Tazer JL radio

Fredito75

First Name
freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
I unmarried and unplugged my Tazer JL from my 8.4 screen for a dealership visit, however once I unplug the tazer my radio will not turn on, nor will my backup camera work. Once I plug in my unmarried tazer everything works. Please help...
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I unmarried and unplugged my Tazer JL from my 8.4 screen for a dealership visit, however once I unplug the tazer my radio will not turn on, nor will my backup camera work. Once I plug in my unmarried tazer everything works. Please help...
You have to re-seat the two modular plugs that go into the TazerJL back into the box that's mounted on the back of the kick panel speaker pod. Everything should work again after you do that. Make sure both plugs are firmly connected.

OP
OP
Fredito75

Fredito75

First Name
freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
You have to re-seat the two modular plugs that go into the TazerJL back into the box that's mounted on the back of the kick panel speaker pod. Everything should work again after you do that. Make sure both plugs are firmly connected.
I have re-seat the two plugs back into the port several times and still no luck.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have re-seat the two plugs back into the port several times and still no luck.
You may want to inspect the pins on the box behind the kick panel speaker, ensuring none of them are bent. The fact that plugging the TazerJL back in works, while the original stock box doesn't, indicates the original box's connections aren't making good contact. It doesn't take much to bend pins like these.

OP
OP
Fredito75

Fredito75

First Name
freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
You may want to inspect the pins on the box behind the kick panel speaker, ensuring none of them are bent. The fact that plugging the TazerJL back in works, while the original stock box doesn't, indicates the original box's connections aren't making good contact. It doesn't take much to bend pins like these.

I will check on that thanks. Now the next question if the pins are bent or damage how do repair that? Also it makes sense the other day with plugs plugged into the jeep the radio was making a weird noise through the speaker.

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Fredito75

Fredito75

First Name
freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

Revive this thread as I am experiencing this same issue but highly doubt this is an issue with bent pins. I say this because I have the extension cable (that makes adding/removing in the Tazer much easier), and had that installed without the Tazer for almost a year without an issue.

Recently, I installed the Tazer again to adjust tire size and some other options, went on a wheeling trip and experienced many issues, for which I am now taking the Jeep back to the dealership to have them check. I unmarried my Tazer last night, following the 2 sleep cycles, and plugged the extension back in. However, this morning, the screen was blank and would not turn on.

I don't see how removing the Tazer and plugging in the extension, which is essentially the same setup I had previously for many months without issue, is causing a problem.

Has anyone else experience this issue and determined that the root cause was NOT bent pins?

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You may have dislodged the plug or plugs that plug into the gateway on the back of your driver's side kick panel speaker box.

Check those when you have a chance.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Has anyone else experience this issue and determined that the root cause was NOT bent pins?
Typically a symptom of not un-marrying the Tazer properly. Re-marry the Tazer. Perform the 2 full sleep cycles. Then, un-marry the Tazer and perform another 2 full sleep cycles. When doing each sleep cycle, shut off the vehicle, exit the vehicle, lock the doors and walk away for about 5 minutes.

Sponsored

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

Is there anything that the dealer can do, given it’s with them right now? I don’t want them spending any time if this is simply because it did not unmarry correctly.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Is there anything that the dealer can do, given it’s with them right now?
I'd be leery of having the dealer do anything while the vehicle is in the state it is in. You can have them try to flash the vehicle to its normal state, but beware of that fact that they may not do so if they know you made changes to the vehicle using a Tazer. This is why one should always, always unmarry a Tazer before heading to the dealer for any type of service. You might get luck with them just pulling the radio fuse while the vehicle is running and replacing. This should reset the radio, but there is no guaranty this will fix you issue.

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

I'd be leery of having the dealer do anything while the vehicle is in the state it is in. You can have them try to flash the vehicle to its normal state, but beware of that fact that they may not do so if they know you made changes to the vehicle using a Tazer. This is why one should always, always unmarry a Tazer before heading to the dealer for any type of service. You might get luck with them just pulling the radio fuse while the vehicle is running and replacing. This should reset the radio, but there is no guaranty this will fix you issue.
It's already been with them a day due to issues with a coolant leak and electrical issues. Should I call them and tell them to just disregard the blank screen?

If they flash the vehicle to it's normal state, will it break when I try to use the Tazer again, or will it just be like setting it up for the first time?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

electrical issues.
What other electrical issues?

Should I call them and tell them to just disregard the blank screen?
Hard to say without knowing what else you have going on with the electrical issues. I am surprised they haven't asked you or mentioned anything about your use of the Tazer. If the vehicle is already being looked out, without them saying anything about Tazer use, couldn't hurt to see if they can fix the issue at this point. Just be prepared for them to possibly blame you using the Tazer. I don't want to put you in a situation where any repairs will cost you money out of your pocket.

If they flash the vehicle to it's normal state, will it break when I try to use the Tazer again, or will it just be like setting it up for the first time?
It will be like marrying the Tazer for the first time.

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

What other electrical issues?
Unsure, went offroading a few weeks ago for the first time with my new 37s" and the battery almost drained out on the trail. I ended up unplugging my aux panel and winch, which resolved the issue, but they had been plugged that way for 2.5 years without any issues, so it's odd that those would be the source issue all of a sudden after upgrading to larger tires. Battery test was inconclusive at AutoZone; they also said there could be an issue with the starter or alternator. Added complexity is I have the eTorque.

The biggest concern that I currently have is my warranty ran out about 3 weeks ago and I'm scared shitless they're going to come back and charge me thousands of dollars in repairs. They said they would do the initial diagnosis on the coolant for free, but unsure how they'll approach the electrical.
Sponsored