Sponsored

Tazer JL - more than just a tire size programmer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
Can’t remember if I’m on 11.0.5 or .6. Will have to check tomorrow.

I’m hoping I’m on .5 and that .6 is the second version with TurnCam.... reason being, TurnCam is buggy. So I’m hoping I’m on .5 and .6 is an improvement.

I get a whole lot of ungraceful exits from TurnCam mode. When my turn signal comes of, the screen does not always gracefully return to the screen I was previously on. It works as expected maybe 50% of the time.

About 50% of the time, it works as expected (returns to previous screen). 40% of the time, it switches to another random screen - very annoying. 10% of the time it just gets stuck with the backup cam on and never exits until I manually override it.
I installed .5 and took it out because it was very buggy. I have not installed .6 yet til I hear more positive remarks.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Turn cam is rock solid for me in 12.06. I ran it for a week while my doors were off. Just disabled now that they’re back on. Seems like a good build. Upgrade if you’ve not, already.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
For those that have a Tazer JL and are not running firmware 11.0.6 , you might want to update your Tazer JL to it.

For instructions regarding the Tazer JL, 11.0.6 firmware, click here:
https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerJLUserGuide1106.pdf

I can tell you that I have been using 11.0.6 for 10 days now, and that the 11.0.6 update update is aok to install... You should dismiss those early adopter worries/concerns. Can report that disable auto par, disable ESS and B/U camera on with turn signal work flawlessly. ESS light comes on very fast now.
Do you need to unmarry to go from 11.0.3 to 11.0.6? If yes, do you have to reset all the previous settings when remarryimg

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Turn cam is rock solid for me in 12.06. I ran it for a week while my doors were off. Just disabled now that they’re back on. Seems like a good build. Upgrade if you’ve not, already.
Remind me, are you using CarPlay? If so, does TurnCam always revert to your CarPlay screen when your turn signal goes off? Also, do you use both “normal” signaling and also convenience “tap signal” with 3 flashes?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Do you need to unmarry to go from 11.0.3 to 11.0.6? If yes, do you have to reset all the previous settings when remarryimg
@Martindfletcher

It is recommended that you unmarry the Tazer JL or Tazer JL Lite, before you update the firmware on the Tazer JL or Tazer JL Lite.

So, you unmarry, do the firmware update and then remarry.

You will find that most, if not all of your settings, will be there after a remarry.

You may have to redo a setting.... I think a forum member mentioned his tire size was not set-up after remarrying.

Reality is, this is no big deal as setting up everything and anything is easy easy with the Tazer Jl or Tazer JL Lite programmers.

I keep a cheat sheet in regard to my specific, Tazer JL settings. If I ever had to redo settings, I have the necessary info handy.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Remind me, are you using CarPlay? If so, does TurnCam always revert to your CarPlay screen when your turn signal goes off? Also, do you use both “normal” signaling and also convenience “tap signal” with 3 flashes?
Have not used TurnCAM with CarPlay or tap signaling but will test today and see, I have had TurnCAM not work like maybe twice while signaling and not sure why but it’s only occurred those times and been flawless the rest.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I do use CarPlay. TurnCam goes back to whatever screen was on before signaling. I do use “tap signal.”

Maybe once or twice the backup cam didn’t turn off after I was done signaling, but all I had to do was tap the X in the corner and all was well.

One thing to note when using TurnCam - objects shown are definitely closer than they appear. For example, that car you see behind you when merging onto the highway...

(I can’t wait for my backordered rugged ridge mirrors to arrive, but TurnCam makes me feel a bit safer in the interim.)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@aug0211

With Android auto the camera on with turns works without any issues. This goes for "normal" signaling and for "tap signal" as you call it.
The camera is very quick to respond whether going on or off.

In regard to updating your Tazer JL or Tazer JL Lite's firmware... should you ever do a firmware update and say do not like the update for some reason, you can always revert back to other firmware.

All you would do is unmarry the Tazer JL, hook the Tazer JL up to your home computer with the ZAutomotive provided USB cable and with the ZAutomotive utility program on the computer, do a "manual" update with a firmware file you have on your computer.

I suggest you have a folder on your home computer where you store the last and current Tazer JL firmware.

Of course, you could always come here and ask someone to provide you with a particular firmware version or contact ZAutomotive and ask them for a specific firmware version.

As for me, I don't worry about being an early adapter of the Tazer JL firmware. It's very easy to revert back to a previous firmware.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do use CarPlay. TurnCam goes back to whatever screen was on before signaling. I do use “tap signal.”

Maybe once or twice the backup cam didn’t turn off after I was done signaling, but all I had to do was tap the X in the corner and all was well.
@OldGuyNewJeep

When not using Android auto, I have had this happen maybe twice in 500+ miles. The rare hiccup of the screen not going back off automatically, is not lets say, a Car Play or Android Auto related hiccup.

I sure do like the camera on with turns. Will be terrific to have when towing with the JL which I do quite often and for long distances..

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Anyway all this new technology comes at a priceso we either have to embrace it or go back to manual windows and no LED screens in out vehicles
Works for me... Don't need the whiz-bang fluff anyway.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In another thread a forum member asked :

So if I want all of the features should I buy the tazerJL or the taser lite with the upgrade? Any difference between the two?
My reply in that thread, was this:

The Tazer JL and the Tazer JL Lite with the $125 upgrade are going to be exactly the same in regard to features. Again, their will be no difference in the abilities between the two.

With the Tazer JL, you have two pieces of hardware. You have one piece of hardware that plugs into the OBDll port (it must stay plugged in if you want "Live Features" and trust me you will want them!) You have another piece of hardware that you plug two wires into... the two wires (connectors) are wires you disconnected from the JL's security module under the dash.

With the Tazer JL Lite, you only have one single piece of hardware that does the same job as as the two separate pieces of hardware noted above, in regard to the Tazer JL.

Why would you care if there was one or two pieces of hardware.... Well, some people would rather not have anything plugged into the OBDII , in plain sight for a few reasons. Some people think their leg may hit it somehow which would be highly unlikely, but yes possible.

As for me, I have the Tazer JL. I was one of the first here to have a Tazer JL. As most here know, I am a Tazer JL fanboy... 8-)

IF the Tazer JL Lite had been available, I do believe I would have bought the Tazer JL Lite and had it activated with full features from day one.

Were I to buy today, I would probably do the same. I just like the idea of a single, out of sight unit. But do know you can buy a $7.00 OBDll extender cable that will allow you to get the Tazer JL out of sight.

Note: IF you buy the Tazer JL Lite and fully activate it, going this route versus just buying the Tazer JL, will see you paying ZAutomotive, $24+ more. TheTazer JL Lite, fully activated will cost you $344 and the Tazer JL with 5% discount or separate not stackable, 10% Military Discount will cost you $312+. ---You cannot get a discount on the Tazer JL Lite as I believe ZAutomotive already has it priced low.---

DO --- Do consider buying the $20, two year warranty.

DO ---- buy your Tazer JL or Tazer JL Lite, directly from ZAutomotive.
https://zautomotive.com/product-category/tazer/

Tazer JL ($329)
TAZER.jpg

Tazer JL Lite ($219)

(Not pictured, is the USB cable that comes with it that you use to attach to your home computer when say doing firmware updates
tazer-jl-lite.png

yellolab

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 718 Boxster, Hydro Blue 2 door
Occupation
sales
I think there is a glitch, still need to test more.
When CarPlay is on, using maps going to a location, and radio is playing, and screen on maps.

When the nav girl tells me to turn, I hit the blinker(with turncam), all is well. Once turn is over and blinker/turncam shuts off, screen goes back to the map, but radio then has no sound.
Hit the “radio” button on the screen makes the sound come back on, and everything is nomal.

Need to try it with turncam off next...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think there is a glitch, still need to test more.
When CarPlay is on, using maps going to a location, and radio is playing, and screen on maps.

When the nav girl tells me to turn, I hit the blinker(with turncam), all is well. Once turn is over and blinker/turncam shuts off, screen goes back to the map, but radio then has no sound.
Hit the “radio” button on the screen makes the sound come back on, and everything is nomal.

Need to try it with turncam off next...
Well, it is newly added feature so there may very well be a hiccup, here and there. DO try to zero in on it and then report it to @joe@zauto . ZAutomotive will use your input to help get rid of the hiccup if possible.

I have noticed an occasional hiccup, where by the camera does not turn off when turning when I use the 3 second turn stalk press.

ar15rifle

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 2014 Audi A4. 2015 Fiat 500C. 1970 Ford F250
Does anyone know what the 'One Touch' option does on the Tazer? We just got ours today, and I can't find out what that is in the instructions.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ar15rifle

One touch is in regard to you touching/tapping the JL's turn signal stalk once and the blinker will blink the turn signal, 3 times and then turn off. The Tazer JL can turn disable this one touch, 3 blink feature. Of course, it can also enable it in the future, if you desire.

Hey Heath ... You made the right choice going with a Tazer JL !
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.