lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I hear you.

It is not my place to tell you which direction to take. My role is to educate you.

Only you can decide how much ESS bothers you, and how much it will down the road remembering there are free hacks (links available on request) to insure it doesn't engage--many of those hacks coming with inconveniences like a dash warning light that needs to be ignored.

I am assuming both Jscan and Tazer have DRL light configurations. Let me know if you desire links to each product's feature page.

I, on the one hand don't want you to have to buy both products eventually, and on the other hand wish to save you money now, knowing that the JL is a "lonely mistress" who likes money showered on her with other features you may want to spend your money on.

Or...(boo) there's always the kids 529B college fund.;)
Lmao currently I’m a junior in college, so my fund is the “whatever is cheaper as long as it’s not RC.” Just kidding, mostly. I am looking to do the more manageable stuff while in school and it’s hard to get on a lift. I think I’ll pickup the Jscan. I am just really trying to flash for LEDs at the moment and the Jscan can do a lot of things I want it to do.
Sponsored

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
To address your side question, if you bought LED’s without the wire harness you are going to have to do some wire fabrication as the harness is not available separately. You may be able to reconfigure your current harness but you will be missing some wires.
Gregj
is there a write up on it anywhere. I can’t seem to find anything

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
The parts list needed has been posted in the lighting section. I don’t have it bookmarked so I will have to look
Gregj

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
The parts list needed has been posted in the lighting section. I don’t have it bookmarked so I will have to look
Gregj
Okay I’ll try to find it too, there’s so much info

Sponsored

alexccs

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
To reiterate Robert @redracer, but take a different approach, start with the features each offers and overall price. Then go from there.

The only other color commentary I can offer that might be of help is to better detail a so called "live feature."

Say you want your backup camera on continually. Out of the factory the app button to enable the camera will keep it on for about 8 seconds before you have to press the button again to activate it.

The Tazer allows the camera to stay on by performing the programming equivalent of pressing that button, say, every 7 seconds.

And its stuff life that where the Tazer excels and the Jscan app will likely not be able to compete.

That said I own the Jscan app and love how it promised to activate proximity locks, along with the installation of the hardware, and did. I don't think the Tazer has that capability (yet).

Jscan settings require resetting if your JL is flashed by the dealer. I think it's like unmarrying a Tazer before taking your rig in for service, but the Tazer remembers your settings for the next time you plug in it (correct?)
All, I have a couple of questions….
1. Just wondering….. Do we have to remove the Tazer JL Mini from the Jeep when taking it to the dealership?
2. If using JSCAN, do we ha e to reset the JL back to its original settings???

Will any of these tools void the warranty?
Thanks!!!!!!

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
A couple answers

1. yes you should remove the Tazer for service.
2.no you don’t have to reset your changes made with JScan.
3. Depends on your dealer, there is much debate on this.
I had the second clutch recall/flash done on mine and the changes made via JScan did not get messed up and there was no mention of them. They didn’t even care that I have swapped the Instrument Cluster and HVAC Control.
Gregj

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The Tazer and JSCAN app both work well but both have shortcomings IMHO and I have used both.

The Tazer is the smoothest and pain free way but should be unmarried before service especially if it’s software update plus leaving it plugged in will flag a error when they plug in to the OBDII port due to the SGW being bypassed.

The JSCAN app does a lot of what the Tazer does but not as smoothly like disabling ESS but there’s nothing to do before a service visit as you have nothing to unmarry so any changes you make with it are overwritten if they flash your system and then you just have to go back in and make your changes again.

The cost between the two is quite large so you as the owner have to decide which one offers you the features you need.

I was lucky enough to get a Smart stop/start module long ago when first released as a tester so that part of taking care of ESS works great and still does.

When going to JSCAN many months ago I had to deal with that nasty cable but recently went to a bypass module so now it’s painless.

It really comes down to what you want to change but reversing the Tazer changes is as simple as just unmarry it, JSCAN on the other hand you have to reverse changes one by one under trace & restore as it lists them separately.

alexccs

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
A couple answers

1. yes you should remove the Tazer for service.
2.no you don’t have to reset you changes made with JScan.
3. Depends on your dealer, there is much debate on this.
I had the second clutch recall/flash done on mine and the changes made via JScan did not get messed up and there was no mention of them. They didn’t even care that I have swapped the Instrument Cluster and HVAC Control.
Gregj
Thanks man

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Gregj I had a few TSB’s applied a few months back and they also did a Uconnect update and when it was all done none of my JSCAN settings remained so I’m guessing it depends on what package or update they do ?

Was no hard to fix as I just looked at the trace and restore log to see what was needed to put back and they never mentioned it.

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have both and use each for different purposes. The tazer is great for its live functions (ess, sway, locker, etc...) but I like Jscan for changing ecu settings (tire size, enabling features, etc...). I also use other apps on my android radio like dashcommand which use the same Bluetooth obdii module.

Jscan is way easier to use, and can change more settings. But the tazer can still do most everything. If you want the live features, buy the tazer... otherwise, I’d suggest to get Jscan and a supported Bluetooth module.

No issues with using them both? I have the tazer JL mini LITE as a programmer but bought the JScan for some diagnostics I needed to do. I bought new fender flares and need to fix the “hyper flash “ I’m wondering if I can use the JScan to do that but still keep the programming my tazer made.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
No issues with using them both? I have the tazer JL mini LITE as a programmer but bought the JScan for some diagnostics I needed to do. I bought new fender flares and need to fix the “hyper flash “ I’m wondering if I can use the JScan to do that but still keep the programming my tazer made.
@OBJLU

There is no problem using both JSCAN and the Tazer JL Lite.

You can actually use the Tazer JL Lite for it's Security Gateway bypass ability when you use JSCAN and your Bluetooth Scanner Tool.

Another words, leave the Lite hooked up at the security gateway and then plug the Bluetooth Scanner Tool you will use with JSCAN into the OBDll port and then use your JSCAN app. Again, Tazer Lite will do the security bypass deed for you..

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@OBJLU

Also, you can use the Tazer JL Lite for it's Security Gateway bypass ability...

Another words, leave the Lite hooked up at the security gateway and then plug the Bluetooth Scanner Tool you will use with JSCAN into the OBDll port and then use your JSCAN app. Again, Tazer Lite will do the security bypass deed for you..

Ha awesome thanks for the quick reply!

SaltyWet

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
@OBJLU

You can actually use the Tazer JL Lite for it's Security Gateway bypass ability when you use JSCAN and your Bluetooth Scanner Tool.

Do you need to unmarry the tazer? I am planning to use jscan to diagnose some codes, since its not engine related the tazer can not read it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Do you need to unmarry the tazer? I am planning to use jscan to diagnose some codes, since its not engine related the tazer can not read it.
@SaltyWet

No, no need to unmarry the TazerJL or remove the Tazer JL itself when doing what you say you want to do. (IF, you feel more comfortable doing the unmarry there is no problem doing that)

Leave the Tazer JL installed and use it as the necessary SGW bypass module you need when using your ODDll Bluetooth Scanner and JSCAN.
Sponsored