Sponsored

Tazer JL - more than just a tire size programmer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Going into service tomorrow for the Mopar perch pad. I am on the recall list for the cruise control software update. I'm sure they will want to do this while I'm there.
I have to schedule my JL for the cruise control update.

You probably know this already but .....never ever, let your Wrangler go to the dealership service dept. with it married to a programmer and the programmer hardware attached.

Always, unmarry and remove all programmer hardware... Does not matter if the JL/JLU is going in for perch pad, oil change, tire rotation or anything.

ALWAYS, take programmer out of the picture before your Wrangler goes into dealership service department.
Sponsored

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
I have to schedule my JL for the cruise control update.

You probably know this already but .....never ever, let your Wrangler go to the dealership service dept. with it married to a programmer and the programmer hardware attached.

Always, unmarry and remove all programmer hardware... Does not matter if the JL/JLU is going in for perch pad, oil change, tire rotation or anything.

ALWAYS, take programmer out of the picture before your Wrangler goes into dealership service department.
That's why I was asking about the reboot. I unmarried it this evening.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's why I was asking about the reboot. I unmarried it this evening.
I hear ya.. 8-) My JL goes into dealership service dept. tomorrow morning at 8:15am, for the FCA Recall# U62.

I will be unmarrying today and removing the TazerJL and SWG bypass module today.

Side note: I called the service dept. this AM. Service Manager himself answered. Told him I wanted to bring in my JL for the U62, recall fix which was a computer flash. He proceeded to tell me he was aware of it and that they did not have what they needed to accomplish the fix. I then told him all it was was a mere software flash and no more... and that the other dealerships in the area were doing it now.

Anyway, told me he would call me right back. He did and said ok, bring it in at 8:15am in the morning. Not sure if the SM, just did not know (probably the case) or when I first called, he thought I was some dipshit (well, maybe I am one) that he could just blow off til ..................

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@islandtees

Went in this morning for the U62 recall, PCM flash. Tech had the vehicle for no more then 15 minutes. He drove the JL out of the work bay and came over to me and said geeeeeeeeez, you got one nice Wrangler.. He also said he I did a "PCM Flash" .
No mention of anything in regard to smelling the odor or footprints of a programmer, etc.. Also, no typed info on printed service report indicating anything programmer trail wise noted.

YES, Yesterday, I unmarried the TazerJL and removed the TazerJL and SWG bypass module in anticipation of the dealership service dept. visit.

Just now reinstalled the TazerJL and the SWG bypass module. Remarried the TazerJL to the JL and all my settings were instantly and with no redoing of settings. Whole process took me less then 10 min..

I still feel it is easier to use a plastic pry tool to pop the two top retention clips and then to pull the bottom plastic straight off. The plastic goes back on easily and within seconds.

Note: If anything is a very slight pain in the ass it is getting the 2 cables plugged back into the JL's connector after you remove the SWG bypass module. Good lighting and a body that can contort like a 26 year old (I'm 69) is useful in this process. Again, just a slight pain...

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
36 hours into ownership, I've already had enough of the ESS. I just placed an order for the Tazer.

Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
@joe@zauto here's an idea... would it be possible to trigger different events or modes via the AUX buttons? ex: light shows / winch mode / brakes? Make them settable in the ZPU

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@joe@zauto

From the manual:

Set DRL Location : Choose which lights to use as DRL’s (results vary with vehicle model) – Dedicated DRL, SRT DRL’s, Turns, Fogs, Hi beams or Low beams.

What are "SRT DRL’s?"

I have LED package, and currently have DRL disabled in UConnect which I *think* turns the lights on the fenders off, but keeps the headlights on. Ideally I'd like just halos as DRL. Is that possible?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@OldGuyNewJeep

YES, you can have just the Halos as DRL and that is it. That is how I'm set-up with my JL.

I'll try to walk you through the TazerJL set-up in order to obtain this:

First in Uconnect settings under LIGHTS, uncheck the box that that enables DRL.

Now, in the TazerJL menu this is what I have selected:

DRL Type USA
DRL Loc Dedica
DRL Drop: Yes
Halo En: Yes

I think this should do it.. post back here and let me know.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@OldGuyNewJeep

YES, you can have just the Halos as DRL and that is it. That is how I'm set-up with my JL.

I'll try to walk you through the TazerJL set-up in order to obtain this:

First in Uconnect settings under LIGHTS, uncheck the box that that enables DRL.

Now, in the TazerJL menu this is what I have selected:

DRL Type USA
DRL Loc Dedica
DRL Drop: Yes
Halo En: Yes

I think this should do it.. post back here and let me know.
Thanks! Tazer just shipped, but I should have it tomorrow and will test.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! Tazer just shipped, but I should have it tomorrow and will test.
@OldGuyNewJeep

Ok.... If any questions, post here. Also, be sure you go to ZAutomotive's website and download the User's manual, current firmware (11.0.3) and the computer software. DO read the manual !

Make sure that you check firmware version on that TazerJL and be sure it is using firmware 11.0.3.

When you go to install the TazerJL, do pull the plastic just below the steering column which makes it way way easier when installing the SWG bypass module.

I found it best to use some Velcro to fasten the SWG module up underneath the plastic panels so it is not dangling... or rattling under there.

Warning: You are going to truly enjoy all that the TazerJL does! Well worth the $.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
How do you set it up to allow the swaybar disconnect in 2wd? I swore I had it work, but now it does not? I only see Swaybar disconnect on or off in the menu. I assume that disables the whole thing, so I don't want to do that.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed. Kick plate removal was simple using the tools @Rhinebeck01 recommended. Unplugging the harness was harder. Anyway, neat stuff!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ha. Just discovered that left arrow + res does not exit the menu in live mode, but enables winch mode. Scared the crap out of me!

Gonna have fun playing with this thing. Already happy to have weather alerts and ESS disabled!

bzaps914

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
I'll give it a go when I get a chance, but I know from past vehicles (Ram and Charger) That it didnt work.
Is it possible to program a feature so that the outer ring of the rear LED tailights is always on? Right now it's only on when the headlights are on.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm. Left work and ESS kicked in at the first light. Got on the highway and it was jammed, so I used the time to enter the “live” menu. SS Kill was set to ON.

Q1 - anyone else have a live feature fail like this?

Q2 - how does one exit the live menu?

I ended up toggling SS Kill (off/on), and when I got home I turned off engine, opened and closed door, then waited for the screen to turn off. I’ve taken three trips since then, and it’s back to working.

No biggie, but curious (especially about Q2, as I don’t see it in the instructions).
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.