Sponsored

TAZER JL Essential Tools for Geezers with Grubby & Arthritic hands like me.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I've broken a few taking off the panel. Where do I buy them? I don't want to buy a whole new panel.
A tech at the dealership gave me a few that he had in his tool box. I already gave them away unfortunately, or I would send you a few.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
No wasn't looking for a handout. just where to buy a bag.
Friggg, no handout... I was going to charge you $2.50 each for them plus postage. :LOL:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well, crap, I've lost a couple of those, too. Somebody has to sell those, if the stealership doesn't, right?

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I have a 2019, trying to get the two sgw plugs unplugged so I can plug them in to tazer mini. How in the heck does anyone get those out? I removed the plastic panel, I used a long screw driver to push the forward facing lock pin towards the rear of the vehicle and I can feel it moves; I hold the screw driver in place with my left hand and with right hand I try to pry out the plug with a small screw driver, tried tugging on the cable of wires, and I tried the ideas on this link https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-programmer-for-the-jl.5405/page-56
they talk about pulling on it but what is there to pull on, you cant pull on the wires and there isn't much plastic to grab! If I get them out I am going to put pull tabs on them to make it easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
William Hays

William Hays

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 1985 CJ7
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2019, trying to get the two sgw plugs unplugged so I can plug them in to tazer mini. How in the heck does anyone get those out? I removed the plastic panel, I used a long screw driver to push the forward facing lock pin towards the rear of the vehicle and I can feel it moves; I hold the screw driver in place with my left hand and with right hand I try to pry out the plug with a small screw driver, tried tugging on the cable of wires, and I tried the ideas on this link https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-programmer-for-the-jl.5405/page-56
they talk about pulling on it but what is there to pull on, you cant pull on the wires and there isn't much plastic to grab! If I get them out I am going to put pull tabs on them to make it easier.
Sad to hear you are having so much trouble. Mine is a 2019 JLR. Done this several times and here is what works very well for me.

After removing the kick panel, I squeeze my 230# body in and lay on my right shoulder.

I place a small light to shine on the plugs.

Using my right hand, I place the long 1/4" flat screwdriver, using the metal bar just below the plugs as a pivot, to "FULLY" depress the locking tabs "all the way" to the connector body. My screwdriver has a 9" shank, but I think a 6" shank may work. I can't say "fully depress" the tabs enough.

I grab the wire bundle with the left hand and with very little pressure, I pull "straight down" with a little rocking motion.

I would not recommend removing the locking tabs.

Hope this helps.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Sad to hear you are having so much trouble. Mine is a 2019 JLR. Done this several times and here is what works very well for me.

After removing the kick panel, I squeeze my 230# body in and lay on my right shoulder.

I place a small light to shine on the plugs.

Using my right hand, I place the long 1/4" flat screwdriver, using the metal bar just below the plugs as a pivot, to "FULLY" depress the locking tabs "all the way" to the connector body. My screwdriver has a 9" shank, but I think a 6" shank may work. I can't say "fully depress" the tabs enough.

I grab the wire bundle with the left hand and with very little pressure, I pull "straight down" with a little rocking motion.

I would not recommend removing the locking tabs.

Hope this helps.
thank you, yes I did it the same way, pushing the locking tab flat against the connector body (the plug), which is pushing the tab towards rear of jeep. I even got a small forceps to grab the plug well enough that I can pull down on the plug, but it won't move more than 1-2 mm up and down, which makes me think it is still locked. I have used a mirror to verify the tab is pushed open. I have tried pressing harder with the 1/4" screw driver and it makes no difference, except the tension makes it harder to move the plug up and down. I have tried wiggling using the wires, doesn't move the plug, and I don't want to pull much on the wires and damage it. This is ridiculous that they uses such a tiny plug body that is so difficult to remove in such an awkward location. clearly my connectors have very tight connection and it is difficult to slide over the locking tab even when it is pushed down/flat. So, I remain stuck after about 3 hours of trying.

Last edited:

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
thank you, yes I did it the same way, pushing the locking tab flat against the connector body (the plug), which is pushing the tab towards rear of jeep. I even got a small forceps to grab the plug well enough that I can pull down on the plug, but it won't move more than 1-2 mm up and down, which makes me think it is still locked. I have used a mirror to verify the tab is pushed open. I have tried pressing harder with the 1/4" screw driver and it makes no difference, except the tension makes it harder to move the plug up and down. I have tried wiggling using the wires, doesn't move the plug, and I don't want to pull much on the wires and damage it. This is ridiculous that they uses such a tiny plug body that is so difficult to remove in such an awkward location. clearly my connectors have very tight connection and it is difficult to slide over the locking tab even when it is pushed down/flat. So, I remain stuck after about 3 hours of trying.
reply to myself- finally got them pulled, had to use a small screw driver and pry out the smaller one mm by mm while tab pushed in, and then same on the bigger one. I will figure out some way to attach a puller of some type to these troublesome connectors.

to make it easier in the future I filed down all sides a little and the notch tab that locks a little, I applied glide stick (silicone lube for drawers/doors etc), and it is much easier now to pull out the sgw connector from their stock sockets. There was not room for a pull tab on the connector.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
William Hays

William Hays

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 1985 CJ7
Occupation
Retired
reply to myself- finally got them pulled, had to use a small screw driver and pry out the smaller one mm by mm while tab pushed in, and then same on the bigger one. I will figure out some way to attach a puller of some type to these troublesome connectors.
Really sorry to hear you had so much trouble. At least you are moving forward. Hopefully your experience will provide guidance to others.

I really love the options made possible by the Tazer. Here are some that I am using.
SS Kill
AP Kill
Turn Cam (needs screen caption "Objects are REALLY closer than they appear" LOL) (I still love it)
Nav in Motion (co-pilot likes this one)
TPMS Alarm adjust
Tire Size adjust
Cargo Cam (wish there was a way to relabel it "Front Cam")(I still love it)
Fog Lamp Dropout Kill
Winch Mode

I just wish someone @ FCA could give me a straight answer why I don't have Off Road Pages. Took it to the dealer, they opened a Star Case and called me back in a couple of weeks later and got it working, disappeared 5 miles down the road. NOT HAPPY!!!

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Really sorry to hear you had so much trouble. At least you are moving forward. Hopefully your experience will provide guidance to others.

I really love the options made possible by the Tazer. Here are some that I am using.
SS Kill
AP Kill
Turn Cam (needs screen caption "Objects are REALLY closer than they appear" LOL) (I still love it)
Nav in Motion (co-pilot likes this one)
TPMS Alarm adjust
Tire Size adjust
Cargo Cam (wish there was a way to relabel it "Front Cam")(I still love it)
Fog Lamp Dropout Kill
Winch Mode

I just wish someone @ FCA could give me a straight answer why I don't have Off Road Pages. Took it to the dealer, they opened a Star Case and called me back in a couple of weeks later and got it working, disappeared 5 miles down the road. NOT HAPPY!!!
when I married it, set cargo cam on, and the did the official somewhat OCD reboots, I noticed from then on that I get a loud high pitched whining noise if the ignition is set to run and the engine not running. disconnecting the cargo cam near the camera makes no difference. I did the full reboot again, and still have the whining noise; only hear it by engine not in car w doors closed or when engine running.
Is this noise normal?

Last edited:
OP
OP
William Hays

William Hays

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 1985 CJ7
Occupation
Retired
when I married it, set cargo cam on, and the did the official somewhat OCD reboots, I noticed from then on that I get a loud high pitched whining noise if the ignition is set to run and the engine not running. disconnecting the cargo cam near the camera makes no difference. I did the full reboot again, and still have the whining noise; only hear it by engine not in car w doors closed or when engine running.
Is this noise normal?
Haven't noticed the noise you described. I may have to check further.
I have the front camera powered through one of the AUX switches. When on, there is a little noise on CB channel 4. Also, I installed a Backup Cam on my CJ7 last year and it has noise on CB channel 4 when powered up in reverse.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
this seems unrelated to camera, and it is there with tmini unmarried too. It must be normal? obvious when hood is open, engine not running and ignition switch is on Run.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
this seems unrelated to camera, and it is there with tmini unmarried too. It must be normal? obvious when hood is open, engine not running and ignition switch is on Run.
Ok confirmed this is normal noise. Zautomotive also confirms. No worries
Sponsored