect those settings?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

When the Tazer is initially married to the vehicle, it will make a backup of whatever settings are already there. When the Tazer is unmarried, it will revert everything back to those settings. So the answer to your question is yes.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, I totally understand your concerns about the dealership but again - is it possible to make those tire size/lighting changes with something like JSCAN and then Tazer simply sees them as factory settings so in the event Tazer needs to be unmarried it doesn't affect those settings?
@Austintatious

IF you make changes with JSCAN and then you marry your Tazer JL Mini to the vehicle the Tazer JL copies whatever it sees..... now when you unmarry the Tazer JL, puts that exact copy back.

Hope others that read this do not follow your lead so to speak and do hear what I mentioned earlier.. Don't go to the Service Department with Tazer JL married, Tazer installed / JSCAN setting in play..

By the way to much drama ... in regard to tow truck, emissions, yada yada... Guys/gals have been doing the unmarry the Tazer JL and go to the dealer dance for close to 3 years now. IF the user has a clue there is no drama lets say...

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
When the Tazer is initially married to the vehicle, it will make a backup of whatever settings are already there. When the Tazer is unmarried, it will revert everything back to those settings. So the answer to your question is yes.
Thanks.
Sponsored