Tazer JL mini and the 4Xe

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe >-- Bluebird Wanderlodge PT-38
I purchased a new Tazer JL Mini for my 4xe. The non-live functions seem to work ok. But there doesn't seem to be a way to get into the live menus. Supposedly the live menus are available via OK and CANC buttons when the engine is running and the Tazer JL Mini remains plugged in. However, I've tried this (assuming that "the engine is running" means that I've held the brake pedal while pushing the start/stop switch and then waiting until READY appears on the EVIC). The menus remain the non-live ones. So perhaps Tazer needs a better way to detect the "engine running" on the 4xe.

I even tried this while forcing the ICE to run, and no difference -- the live menus do not come up.

Hoping for an update soon. Am currently running "TZ JL:11.2.5" on S/N 80E4

Features I would like to see:
- Latching max regen on
- Latching any of the EV modes on (HYBRID/ELECTRIC.E-SAVE)
- Latching for radio mute button (ie: if muted upon shutdown, keep muted on startup)
Sponsored

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Supposedly the live menus are available via OK and CANC buttons when the engine is running and the Tazer JL Mini remains plugged in.
Live functions are accessed the same way non-live functions are:

Press and hold the steering wheel LEFT ARROW, and tap the Cruise “CANCEL” button to enter the
settings menu.

Pressing LEFT ARROW and CANCEL will advance through the menu items.

To change/select a setting, press and hold LEFT ARROW and tap the Cruise “ON/OFF” (center)
button.

Note: The 4XE requires three presses of the ignition button: twice to enter “Run,” then one more with the brakes pressed to power on the vehicle.

Tazer JL Mini firmware 11.2.7 was just released and adds functionality for the 4xe.

https://www.zautomotive.com/tazer-jl-updates/

https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerJLMiniUserGuide1127.pdf

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Live functions are accessed the same way non-live functions are:

Press and hold the steering wheel LEFT ARROW, and tap the Cruise “CANCEL” button to enter the
settings menu.

Pressing LEFT ARROW and CANCEL will advance through the menu items.

To change/select a setting, press and hold LEFT ARROW and tap the Cruise “ON/OFF” (center)
button.

Note: The 4XE requires three presses of the ignition button: twice to enter “Run,” then one more with the brakes pressed to power on the vehicle.

Tazer JL Mini firmware 11.2.7 was just released and adds functionality for the 4xe.

https://www.zautomotive.com/tazer-jl-updates/

https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerJLMiniUserGuide1127.pdf
I will try the triple press tomorrow, thanks for the hint. I'm not sure why I wrote "OK and CANCEL", I was indeed pressing the buttons you mentioned. But I hadn't done the triple press of the start button (with 3rd press done while holding brake). Will try that.

dan1000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I updated my dongle to 11.2.7, and tried the triple press. That seems to have done the trick -- the live menus now appear. Thanks again for the hint, jludave.

I will try the triple press tomorrow...

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Any word on a camp mode that will keep the AC or heat running?

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Any word on a camp mode that will keep the AC or heat running?
Brandon Haneline did a video that may be of interest. He found that by disconnecting the driver's door harness, the shutdown timer could be defeated. He did it to run his house off of an aftermarket inverter.

I'm not sure why the door harness defeats the timer.

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
thanks. I saw that but seems like a pain to have to unhook it if used a lot. I read that using a rubber band on the shifter release might work as well. I’m sure someone will come up with a solution.
Brandon Haneline did a video that may be of interest. He found that by disconnecting the driver's door harness, the shutdown timer could be defeated. He did it to run his house off of an aftermarket inverter.

I'm not sure why the door harness defeats the timer.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Is anyone with a 4xe running Tazer JL Mini firmware 11.2.8 (latest)? If so, if you do a "full reboot" does it trigger a CEL?

jeep_gurl

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe
Is anyone with a 4xe running Tazer JL Mini firmware 11.2.8 (latest)? If so, if you do a "full reboot" does it trigger a CEL?
I'm curious about this too! I updated to 11.2.7 and after full reboot I have a CEL and even when I clear CEL's it doesn't go away...

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I'm curious about this too! I updated to 11.2.7 and after full reboot I have a CEL and even when I clear CEL's it doesn't go away...
Which DTC codes are thrown?

ZAuto support has had me do a plethora of reboot scenarios, re-marry, remove altogether, re-add, battery and fuse pulls, etc.

One thing remains consistent - any time I do a FULL REBOOT with the Tazer, the same 5 codes are thrown.

The latest message from ZAuto basically said to just clear the codes after each full reboot. 😬

That’s one thing if it’s a bug in 11.2.8, it’s another thing if it’s not a bug and there are actual legit codes being thrown that they’re asking me to clear and ignore.

What’s odd is that I cannot get the codes to pop up without the Tazer doing a full reboot. If I fully remove and run stock, I have not been able to get the codes to come up (including with fuse pulls and battery disconnects, miles of driving, etc.).

ZAuto did not reply to my last message asking if it is “expected” for 11.2.8 to throw CELs on the 4xe (and can be safely ignored until the fix in a future firmware) or if this is an actual issue.

Frankly, for now, I’m thinking Tazer may not really be ready for the 4xe.😞

EDIT: @jeep_gurl have you tried 11.2.8 yet?

Last edited:

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
ZAuto confirmed today that there is an issue with Tazer JL up to and including at least firmware version 11.2.8, specific to the 4xe.

Tazer will cause 5 CEL codes to be thrown on 4xes after a full Tazer reboot.

Their recommendation is to clear these CELs, while they work on a permanent fix - they mentioned coding in an automatic CEL clear after their reboot :/

I’m not crazy about the issue OR the fix (clearing CELs is a band-aid; stopping the CELs from being triggered would be a real fix).

Wanted to share the info in case others have been chasing this as I have.

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
I think my answer was a little misunderstood. It’s not an issue. It’s a function of how the 4XE works, and this is specific ONLY to the 4XE. In order for the ABS system to accept any changes it needs to be re-initialized (which happens during the full reboot on 4XE) and that sets several codes. Same as if the dealer used their tool to initialize. Then you clear codes. Same as the dealer would.
My thought is to combine the code clearing into the full reboot process so it’s transparent to the end user. I’ll likely do this in a future release. Again, these codes aren’t a failure of the Tazer or any other system, it’s a normal part of the ABS initialization process on the 4XE.

jeep_gurl

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe
Which DTC codes are thrown?

ZAuto support has had me do a plethora of reboot scenarios, re-marry, remove altogether, re-add, battery and fuse pulls, etc.

One thing remains consistent - any time I do a FULL REBOOT with the Tazer, the same 5 codes are thrown.

The latest message from ZAuto basically said to just clear the codes after each full reboot. 😬

That’s one thing if it’s a bug in 11.2.8, it’s another thing if it’s not a bug and there are actual legit codes being thrown that they’re asking me to clear and ignore.

What’s odd is that I cannot get the codes to pop up without the Tazer doing a full reboot. If I fully remove and run stock, I have not been able to get the codes to come up (including with fuse pulls and battery disconnects, miles of driving, etc.).

ZAuto did not reply to my last message asking if it is “expected” for 11.2.8 to throw CELs on the 4xe (and can be safely ignored until the fix in a future firmware) or if this is an actual issue.

Frankly, for now, I’m thinking Tazer may not really be ready for the 4xe.😞

EDIT: @jeep_gurl have you tried 11.2.8 yet?

I recently went into electirc only mode and that completely got rid of the CEL even when it went back into hybrid mode and used engine power.... weird but also not complaining because now it's not an issue anymore 😅

Immo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I did start another thread. But figured I'd ask here too

None of the Live Features are working with the Tazer Mini and my 2023 4xe. Has anyone else successfully used a Tazer Mini on a 2023 4xe? And the key phrase here is

"successfully used a Tazer Mini on a 2023 4xe?"