Sponsored

Tazer JL Lite - $219 - Terrific New Product Offering!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I just upgraded my wheels and tires for 33” on 17” wheels on JLU Sport S and I am curious about that I need to program to put 33” tires on computer?

If I do, then I want to use Tazer JL product.

Do we need to disconnect even we going for regular maintain services as well? Like oil changes? Sorry This is my first Jeep and I am new to modifying.
Yes I would remove all traces of any programmer before going in for any type of dealer service, it honestly only takes mins as @Rhinebeck01 has pointed out.

As far as tire sizing goes this is what I did when going to 315’s from my stock Sahara tires.

1. Measure the height of tire while sitting on a flat surface ( mine came out right at 34” )

2. Turn vehicle to run position but don’t start engine

3. Go into the Perf setting and from there select the tire size using the up/down arrows and then select ok to accept it.

4. DL a GPS speed app to your phone and then compare the two speeds and adjust the tire size with the Tazer accordingly.

My speed was off by 5 MPH with the tire size set at 34” so I just kept bumping up my setting one selection at a time ( testing after each one ) and ended up at 34.49” I believe and it’s spot on perfect from 70 MPH and down
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@RamenLife

Only thing I can add to what @WranglerMan has already said, is that you should not feel asking questions here, is something to be"sorry" for.

The only way you are going to learn .... to get up to speed on this stuff, is to ask questions.

RamenLife

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU S
Yes I would remove all traces of any programmer before going in for any type of dealer service, it honestly only takes mins as @Rhinebeck01 has pointed out.

As far as tire sizing goes this is what I did when going to 315’s from my stock Sahara tires.

1. Measure the height of tire while sitting on a flat surface ( mine came out right at 34” )

2. Turn vehicle to run position but don’t start engine

3. Go into the Perf setting and from there select the tire size using the up/down arrows and then select ok to accept it.

4. DL a GPS speed app to your phone and then compare the two speeds and adjust the tire size with the Tazer accordingly.

My speed was off by 5 MPH with the tire size set at 34” so I just kept bumping up my setting one selection at a time ( testing after each one ) and ended up at 34.49” I believe and it’s spot on perfect from 70 MPH and down
Thank you

RedJlu

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 firecracker red Sahara (sold); 2021 Sting Gray Rubicon (ordered)
I have 315/70/17 ko2 and im on the fence about getting the tazer lite. Im currently 3 to 5 mph off in the spedometer compared with real time. Besides the spedometer correction, is there any other benefit of recalibrating the system with the tire size?

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RedJlu

Elvis, don't be $ foolish. Either pay the dealer and have them program for the tires of do buy a Tazer JL Lite (I suggest this) and program the tires yourself.

With the JL programmed for the tires you have:
The speedo displaying correctly may keep you from getting a pricey speeding ticket.
The JL can properly adjust your shift points (assuming you have an automatic)
Your odometer will be recording actual mileage driven.
Your evic display will be displaying your actual gas mileage and will give you correct predictions in regard to miles before empty, etc.

....and more..........................

Also, a plus with the TazerJL Lite is you can disable ESS and Auto Park and more.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For you guys thinking programmer for your JL... Here is a Quick View image that lists feature offerings in regard to the TazerJL and Tazer JL Lite.

Pricing:
$329 Tazer JL
$219 Tazer JL Lite (can be easily enabled to full Tazer JL features in the future if you desire.
Cost to enable a TazerJL Lite to full Tazer JL feaure set is $125.

To order: https://zautomotive.com/product-category/tazer/

Features-list-jl-lite-510x893.jpg

No, I do not work for ZAutomotive.
YES, I am a TazerJL and Tazer JL Lite fanboy. I have run the Tazer JL and am now running with a Tazer JL Lite. Geeeez, the Tazer offerings have made my 2dr. JL more of a pleasure to own/use/drive.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
For you guys thinking programmer for your JL... Here is a Quick View image that lists feature offerings in regard to the TazerJL and Tazer JL Lite.

Pricing:
$329 Tazer JL
$219 Tazer JL Lite (can be easily enabled to full Tazer JL features in the future if you desire.
Cost to enable a TazerJL Lite to full Tazer JL feaure set is $125.

To order: https://zautomotive.com/product-category/tazer/

Features-list-jl-lite-510x893.jpg

No, I do not work for ZAutomotive.
YES, I am a TazerJL and Tazer JL Lite fanboy. I have run the Tazer JL and am now running with a Tazer JL Lite. Geeeez, the Tazer offerings have made my 2dr. JL more of a pleasure to own/use/drive.

Did you switch to the lite model to free your obd port? Did you upgrade it to the full version?

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@OldGuyNewJeep

Actually, I switched more for the heck of it I guess you would say.

Yes, I went with a Tazer JL Lite and ordered it fully enabled..

I had a guy that was willing to take my Tazer JL off my hands (I lost no $) and I figured what the hey.....

Actually, I had no cares in regard to the TazerJL being plugged into the OBDll port using an OBDll extension cable. I did not see the TazerJL installed/residing there, thanks to the OBDll, extension cable.

For sure though, IF I were a guy/gal.... reading this thread... wanting a programmer, I would go with the Tazer JL Lite and have it enabled so it had full Tazer JL features. For the $15.00 over the price of a TazerJL you can get a Tazer JL Lite, fully enabled and free up the OBDll port .... BUT, reality is, either Tazer offering is a terrific way to go, programmer wise.

Note: If, I did not want the full feature set, I would go with a base, Tazer JL Lite. Lots of bang for the buck at $219.00. I could always enable it in the future if I had the urge/inkling to do so.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
@OldGuyNewJeep

Actually, I switched more for the heck of it I guess you would say.

Yes, I went with a Tazer JL Lite and ordered it fully enabled..

I had a guy that was willing to take my Tazer JL off my hands (I lost no $) and I figured what the hey.....

Actually, I had no cares in regard to the TazerJL being plugged into the OBDll port using an OBDll extension cable. I did not see the TazerJL installed/residing there, thanks to the OBDll, extension cable.

For sure though, IF I were a guy/gal.... reading this thread... wanting a programmer, I would go with the Tazer JL Lite and have it enabled so it had full Tazer JL features. For the $15.00 over the price of a TazerJL you can get a Tazer JL Lite, fully enabled and free up the OBDll port .... BUT, reality is, either Tazer offering is a terrific way to go, programmer wise.

Note: If, I did not want the full feature set, I would go with a base, Tazer JL Lite. Lots of bang for the buck at $219.00. I could always enable it in the future if I had the urge/inkling to do so.

You have been very helpful.... thanks and ZAutomotive should send you the T Shirt... I think I know the answer but let me check with you. Where what I want to do:
Light Show as EMS....
Disable AutoPark
Disable Seatbelt noise... **
Disable Start/Stop ESS
Tire size...

So from the above I can do with a JL Lite... but the ** seatbelt will need to upgrade Lite with fully enable and keep my OBDII port open. Awaiting your replay before closing out my cart to buy.

Thanks,

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@MacJack

Yes, Tazer JL Lite will enable the Light Show feature and yes, Light Show while the JL is moving is a go.. BUT, BUT, you are subject to the laws regarding use of such lighting. This feature is a feature that can get you into trouble lets say unless you are law enforcement or have some other legal reason to use such lighting, while the JL is moving.

Disable auto park.......... Some Tazer JL and Tazer JL Lite have reported Disable auto park does not work for them. I am one of these who have reported this to Joe at ZAutomotive. Joe, is trying to figure out a fix..

Disable seat belt ding can only be accomplished with a Tazer JL or a Tazer JL Lite that has been fully enabled.

--Do know that many JL owner's have reported they can disable the seatbelt ding without the help of the Tazer JL. Do search the forum for this info... Another words, there is a good chance you can disable the seat belt ding without the Tazer JL or a fully enabled Tazer JL Lite.

YES, disable ESS work great. The Tazer JL and the Tazer JL Lite both can do and they do it well.

Yes, tire size programming for both.

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
@MacJack

Yes, Tazer JL Lite will enable the Light Show feature and yes, Light Show while the JL is moving is a go.. BUT, BUT, you are subject to the laws regarding use of such lighting. This feature is a feature that can get you into trouble lets say unless you are law enforcement or have some other legal reason to use such lighting, while the JL is moving.

Disable auto park.......... Some Tazer JL and Tazer JL Lite have reported Disable auto park does not work for them. I am one of these who have reported this to Joe at ZAutomotive. Joe, is trying to figure out a fix..

Disable seat belt ding can only be accomplished with a Tazer JL or a Tazer JL Lite that has been fully enabled.

--Do know that many JL owner's have reported they can disable the seatbelt ding without the help of the Tazer JL. Do search the forum for this info... Another words, there is a good chance you can disable the seat belt ding without the Tazer JL or a fully enabled Tazer JL Lite.

YES, disable ESS work great. The Tazer JL and the Tazer JL Lite both can do and they do it well.

Yes, tire size programming for both.
Thanks again, more answers then I thought of. So if I disable my shopping list will any of the idiot lights come on on the dash like the stat stop servicing light?

I seat belt ding disabling.... So just need the JL lite.

Thanks again, loving this forum...

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@MacJack
No, no warning lights on the dash in regard to your "shopping list".

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
@MacJack
No, no warning lights on the dash in regard to your "shopping list".
Been digesting everything which leads to more questions. I like the freeing up the OBDII port, so can I use my OBDII device I've had for years? Like the seat belt ding being off, will the Tazer turn off all of the other chimes...

Walk me through this.... So if take Jeep into dealer for some service should unplug Tazer JL lite. This will put things back to normal in the dealers eyes.... Now have the Jeep back plug in the Tazer JL Lite, does it remember the changes I made or do I have to reprogram everything again.

You been so helpful, thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@MacJack

The only "chime" that the Tazer JL or fully enabled Tazer JL Lite will disable is the seat belt chime. You can also disable the alarm button on the Jl's fob with the Tazer JL or fully enabled Tazer JL Lite.

Now, I gather you have an OBDll code reader that you have "had for many years". I doubt that presently works for you (?) IF it presently works for you, (I doubt this) it will continue to work. If it does not work now (probably does not) it may very well work for you if you have a Tazer JL or Tazer JL Lite installed. It may work because the bypass module that is part of the Tazer may get your OBDll reader through the gateway blockage.... Again, hopefully your OBDll will work .... others have reported their OBDll reader's would work thanks to the bypass module.

Before you go to the dealer for service, you unmarry the Tazer JL or Tazer JL Lite and then remove all Tazer related hardware.

After your dealership apartment, you attach all Tazer hardware and then you do a remarry. This takes say 3-6 minutes. When you remarry your settings that were in play when you unmarried will go back to the JL. All you need to do is the marry. Occasionally, a setting may not go back but it is easy to just redo the setting. When you do your tire programming, your Tazer settings, always keep a paper note what your setting was and what was disabled or enabled. Not mandatory to do this, but it can save you some thinking in the future.. 8-)

DO, keep in mind that you are not going to tell anyone (sales, parts, service, any staff) that you use a programmer in regard to your JL. IF you are ever asked if you have just say no................. daaaah, what is a programmer.... daaaah. Even if they say they think you are using a programmer, just deny it... ALWAYS, unmarry and remove your Tazer components before you go in to the service department. Even if for a tire rotation or oil change, etc..
---------

What the tech sees if he takes the time to dig deep lets say, to see if you are using a programmer:

In a past post, I mentioned.. Will repost it here:

" I'll tell you all that I know in regard to this. Keep in mind that I am going by what I have been told in multiple conversations with dealership techs, by internet search info, etc. My wording may be flawed but the info below will give you the gist of things lets say.. 8-)

Definition of BCM:
The automotive central body control module (BCM) is a processor-based power distribution center that supervises and controls functions related to the car body such as lights, windows, security, door locks and access control, and various comfort controls.
----------------

The TazerJL, Tazer JL Lite and Flashcal all write to the BCM. Each programmer, does it the same way that the dealership's Chrysler Witech POD Micropod II Tool does.

The BCM uses flash counter's ....There are individual flash counter's for each of the features, etc. that the programmer can say disable, enable, change..

In regard to these counter's... Lets just say, the JL leaving the factory is showing 1 for each counter in regard to the dozen or so configurations.

So, the JL is shipped to the dealership and is sold.

The dealer sells the JL.

Now, the new JL owner installs larger size tires and goes to the dealership service department wanting the speedometer corrected. Dealer takes the JL owner's $100+, and using the Witech tool, programs for the larger tire size and the speedometer is now accurate.

As a result of this tire size programming, the counter that keeps track of the tire circumference value, changes from 1 to 2.

--- So, as you see counter's come into use.

Tidbits:

Apparently, there is no lets call it.... tag, ear mark or identifiable signature, etc., of what was written exactly, and by whom.

All the dealership tech can see with his Witech tool is that the BCM was updated x amount of times... counter(s) changed..

Again, to repeat, from what I have been told by a dealership tech, the dealership's Witech tool, does not show a history or what programmer or what specific dealer, etc. did programming on the JL. All that is available in regard to history, is a flash counter for each configuration.

Also, if your dealer does lets say, a flash update on your JL per recommendation of FCA (say for all 2018 JL's) the counter's change.

With the preceding info in mind, the likeliness of the service department tech, taking the time and effort to dig deep, to ascertain if a counter was changed, what setting it was, and then to look up the vehicle history to see if it was dealer-authorized, is well very time consuming and not something the tech would routinely do. Sure, he could do it, but.. it is not is very likely he will."

--
Disclaimer: I do not work for ZAutomotive. Just a Tazer JL fanboy and no more..

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
@MacJack

The only "chime" that the Tazer JL or fully enabled Tazer JL Lite will disable is the seat belt chime. You can also disable the alarm button on the Jl's fob with the Tazer JL or fully enabled Tazer JL Lite.

Now, I gather you have an OBDll code reader that you have "had for many years". I doubt that presently works for you (?) IF it presently works for you, (I doubt this) it will continue to work. If it does not work now (probably does not) it may very well work for you if you have a Tazer JL or Tazer JL Lite installed. It may work because the bypass module that is part of the Tazer may get your OBDll reader through the gateway blockage.... Again, hopefully your OBDll will work .... others have reported their OBDll reader's would work thanks to the bypass module.

Before you go to the dealer for service, you unmarry the Tazer JL or Tazer JL Lite and then remove all Tazer related hardware.

After your dealership apartment, you attach all Tazer hardware and then you do a remarry. This takes say 3-6 minutes. When you remarry your settings that were in play when you unmarried will go back to the JL. All you need to do is the marry. Occasionally, a setting may not go back but it is easy to just redo the setting. When you do your tire programming, your Tazer settings, always keep a paper note what your setting was and what was disabled or enabled. Not mandatory to do this, but it can save you some thinking in the future.. 8-)

DO, keep in mind that you are not going to tell anyone (sales, parts, service, any staff) that you use a programmer in regard to your JL. IF you are ever asked if you have just say no................. daaaah, what is a programmer.... daaaah. Even if they say they think you are using a programmer, just deny it... ALWAYS, unmarry and remove your Tazer components before you go in to the service department. Even if for a tire rotation or oil change, etc..
---------

What the tech sees if he takes the time to dig deep lets say, to see if you are using a programmer:

" I'll tell you all that I know in regard to this. Keep in mind that I am going by what I have been told in multiple conversations with dealership techs, by internet search info, etc. My wording may be flawed but the info below will give you the gist of things lets say.. 8-)

Definition of BCM:
The automotive central body control module (BCM) is a processor-based power distribution center that supervises and controls functions related to the car body such as lights, windows, security, door locks and access control, and various comfort controls.
----------------

The TazerJL, Tazer JL Lite and Flashcal all write to the BCM. Each programmer, does it the same way that the dealership's Chrysler Witech POD Micropod II Tool does.

The BCM uses flash counter's ....There are individual flash counter's for each of the features, etc. that the programmer can say disable, enable, change..

In regard to these counter's... Lets just say, the JL leaving the factory is showing 1 for each counter in regard to the dozen or so configurations.

The dealer sells the JL.

Now, the new JL owner installs larger size tires and goes to the dealership service department wanting the speedometer corrected. Dealer takes the JL owner's $100+, and using the Witech tool, programs for the larger tire size and the speedometer is now accurate.

As a result of this tire size programming, the counter that keeps track of the tire circumference value, changes from 1 to 2.

Tidbits:

Apparently, there is no lets call it.... tag, ear mark or identifiable signature, etc., of what was written exactly, and by whom.

All the dealership tech can see with his Witech tool is that the BCM was updated x amount of times... counter(s) changed..

Again, to repeat, from what I have been told by a dealership tech, the dealership's Witech tool, does not show a history or what programmer or what specific dealer, etc. did programming on the JL. All that is available in regard to history, is a flash counter for each configuration.

Also, if your dealer does lets say, a flash update on your JL per recommendation of FCA (say for all 2018 JL's) the counter's change.

With the preceding info in mind, the likeliness of the service department tech, taking the time and effort to dig deep, to ascertain if a counter was changed, what setting it was, and then to look up the vehicle history to see if it was dealer-authorized, is well very time consuming and not something the tech would routinely do. Sure, he could do it, but.. it is not is very likely he will."

--

Good to know.... thanks.... Now Joe at ZAutomotive rest the counter.... As I said in earlier other post, I ordered JL Lite with 2 years. warranty.
@MacJack

---------

Definition of BCM:
----------------

The dealer sells the JL.

Tidbits:

--
I have a Foseal Pro OBDll and works well and does updates to codes via my iPhone... Today is the second time I got an error code Closed loop using O2 sensor for fuel and P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit. Guess will take in before my Tazer comes in.

Now ask Joe if they can reset counter to last reading....

Your info has been so helpful to me and I sure others....
Sponsored