Sponsored

Tazer JL - more than just a tire size programmer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The Tazer mini should be marketed as the Tazer 2.0. It’s one piece instead of two and it installs under the dash for a clean install. They both do exactly the same thing.
Sponsored

mischman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Thanks
Does anyone have a coupon code for it before I order?

bethaj1s

First Name
Beth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUS
Need help what am I doing wrong? Ever since I installed my Taser JL about a month ago I set my tire size and turned off the Auto Start. We did not change anything else. Now my baby has a mind of its own---the fan on the A/C does not come on when I start it. It like waits a while then kicks on. The clock sometimes changes the time. The Auto Start sometime engages and sometimes does not I have it set to not to engage. Any help would be appreciated. I have been trying to think of a name for my baby and my husband wants to name her Possessed.

Sponsored

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
So, I’ve read every thread I can find and super excited that I just received and installed my Tazer JL Mini. Received on Tuesday, installed on Tuesday. Expected some of the nuances (temp read 106 degrees for a while) as things settled in.

Yesterday, I went out to start the jeep and it started and instantly stalled. (This has never ever happened even one time since I’ve owned my JLUR). So I held the start button down again and it started and stalled. I kept holding the start button down and it started and stalled about 4 times then fired up for good. When I tried to drive away... no power steering. So I shut it down and restarted and everything was back to normal.

Now, I know some here will say this is not Tazer related because I can’t reproduce it etc., but this has NEVER happened until I installed the Tazer. I’m also an IT guy and know that tweaking systems can have unintended consequences, especially when you’re bypassing systems to do it. This is the Tazer that caused this for sure.

I’m very happy with my Tazer and will continue to use it and espouse the virtues. But people do need to understand that using a tool like this and leaving it plugged in my result in some funky, unexplained behavior.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Tazer and a couple days later, it rained on me with the top down. That never happened before I installed the Tazer, either.

All joking aside, of all the posts here and on other forums I've seen about issues with the Tazer, I've never read any issue even remotely like this. You probably experienced vapor lock or something like that. It is rare in modern cars, but can happen and could cause something similar to what you experienced. There's just no way to tell.

I've been running the Tazer for probably around 20k miles. Any quirks I've experienced were not unique and had been reported by others.

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Tazer and a couple days later, it rained on me with the top down. That never happened before I installed the Tazer, either.

All joking aside, of all the posts here and on other forums I've seen about issues with the Tazer, I've never read any issue even remotely like this. You probably experienced vapor lock or something like that. It is rare in modern cars, but can happen and could cause something similar to what you experienced. There's just no way to tell.

I've been running the Tazer for probably around 20k miles. Any quirks I've experienced were not unique and had been reported by others.
@DanW fair enough. I’m honestly not sure what vapor lock is. But does it also explain the power steering?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW fair enough. I’m honestly not sure what vapor lock is. But does it also explain the power steering?
Vapor lock is like an air pocket that can get in the fuel system and can cause a vehicle not to start for a bit. Usually modern vehicles are not susceptible to it, but under perfect conditions it can happen. The power steering is odd. I'm not sure, but I think the PS system is a hybrid with both hydrolic and electric boost, but I'm not as familiar with it.

I can tell you that my JL has had hiccups with the Uconnect system without the Tazer. In fact, it has more issues without it than with it, or at least it seems. Also, my ESS has had a couple times where it wouldn't start the engine as a light turned green. After shutting the Jeep off, it restarted but then the ESS was disabled until I stopped and let it sit for a few minutes completely off. It did that without the Tazer, too but hasn't done it with. I don't think the Tazer cured any of that, but rather it just points to the complexity of the entire operating system. One thing the Tazer does allow me to do is reboot the Uconnect, which usually cures its quirks for a good while.

Do you have the 2.0 with BSG or 3.6? I'd imagine the 2.0 is even more complicated. I am alsu unfamiliar with the power steering system on the 2.0. I'm not sure if it is common with the one on the 3.6, or not. The auto tranny probably adds complexity, too, as it is electronically controlled. (Mine is a manual)

I'm also assuming your Jeep didn't thow any codes when it stalled?

I really didn't mean to make light of your situation. I can be a real clown and sometimes can't resist trying to be funny. Please take it as a reminder not to take me too seriously. I hope your Jeep is well and just had a hiccup.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Vapor lock is like an air pocket that can get in the fuel system and can cause a vehicle not to start for a bit. Usually modern vehicles are not susceptible to it, but under perfect conditions it can happen. The power steering is odd. I'm not sure, but I think the PS system is a hybrid with both hydrolic and electric boost, but I'm not as familiar with it.

I can tell you that my JL has had hiccups with the Uconnect system without the Tazer. In fact, it has more issues without it than with it, or at least it seems. Also, my ESS has had a couple times where it wouldn't start the engine as a light turned green. After shutting the Jeep off, it restarted but then the ESS was disabled until I stopped and let it sit for a few minutes completely off. It did that without the Tazer, too but hasn't done it with. I don't think the Tazer cured any of that, but rather it just points to the complexity of the entire operating system. One thing the Tazer does allow me to do is reboot the Uconnect, which usually cures its quirks for a good while.

Do you have the 2.0 with BSG or 3.6? I'd imagine the 2.0 is even more complicated. I am alsu unfamiliar with the power steering system on the 2.0. I'm not sure if it is common with the one on the 3.6, or not. The auto tranny probably adds complexity, too, as it is electronically controlled. (Mine is a manual)

I really didn't mean to make light of your situation. I can be a real clown and sometimes can't resist trying to be funny. Please take it as a reminder not to take me too seriously. I hope your Jeep is well and just had a hiccup.
Dan, what version of the firmware do you run? I’ve had my Tazer in use for 13 months, now, and agree with 99% of what you’ve written. However, I did get bitten in the ass by trying a beta version last winter. It was an eye opening lesson. A malicious device or a nasty bug in a trusted programmer could really eff up these vehicles, and I came to realize that the “secure gateway module” is not just a way for FCA to make money adjusting speedos. (It’s mostly that, though.)

Anyway, my point is that it’s not crazy to think the Tazer caused his issue. Firmware builds newer than 11.0.6 have a lot more features (which means more opportunities for bugs). The 11.1.4 instructions even warn that a stall condition is possible after changing settings. It says to wait 10 seconds before retrying and that it’ll go away.

I have been on 11.0.6 most of the time because of my bad beta experience, and because 11.1.2 had unreliable ESS disablement. I just upgraded to 11.1.4 on Monday and so far so good. ESS seems as stable as it was back in 11.0.6, and I’ve had no problems whatsoever with any of the other features. The reason I upgraded was to take advantage of the parasitic draw bug fix that was done last winter. I’ll not be upgrading, again, without a compelling reason.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dan, what version of the firmware do you run? I’ve had my Tazer in use for 13 months, now, and agree with 99% of what you’ve written. However, I did get bitten in the ass by trying a beta version last winter. It was an eye opening lesson. A malicious device or a nasty bug in a trusted programmer could really eff up these vehicles, and I came to realize that the “secure gateway module” is not just a way for FCA to make money adjusting speedos. (It’s mostly that, though.)

Anyway, my point is that it’s not crazy to think the Tazer caused his issue. Firmware builds newer than 11.0.6 have a lot more features (which means more opportunities for bugs). The 11.1.4 instructions even warn that a stall condition is possible after changing settings. It says to wait 10 seconds before retrying and that it’ll go away.

I have been on 11.0.6 most of the time because of my bad beta experience, and because 11.1.2 had unreliable ESS disablement. I just upgraded to 11.1.4 on Monday and so far so good. ESS seems as stable as it was back in 11.0.6, and I’ve had no problems whatsoever with any of the other features. The reason I upgraded was to take advantage of the parasitic draw bug fix that was done last winter. I’ll not be upgrading, again, without a compelling reason.
I'll have to check. I think I'm 2 back on the firmware because it was doing everything I wanted. I'm planning on updating either tomorrow or one day this week, though.

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase

@DanW Thank you for explaining vapor lock. I can’t say for certain it wasn’t that.

The point you made so well, is what I was trying to make as well: “the complexity of the entire operating system.” I think they’re so interconnected that being able to say it is or it isn’t something is extremely difficult. So you kinda have to go on experiencing things and seeing what changed that may have caused a downstream impact - not scientific at all.

Interesting addition: I just went out about 10 minutes ago to make sure my headlights were adjusted as explained in this post: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...m-headlights-after-lift-or-replacement.17448/ . I put 35s on and wanted to make sure I wasn’t blinding anyone. Anyway, when I started the Jeep to leave my garage the volume on the Uconnect wasn’t working well for the first time ever (again, never happened before the tazer). Volume 9 was like it was only coming through a tiny speaker and barely audible. Volume 20 was good enough to hear it over idle, but no base at all (I have the Alpine upgrade).

So, as you mention, I did a full reboot. Guess what happened.... start then stall immediately. Thankfully the volume was fixed, but the start/stall concerns me. I shut it down and tried going through the full sequence of turning it off, open/close the door. Start, turn off, open/close the door. And it didn’t happen again. So there’s something going on here and it’s specific to when the Tazer is plugged in.

As I mentioned, I’m bit of an IT guy and I’m ok running beta software and living with a few quirks (I typically run Apple betas on all my devices to see what’s coming and I just live with the quirks). I’m in no way throwing shade on ZAuto, their product is kick ass and I’m going to continue to use it. Just trying to figure out some of these glitches so it can get better.

thanks again for your explanation @DanW

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase

@DanW I never answered your questions:
1) I’m running the 3.6L
2) You’re right, no codes thrown. Well, let me rephrase that - no codes popped up, is there somewhere I should check?

I didn’t take it as you making light of the situation... so no worries there. I appreciate the detail that makes me taken a second look.

In all my readings here about the Tazer there are a few folks who seem to chant “it’s not the Tazer” and that gets frustrating for someone who had no problems, installed the Tazer and then had problems. Now, to be fair, it may not be the Tazer, it may actually be that the Tazer runs wicked clean and it forces bugs of the other systems to come to the surface. That part I don’t think we’ll ever answer.

BUT, being open here and working through issues that crop up will serve us all quite nicely.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Status
Not open for further replies.