Sponsored

Tazer JL - more than just a tire size programmer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
joe@zauto

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
Just got my Currie axles installed. Have ABS, ESC, and BRAKE light on. Any chance your upcoming update address these issues?
Sounds like you don’t have the abs sensors working?
Sponsored

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
TazerJL Mini:
Can I just unplug the mini without unmarrying/remarrying?
(like to program lightshow?)

JlRubi18

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Rubicon
Nervous and I feel bad for asking these questions but this is the place to ask...

I recently purchased Tazer Mini, mainly for the tire size, cargo camera and having the other options is cool to have at my disposal.

1. Can I just simply plug in my Tazer, marry it, set tire size, enable cargo cam and tpm warning lower then unplug it? Or should I unmarry it first then unplug it? I guess I’m afraid I’d be one of the goofs who would go in for service and be like, oh shit, I left it plugged in!

2. Will the new tire size work without the Tazer being plugged in? Will the cargo camera work without the Tazer plugged in also? After unmarry does the programming go back to oem?

3. Do I have to download the Tazer program and sync my Tazer Mini first before I plug it in to my JL? Or is the Tazer program just used for updates?

4. Do you have to Reboot after ANY/ALL changes?

Sorry, just nervous and trying to make sure I’m doing this correctly before I jump in head first.

Thanks in advance,

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Nervous and I feel bad for asking these questions but this is the place to ask...

I recently purchased Tazer Mini, mainly for the tire size, cargo camera and having the other options is cool to have at my disposal.

1. Can I just simply plug in my Tazer, marry it, set tire size, enable cargo cam and tpm warning lower then unplug it? Or should I unmarry it first then unplug it? I guess I’m afraid I’d be one of the goofs who would go in for service and be like, oh shit, I left it plugged in!

2. Will the new tire size work without the Tazer being plugged in? Will the cargo camera work without the Tazer plugged in also? After unmarry does the programming go back to oem?

3. Do I have to download the Tazer program and sync my Tazer Mini first before I plug it in to my JL? Or is the Tazer program just used for updates?

4. Do you have to Reboot after ANY/ALL changes?

Sorry, just nervous and trying to make sure I’m doing this correctly before I jump in head first.

Thanks in advance,
if all the changes you make are system setting then yes, plug in, marry, make settings changes, do full reboot, and then unplug. Do not unmarry because that will set it back to stock. You do not have to unmarry to unplug the tazer.

Now if you want to utilize any of the live settings like (auto stop kill) you have to leave it plugged in.

to know what is a system setting and what is a live setting go to their website and download the instructions.

the tazer utility is used to update the firmware on your tazer and i believe make custom light shows. So you don't have to do that yet, but its best to load the latest firmware.

you only have to reboot after any change to a system setting. Live setting changes no reboot

also most if not all this information is in their instructions.

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
The thing about removing it prior to a service visit can depend upon your relationship with the dealer, or the dealer itself. I have an excellent relationship with mine, and they don't care about it, but I always remove anyways. You don't want to end up with a petty dealer who may want to tell FCA you're using a programmer & end up denying a warranty claim. But these things are so popular, it's pretty widely known owners have them.

Regarding removing the device, I'd recommend reading the install instructions and review the live vs. vehicle settings. The unit is only required to remain plugged in for the live settings (which makes sense). Unmarrying returns everything back to stock. Much like a pc, it's always a good idea to reboot after any changes or installs are introduced.

There are countless threads here about the Tazer. It's time-consuming, but if you go thru enough of them, I'd pretty much guarantee you'll find an answer to a question you probably haven't even thought of yet. Use The Force, Luke!

https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerJLMiniUserGuide1111.pdf

upload_2019-7-26_7-31-53.png

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The thing about removing it prior to a service visit can depend upon your relationship with the dealer, or the dealer itself. I have an excellent relationship with mine, and they don't care about it, but I always remove anyways. You don't want to end up with a petty dealer who may want to tell FCA you're using a programmer & end up denying a warranty claim. But these things are so popular, it's pretty widely known owners have them.

Regarding removing the device, I'd recommend reading the install instructions and review the live vs. vehicle settings. The unit is only required to remain plugged in for the live settings (which makes sense). Unmarrying returns everything back to stock. Much like a pc, it's always a good idea to reboot after any changes or installs are introduced.

There are countless threads here about the Tazer. It's time-consuming, but if you go thru enough of them, I'd pretty much guarantee you'll find an answer to a question you probably haven't even thought of yet. Use The Force, Luke!

https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerJLMiniUserGuide1111.pdf

upload_2019-7-26_7-31-53.png
I'm gonna add something to the install instructions because I did this last night with the tazer lite and my hand has cuts to prove it lol. The instructions say to "Simply locate the SGW and unplug it's two connectors by pressing the tab with your index finger and gently pulling straight down on the wires"

There is no simple about that. First it should tell you that the tab is on the back side of the plug(not on the front where it would be easy and make sense). 2nd after cutting your hand, and hurting your fingers, and cursing by trying to push the non existent tab on the front side of the plug, its still hard to twist your hand the opposite direction and get your index finger up on the tab and then try to get enough grip on the wires with your other fingers.

I eventually got it, but i'm sure not looking forward to the time I absolutely have to put it back to stock. Oil changes and inspections they won't even know it is installed unless it blocks their access through the ODB port...

Anybody know if it blocks out the odb port?

Daved1999

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JL)
How do you do the light show with your fob?
Unlock, unlock, lock, unlock. It will start with show #1. In order to advance to the next show, press unlock and it will advance to the next one. Continue to press unlock to keep advancing to the next one. When you want to stop the show, press lock.

Daved1999

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JL)
Just got my JL Mini. I have a manual 6 speed. I like the features but, mine is glitchy and slow. It also freezes up at times when using live functions. Also, I have not been able to get the winch mode to work. It let's me turn it on but, it never revs up the engine at all. Anyone else have this issue? I'd also like to suggest a modification to the rock crawl function. I'd like to have the ability to leave it engaged while out of the vehicle to use my winch for recovery of other vehicles. I need all 4 brakes to stay locked while outside working the winch. That way my Jeep won't roll so easily if there is no one available to hold the brakes. Especially with a manual transmission. The park brake is simply not enough...

Sponsored

JlRubi18

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Rubicon
I finally got around to installing my Tazer JL Mini. I Married it and set my tire size, cargo cam and In Motion - Yes. I did the Reboot and open closed the door, waited for dash to clear then start the Jeep.

Everything went well except now I get the message “Park sens temporarily unavailable.” Any ideas what I missed? I did not change any setting regarding the Parking Sensor either. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

77C77355-7ADA-491C-830B-CC5D523F78D6.jpeg

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
There shouldn't be any compatibility/functionality issues with 2020 JL models, right?

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
Everything went well except now I get the message “Park sens temporarily unavailable.” Any ideas what I missed? I did not change any setting regarding the Parking Sensor either. Any help would be appreciated.
I think I saw this once. I verified the settings again, did a full reboot, and never saw it again.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Is there anyway to turn the full sized Tazer into the Mini?

mischman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Whats the difference between the Tazer Jl and the tazer JL mini?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.