LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
@LLRubylady

The discussion here regarding automatic transmission, shift points being off, pertains only, to those with automatic transmissions.

Your speedometer will be off, though. You will need to go to the dealer and get your JL programmed in regard to tire size. Once you do this your speedometer will be correct.

SO, do keep in mind that your speedometer is presently not telling you the correct speed you are traveling.

So in a manual my shifting isnā€™t off?
Iā€™ve only driven one day do hard for me to tell but it seemed like it takes more effort at lower Rpm which I guess makes sense.
Sponsored

OP
OP
IndustrialAction

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve only driven one day do hard for me to tell but it seemed like it takes more effort at lower Rpm which I guess makes sense.
I can't speak for a manual tranny from experience but in that situation, the driver is in-charge of shifting. You might have to relearn when to shift but that's more under your control. The issue we're trying to work out is with an automatic transmission because (unless we're using the autostick or whatever it is called in a Jeep) we don't have much control over when the engine shifts gears. I can see my RPMs running higher than normal and I know the transmission should shift in to the next gear but it doesn't do it the way it should (did before tire change). The Tazer reset the speedometer to be accurate but the shift points aren't right. They're close but not the way I want them. I think this is having both a performance and MPG hit. My original ask was whether or not the Tazer made any adjustments to the computer so that it would shift gears properly given the new tire size.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@LLRubylady

Suffice it to say, you will get used to it.

Unless, you just never get used to it an truly regret moving up to bigger tires. Some do regret moving to bigger tires..

After a couple of months, a road trip or two, your figuring out how much gas you are going through, etc., and you may just regret it.

Sure the 35's look great, but do change the vehicle's character, in many many ways. And some of the ways it changes are negative ways.

Anyway, what you are feeling... seat of the pants feel so to speak, is normal. Get used to it... relearn your shift points (you don't have an automatic tranny that remembers for you)

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@LLRubylady

Suffice it to say, you will get used to it.

Unless, you just never get used to it an truly regret moving up to bigger tires. Some do regret moving to bigger tires..

After a couple of months, a road trip or two, your figuring out how much gas you are going through, etc., and you may just regret it.

Sure the 35's look great, but do change the vehicle's character, in many many ways. And some of the ways it changes are negative ways.

Anyway, what you are feeling... seat of the pants feel so to speak, is normal. Get used to it... relearn your shift points (you don't have an automatic tranny that remembers for you)

Thanks. Iā€™ll live with it a few months and see how it goes. Iā€™ll go back to 33s if need be.
I canā€™t remember what the stock mph was at 2000 rpm. Now itā€™s about 48 mph.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have zero regrets running larger tires and adding my steel bumper and winch, I currently sport BFG 315 KO2ā€™s and a Roam bumper with stubby bull bar and RC winch, did my MPGā€™s dropyou bet they did as I went from 21-22 down to 17-18 doing hand calculations based on miles driven and gals used and I lost about 4 MPG and rarely see 8th on my AT and have no plans on rehearing as I would never recoupe the investment and the gearing is so close itā€™s not determental other than lost mlleage

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have zero regrets running larger tires and adding my steel bumper and winch, I currently sport BFG 315 KO2ā€™s and a Roam bumper with stubby bull bar and RC winch, did my MPGā€™s dropyou bet they did as I went from 21-22 down to 17-18 doing hand calculations based on miles driven and gals used and I lost about 4 MPG and rarely see 8th on my AT and have no plans on rehearing as I would never recoupe the investment and the gearing is so close itā€™s not determental other than lost mlleage
Iā€™m curious to see what I lose with mpg. Too soon to tell only day 2 of the bigger tires. They look awesome. Will snap more pics tomorrow as Iā€™ll have the day off and can do it in the daylight.
My acceleration is ok. I only notice a slight difference. It does bounce more over bumps and the view from the backup camer shows the inside of the rim but it is ok to see behind me.
I wasnā€™t really thinking about the view out the back window. Kinda no view at all now.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m curious to see what I lose with mpg. Too soon to tell only day 2 of the bigger tires. They look awesome. Will snap more pics tomorrow as Iā€™ll have the day off and can do it in the daylight.
My acceleration is ok. I only notice a slight difference. It does bounce more over bumps and the view from the backup camer shows the inside of the rim but it is ok to see behind me.
I wasnā€™t really thinking about the view out the back window. Kinda no view at all now.
You are correct as far as view goes as there is pretty much none with a 35 hanging on the back, the loss of MPGā€™s is not as bad as I thought and I honestly donā€™t even miss 8th gear

Be mindful of tire pressure as over inflating causes more bounce so my suggestion is start at 32 and get a piece of chalk and do one front and the opposite rear, you can do all four but doing just two is fine, you are looking for even wear on the tire, you can do this test in a flat parking lot and it only takes about a 50ft drive forward and back and my guess is at 32 the chalk will be worn in the middle but the edges wonā€™t be touched so you lower a pound and test again but my bet is somewhere between 27-30 is gonna be the sweet spot

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are correct as far as view goes as there is pretty much none with a 35 hanging on the back, the loss of MPGā€™s is not as bad as I thought and I honestly donā€™t even miss 8th gear

Be mindful of tire pressure as over inflating causes more bounce so my suggestion is start at 32 and get a piece of chalk and do one front and the opposite rear, you can do all four but doing just two is fine, you are looking for even wear on the tire, you can do this test in a flat parking lot and it only takes about a 50ft drive forward and back and my guess is at 32 the chalk will be worn in the middle but the edges wonā€™t be touched so you lower a pound and test again but my bet is somewhere between 27-30 is gonna be the sweet spot
Yeah, they are inflated to 37 because the installer said he didn't want to make my sensors go nuts. I will air them down and see how that feels. I guess I'll live with the sensors goin off until i can have it programmed.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, they are inflated to 37 because the installer said he didn't want to make my sensors go nuts. I will air them down and see how that feels. I guess I'll live with the sensors goin off until i can have it programmed.
37 is way to much, I believe thatā€™s the door plaque pressure for stock tires on a Rubicon, you can go down to 32 and be good but if you have a Rubicon below 32 will trip the tpms sensors and you will have to go back up to 38 to clear, the only way to go under the 32 is either remove all the sensors or get a Tazer or Flashcal to reset the limits, also be mindful that running bigger tires your speedo will be off so that will have to be reset but I believe stock Rubicon tires are 33ā€™s so going to a 35 may not have a huge impact on the speedo so DL a speed GPS app like Speedbox and check you speed at 70-50-30 mph

Hansolostang

First Name
Pavel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 4 Door Sport S
I can't speak for a manual tranny from experience but in that situation, the driver is in-charge of shifting. You might have to relearn when to shift but that's more under your control. The issue we're trying to work out is with an automatic transmission because (unless we're using the autostick or whatever it is called in a Jeep) we don't have much control over when the engine shifts gears. I can see my RPMs running higher than normal and I know the transmission should shift in to the next gear but it doesn't do it the way it should (did before tire change). The Tazer reset the speedometer to be accurate but the shift points aren't right. They're close but not the way I want them. I think this is having both a performance and MPG hit. My original ask was whether or not the Tazer made any adjustments to the computer so that it would shift gears properly given the new tire size.
Hey,i ve had same problem since i put 285/70 on my sports s 21 ,so my shifting point was totally lose,car drives like a garbage,no 8 spd,high rpm and pushing sometimes,mpg goodbye and no speed,so i fix it finally,you definitely should change gear ratio,like 4.56 or 4.88 cause thereā€™s no way to fix it without,and yes,Tazer also you need to adjust speed,it hepls but car will be no more like it was with smooth shifting ,just be aware and donā€™t trust website real size,you should play with it using gps and find yours tire size,your feel it when it will be exactly right.I heard a lot of opinions about bigger tires and loft for wrangler,but a lot of mechanical are warning me that all this stuff kill our 8spd tranny for 100% after few years.
Sponsored