JL_Krawler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hi all,

I have a 2020 JL rubicon with 37” tires. I purchased a Tazer to recalibrate for my tire size and TPMS. I had a small issue with me Jeep so I removed the tazer and took it to the dealership for a check up, turns out they said they could not diagnose my problem because they said the computer was reading a speed error because of my larger tires and I need to get that calibrated first. However if I can’t go to the dealership with my Tazer plugged in.

Was wondering if anyone has ever had the issue where the dealership says your speed calibration is off due to
Larger tires so we cannot continue until you get it calibrated (ps they quoted me almost $300 for them to do it)
Sponsored

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I don’t have any advice but I’d say they are trying to work you over for some $ thinking you didn’t recalibrate on your own. But, if you admit to using the tazer it may cause other issues. I’d try another dealer.

I programmed my tpms and speedo using a flashcal and have gotten dealer warranty work several times without a question.

Did you remove the gateway portion from under the dash prior to taking it in?

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Many people have brought their jeep in for service and unmarried the tazer first with no issues.

I would agree they are trying to get $300 out of you. Which is way too much, its like a 10min job for the dealer. I would go somewhere else, a speedo adjustment should not affect any work being done on your Jeep. They are just assholes.

OP
OP
JL_Krawler

JL_Krawler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t have any advice but I’d say they are trying to work you over for some $ thinking you didn’t recalibrate on your own. But, if you admit to using the tazer it may cause other issues. I’d try another dealer.

I programmed my tpms and speedo using a flashcal and have gotten dealer warranty work several times without a question.

Did you remove the gateway portion from under the dash prior to taking it in?
yes I unmarried the system and disconnected the Tazer and put everything back

OP
OP
JL_Krawler

JL_Krawler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many people have brought their jeep in for service and unmarried the tazer first with no issues.

I would agree they are trying to get $300 out of you. Which is way too much, its like a 10min job for the dealer. I would go somewhere else, a speedo adjustment should not affect any work being done on your Jeep. They are just assholes.
Yea I won’t be going to that dealership anymore

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
I've been back to the dealer a couple of times since installing the Tazer, once for warranty and once for regular service. I've not removed it since the install and got zero blowback.

It will be interesting to see what I run into when I go in for the reflash to correct the issue with the rear camera image freezing on as you drive forward.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I've been back to the dealer a couple of times since installing the Tazer, once for warranty and once for regular service. I've not removed it since the install and got zero blowback.

It will be interesting to see what I run into when I go in for the reflash to correct the issue with the rear camera image freezing on as you drive forward.
Don’t do that! My understanding is that when the Tazer marries itself it makes a copy of the factory flash. When you unmarry it puts it back. If your dealer gives you a new flash while Tazer is married you’ll lose it (or worse) when you eventually unmarry.

If too lazy to unplug it, at least unmarry it before you go in for that service.

I feel the original two piece Tazer has an advantage in this regard. I can unmarry and unplug very easily. Leaving the secure gateway bypass in place won’t hurt anything, and there’s a good argument for having one in place even with no programmer - use of an OBDII scanner. No decent shop would blink an eye at that.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Don’t do that! My understanding is that when the Tazer marries itself it makes a copy of the factory flash. When you unmarry it puts it back. If your dealer gives you a new flash while Tazer is married you’ll lose it (or worse) when you eventually unmarry.

If too lazy to unplug it, at least unmarry it before you go in for that service.

I feel the original two piece Tazer has an advantage in this regard. I can unmarry and unplug very easily. Leaving the secure gateway bypass in place won’t hurt anything, and there’s a good argument for having one in place even with no programmer - use of an OBDII scanner. No decent shop would blink an eye at that.
Problem is, my big hands. The hardest part of the install was getting the harness unplugged from up inside the dash. I'm not the only one that has suggested they make an extension harness to make multiple removal/reinstalls easy.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Problem is, my big hands. The hardest part of the install was getting the harness unplugged from up inside the dash. I'm not the only one that has suggested they make an extension harness to make multiple removal/reinstalls easy.
You can, and should, unmarry without unplugging.

Dntblnk22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
I am using a Tazer Mini. Just so I completely understand, you can unmarry, but leave the Tazer module cabled up as is, and the Jeep will simply run the previous flash (presumably the last dealer flash)? Dealer can cable up and reflash while the Tazer Mini is still installed, but unmarried?

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hi all,

I have a 2020 JL rubicon with 37” tires. I purchased a Tazer to recalibrate for my tire size and TPMS. I had a small issue with me Jeep so I removed the tazer and took it to the dealership for a check up, turns out they said they could not diagnose my problem because they said the computer was reading a speed error because of my larger tires and I need to get that calibrated first. However if I can’t go to the dealership with my Tazer plugged in.

Was wondering if anyone has ever had the issue where the dealership says your speed calibration is off due to
Larger tires so we cannot continue until you get it calibrated (ps they quoted me almost $300 for them to do it)
Edit... Just realized this was an old post that somehow popped up in my feed. But my sentiment remains :)

I call BS on a speed error. The jeep's computers have no idea the tire height changed and they don't care. The driver cares because the speedo reads incorrectly. It's one thing if you had taller tires in the back and shorter in the front, like a car. The the computers could be seeing a speed differential between the wheels and trigger something. But, all four tires are the same size, just taller (at least I assume).

Ask them what "code" they are seeing that's a "speed error".

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I am using a Tazer Mini. Just so I completely understand, you can unmarry, but leave the Tazer module cabled up as is, and the Jeep will simply run the previous flash (presumably the last dealer flash)? Dealer can cable up and reflash while the Tazer Mini is still installed, but unmarried?
Yep

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Unmarry and disconnect. If you have the older version then also disconnect the little black box as well. Your tire setting and your computer will go back to stock. If they are still giving you grief then leave.
Everyone else said you can leave the sgm installed after unmarrying.

I’m curious why you say remove?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Everyone else said you can leave the sgm installed after unmarrying.

I’m curious why you say remove?
@intentsrig

Not sure why you think "Everyone else said you can leave the sgm installed after unmarrying".

Reality is, the thought on this, (even Joe at ZAutomotive has said this) is that it is prudent, to always ... before a dealership, Service Department, unmarry theTazer JL, remove the Tazer JL hardware and then be absolutely sure to reconnect the 2 cables to the security gateway..

So, if you have an Original, 2 piece, Tazer JL, you unmarry, pull the Tazer JL from the OBDII port and then remove the companion, security gateway bypass module and reconnect the 2 cables to the security gateway..

IF, you have a Tazer JL Lite or Mini, you unmarry, disconnect the Lite or Mini and reconnect the 2 cables to the security gateway..

Suggest if you find dealing with the 2 connectors at the security gateway a pain in the arse (most guys/gals do) that you buy a SGW Extension Cable..... you will be happy you did for obvious reasons..
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/sgw-extension-cable/
Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer JL and Dealership SGW-Extension-Cable
Sponsored