Sponsored

TAZER JL Essential Tools for Geezers with Grubby & Arthritic hands like me.

William Hays

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 1985 CJ7
Occupation
Retired
I find these 3 basic tools to be most helpful when installing or removing the Tazer Bypass Module.

1st. Get a good small light. I glued a magnet to a small LED light and attached the light to the small metal bar under the dash and in front of the 2 wiring plugs to be removed or reinstalled.
DSCN1970.JPG

DSCN1971.JPG

2nd. Use a 1/4" long flat screwdriver to "FULLY" depress the connector Locking Tabs. I have found that when the Tabs are "FULLY" depressed, very little force on the wires will unseat the connectors. It is possible to use a shorter screwdriver than the one pictured. This one works really well.
DSCN1972.JPG

3rd. A short piece of CPVC Conduit works well for a connector reinsertion tool, in the event you have to return your JL to the Dealer for any service where they will need access to the OBDII port.

Cut one end of the Conduit at an angle. Not critical, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 degrees. Then cut a slot in the Conduit perpendicular to the angled cut as shown. When properly made, while holding the conduit up in front of you, the angled cut will slope toward you and the slot will be on the right. Place the base of the connector on top of the angled cut with the wires placed into the slot. Simply push the connector home until the locking tab snaps.
DSCN1969.JPG
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@William Hays

Cool........... thanks for sharing.

I just recently started using this $3.99, LED light that I purchased at Harbor Freight. What a difference such a light makes when you are working with the connector's on the Gateway module.

Of course, pulling off, the plastic panel under the steering column makes a world of difference also. I have always done that.

63601_I.jpg

OP
OP
William Hays

William Hays

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 1985 CJ7
Occupation
Retired
@William Hays

Cool........... thanks for sharing.

I just recently started using this $3.99, LED light that I purchased at Harbor Freight. What a difference such a light makes when you are working with the connector's on the Gateway module.

Of course, pulling off, the plastic panel under the steering column makes a world of difference also. I have always done that.

63601_I.jpg
Nice Light.
No way for me without removing the plastic panel!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, you can get the led light I mention, FREE ... with any Harbor Freight purchase right now.

See this add:
DO have a screen shot of the associated coupon and they will scan it at Harbor Freight, and you will be good to go for the freebe.

Screenshot_2019-01-26 Harbor Freight Tools – Quality Tools at Discount Prices Since 1977.jpg

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Oh, you can get the led light I mention, FREE ... with any Harbor Freight purchase right now.

See this add:
DO have a screen shot of the associated coupon and they will scan it at Harbor Freight, and you will be good to go for the freebe.

Screenshot_2019-01-26 Harbor Freight Tools – Quality Tools at Discount Prices Since 1977.jpg
The freebie is a no brainer. I have several and find lots of uses for them. This is the ultimate HF light, though, and the one I use for the task of installing and removing my Tazer, as well as changing oil and working under the hood: https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lumen-magnetic-slim-bar-folding-led-work-light-63958.html

They go as low as $19.99. This 30% coupon is good for this weekend.

upload_2019-1-26_14-10-26.jpeg

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I find these 3 basic tools to be most helpful when installing or removing the Tazer Bypass Module.

1st. Get a good small light. I glued a magnet to a small LED light and attached the light to the small metal bar under the dash and in front of the 2 wiring plugs to be removed or reinstalled.
DSCN1970.JPG

DSCN1971.JPG

2nd. Use a 1/4" long flat screwdriver to "FULLY" depress the connector Locking Tabs. I have found that when the Tabs are "FULLY" depressed, very little force on the wires will unseat the connectors. It is possible to use a shorter screwdriver than the one pictured. This one works really well.
DSCN1972.JPG

3rd. A short piece of CPVC Conduit works well for a connector reinsertion tool, in the event you have to return your JL to the Dealer for any service where they will need access to the OBDII port.

Cut one end of the Conduit at an angle. Not critical, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 degrees. Then cut a slot in the Conduit perpendicular to the angled cut as shown. When properly made, while holding the conduit up in front of you, the angled cut will slope toward you and the slot will be on the right. Place the base of the connector on top of the angled cut with the wires placed into the slot. Simply push the connector home until the locking tab snaps.
DSCN1969.JPG
Thanks for the tips, I am also one of the old people, this is not a fun process for anybody. Removing the plastic kick panel under the steering column is the FIRST step when installing/or removing the connectors.

Unfortunately I had to removed my Tazer today, going to take my Jeep in for some minor warranty work next week and ORP update, going to play it safe and not leave the Tazer installed when it goes to the dealer service department.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

DSCN1970.JPG

DSCN1971.JPG

DSCN1972.JPG

DSCN1969.JPG
Thank you :beer:.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
I’ve always used a clip on Streamlight and a long common screwdriver. Without a light it’s almost impossible to see what your doing.

0A0D1D07-FA65-4947-A156-1B76E2CCF12A.jpeg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That particular JL plastic panel, under the steering column, that we pull to get easy access to the gateway module, costs $25 and is a Lower Cover - Mopar (6AA94TX7AA)
lll.JPG

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 I have lost a few of those clips that hold that panel on so I don’t pull it off anymore but since filling the connectors down just alittle they come out pretty easily

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@WranglerMan

Daaaaah.... you are not supposed to lose those white plastic clips. There's 6, I think.

How the heck did you lose them.. How many are you missing.. ?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@WranglerMan

Daaaaah.... you are not supposed to lose those white plastic clips. There's 6, I think.

How the heck did you lose them.. How many are you missing.. ?
To be honest I have no idea the second time I had it off I noticed one missing and it was not to be found so guessing inside the dash somewhere and then I pulled it again showing a friend of mine where the Tazer and or Smart Stop/Start gets plugged into and be dammed if another one didn’t disappear so I’m done taking the panel off but need to find the clips but so far I can’t find the number

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@WranglerMan

I'll do you a solid and mail you 2.

PM me your email address.

Don't friggin lose the one's I send you.. :giggle:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will