Tazer JL and Dealership

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Don’t do that! My understanding is that when the Tazer marries itself it makes a copy of the factory flash. When you unmarry it puts it back. If your dealer gives you a new flash while Tazer is married you’ll lose it (or worse) when you eventually unmarry.

If too lazy to unplug it, at least unmarry it before you go in for that service.

I feel the original two piece Tazer has an advantage in this regard. I can unmarry and unplug very easily. Leaving the secure gateway bypass in place won’t hurt anything, and there’s a good argument for having one in place even with no programmer - use of an OBDII scanner. No decent shop would blink an eye at that.
If the only argument against leaving the tazer installed is potential issues when you unmarry it later, then why bother? I've left mine installed and married both for service and warranty repairs and my dealer had no issues. The only thing they did was note on my paperwork that my tpms setting was below recommended psi (covering their ass if I had tire issues later). If I plan to never unmarry, the tazer will never overwrite the latest dealer file.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
If the only argument against leaving the tazer installed is potential issues when you unmarry it later, then why bother? I've left mine installed and married both for service and warranty repairs and my dealer had no issues. The only thing they did was note on my paperwork that my tpms setting was below recommended psi (covering their ass if I had tire issues later). If I plan to never unmarry, the tazer will never overwrite the latest dealer file.
@Zandcwhite

Your only issue is not just with the dealer being concerned with the programmer and denying warranty work, etc. because of it..... but more importantly, is FCA being made aware that your JL/JT is running with a programmer..

When the dealership Tech hooks your vehicle up to the wiTECHII, it logs in with FCA with the VIN# of your vehicle..

FCA can and does see all
, lets say... if they take the time to do so.. sure might do that if there is an issue that will cost FCA money... With that said your buddy Service Manager and or Tech, may be programmer friendly but....... but if you think FCA is, think again....

Also.. you should definitely read here as you have some misconceptions it seems in regard to "write over"

Read here... especially the last 2 paragraphs..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-mini-needs-to-stay-married.61293/post-1310209

Go to ZAutomotive's website and buy this... having this ends having to deal with the angst and agony 8-) of making the connections at the SWG.
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw_ext/

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone else said you can leave the sgm installed after unmarrying.

I’m curious why you say remove?
Im curious to, when I ran a two piece Tazer several years ago I never removed the SGW bypass module just unmarried it and went in for service and they never said a word, even when I had to have my vehicle inspected here in Texas I left the bypass module plugged in and they plugged into the OBDII port to do there testing and it all worked.

I currently run JSCAN and use a cable but thinking I will be ordering the SGW bypass module from Joe and be done.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im curious to, when I ran a two piece Tazer several years ago I never removed the SGW bypass module just unmarried it and went in for service and they never said a word, even when I had to have my vehicle inspected here in Texas I left the bypass module plugged in and they plugged into the OBDII port to do there testing and it all worked.

I currently run JSCAN and use a cable but thinking I will be ordering the SGW bypass module from Joe and be done.
@WranglerMan

Since my 2018 JL , is no longer covered under warranty (42,000 miles) I don't worry about removing the ZAutomotive bypass module that I have installed. Don't remove it for State inspections or even dealer visits when they update my pcm, etc... The dealer's wiTECHII has been able to do it's thing...

My post about removing the bypass module is lets call it a generic posting.. Most that read posts on these forums own JLJT's still under warranty.... so I aim posts at them.... For sure, any guy /gal with a vehicle still under warranty would be foolish in my opinion (for numerous reasons) to leave any programmer hardware on their vehicle when they take the vehicle into the dealership Service Department.... would make little sense to do so, especially now with the SGW extension cable and it only taking seconds.... again seconds to remove the bypass and reconnect the two cables at the gateway....

I might add, that even guys using JSCAN, should get the needed hardware disconnected and the 2 cables at the gateway reconnected when going to the dealership Service Dept..

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
If the only argument against leaving the tazer installed is potential issues when you unmarry it later, then why bother?
Because I unmarry before upgrading firmware. Do I have to? Maybe not, but I am a software developer and know very well that upgrades carry a risk. If I leave it married and the firmware upgrade fails, then what? Should I never upgrade and benefit from new features and bug fixes because I was too lazy to press a button?

I, for one, am very uncomfortable with that idea that I need to forever keep my Tazer married until “death do us part.” I really don’t see even the best dealer helping me restore the correct flash build in the event I clobber it with my Tazer. At least not without changing me $150/hr.

Also, maybe someday I want to sell it and use a different programmer. Maybe I want to sell my Jeep and not include a $300 piece of hardware that I can sell to a forum member.

To each his own... to me, unmarrying is cheap and easy insurance. With available extension cables, even physically removing a mini is a piece of cake. Certainly just unmarrying is no hassle.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Because I unmarry before upgrading firmware. Do I have to? Maybe not, but I am a software developer and know very well that upgrades carry a risk. If I leave it married and the firmware upgrade fails, then what? Should I never upgrade and benefit from new features and bug fixes because I was too lazy to press a button?

I, for one, am very uncomfortable with that idea that I need to forever keep my Tazer married until “death do us part.” I really don’t see even the best dealer helping me restore the correct flash build in the event I clobber it with my Tazer. At least not without changing me $150/hr.

Also, maybe someday I want to sell it and use a different programmer. Maybe I want to sell my Jeep and not include a $300 piece of hardware that I can sell to a forum member.

To each his own... to me, unmarrying is cheap and easy insurance. With available extension cables, even physically removing a mini is a piece of cake. Certainly just unmarrying is no hassle.
That makes sense, mine is there for the few functions I needed it for so I don't upgrade the firmware. I'd never pull it to sell the jeep as the 37's kind of make it staying mandatory. It let's me have control of the sway bar and lockers, and adjust for tire size and tpms threshold. I don't need anything else out of it. When you unmarry, do you have to adjust tire size and tpms all over again?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
That makes sense, mine is there for the few functions I needed it for so I don't upgrade the firmware. I'd never pull it to sell the jeep as the 37's kind of make it staying mandatory. It let's me have control of the sway bar and lockers, and adjust for tire size and tpms threshold. I don't need anything else out of it. When you unmarry, do you have to adjust tire size and tpms all over again?
Yes, when you unmarry and remarry you have to redo the settings. After a time or two it becomes second nature. I can do it in no time. (My wife would agree.)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
@intentsrig

Not sure why you think "Everyone else said you can leave the sgm installed after unmarrying".

Reality is, the thought on this, (even Joe at ZAutomotive has said this) is that it is prudent, to always ... before a dealership, Service Department, unmarry theTazer JL, remove the Tazer JL hardware and then be absolutely sure to reconnect the 2 cables to the security gateway..

So, if you have an Original, 2 piece, Tazer JL, you unmarry, pull the Tazer JL from the OBDII port and then remove the companion, security gateway bypass module and reconnect the 2 cables to the security gateway..

IF, you have a Tazer JL Lite or Mini, you unmarry, disconnect the Lite or Mini and reconnect the 2 cables to the security gateway..

Suggest if you find dealing with the 2 connectors at the security gateway a pain in the arse (most guys/gals do) that you buy a SGW Extension Cable..... you will be happy you did for obvious reasons..
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/sgw-extension-cable/
SGW-Extension-Cable.png
Yep, that cable is a life saver! Not cheap, but darned well worth every penny in terms of how much easier it makes prepping for a dealer visit.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, that cable is a life saver! Not cheap, but darned well worth every penny in terms of how much easier it makes prepping for a dealer visit.
@DanW

Take solace in the fact that you will be easily able to sell that SGW Extension Cable for a few $ less then you paid for it when you sell that JL someday.... Same with the Tazer JL you have... it will sell quickly when you are ready to say bye bye to it. 8-)
Sponsored