Tazer JL - 3rd brake light pulse feature

akasjl

First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Good evening. For those with a taser & the latest firmware, 11.2.5, have any of you had issues getting this specific feature to work? The feature does not take immediately when I set it, does not take after I have performed a full reboot with sleep cycles, or unmarried the unit with sleep cycles, etc. I have even performed a recovery with an auto update as well as a manual install and nothing. I can get other programmable live features that I typically do not use to work, just not this one.

I have been in contact with the folks at Z Automotive but am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue. TIA.
Sponsored

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Is that feature under the lights or other heading? I haven't tried messing with the tazer while the Jeeps running.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Is that feature under the lights or other heading? I haven't tried messing with the tazer while the Jeeps running.
It has it's own heading. You'll have a fast, medium, and slow option. There's also an option for how many flashes the light does.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
That's a worthy feature to have functioning.

I've used these modules for years on my motorcycles, to good effect. They really do serve to increase the average following distance of the vehicles behind me, as well as the space between us when stopped. It's nice to learn that the Tazer offers a related, attention-grabbing functionality.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
This may be me unknowingly whacking a hornet’s nest, but oh well...

I just did this - updated my Tazer and activated the pulsing 3rd brake light. It makes a ton of sense to me because it’s always grabbed my attention when I’m closely trailing motorcycles And they hit the brakes.

After some Googling (dangerous I know), I realized this was illegal in many states (or it was around 2016-2018 when most of the articles I read were written) because flashing or pulsing imitates emergency response vehicles and could cause confusion. So, brake lights had to remain a constant brightness (no flickering, pulsing, flashing, etc.). Obviously, this law and its interpretation is state-by-state.

But, here’s my question - If I kept this operational and was heavily rear-ended at a traffic light and a bystander or the other driver reported that they saw my tail light pulsing and it was confirmed true, could I be held liable and blamed for the accident because I was not compliant to the code and running an illegal mod (or if not a legal thing, could insurance companies deny a claim for this reason)?

Not trying to be an ass - sincerely asking because we have tons of terrible drivers and tons of a-holes who want to avoid blame and point fingers to cover their backsides when they screw up.

Asking for a friend....

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase

I just did this - updated my Tazer and activated the pulsing 3rd brake light. It makes a ton of sense to me because it’s always grabbed my attention when I’m closely trailing motorcycles And they hit the brakes.

After some Googling (dangerous I know), I realized this was illegal in many states (or it was around 2016-2018 when most of the articles I read were written) because flashing or pulsing imitates emergency response vehicles and could cause confusion. So, brake lights had to remain a constant brightness (no flickering, pulsing, flashing, etc.). Obviously, this law and its interpretation is state-by-state.

But, here’s my question - If I kept this operational and was heavily rear-ended at a traffic light and a bystander or the other driver reported that they saw my tail light pulsing and it was confirmed true, could I be held liable and blamed for the accident because I was not compliant to the code and running an illegal mod (or if not a legal thing, could insurance companies deny a claim for this reason)?

Not trying to be an ass - sincerely asking because we have tons of terrible drivers and tons of a-holes who want to avoid blame and point fingers to cover their backsides when they screw up.

Asking for a friend....
Aren’t there many vehicles out there that do this stock? I am sure I’ve seen vehicles on the road that will flash each time they hit the brake light. If it werent allowed, how would they change that when it’s a factory option.

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aren’t there many vehicles out there that do this stock? I am sure I’ve seen vehicles on the road that will flash each time they hit the brake light. If it werent allowed, how would they change that when it’s a factory option.
Great point - That’s partly why I referenced my articles were a few years back. I’m wondering if the laws are changing more recently to allow this or encourage it even? And other references were saying that they may be more dealer add-ons rather than from the factory and the dealer charges 500 bucks or so for the 20 dollar DIY chip. I recall reading that a few auto makers have this function only if the brakes are hit hard in the event of an emergency stop, but not for daily braking. I totally hear you and agree, though, which does alleviate my worry a bit.

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For Virginia.... I do not know if this pertains to aftermarket?

See section D paragraph3

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title19/agency30/chapter70/section190/
Thanks for sharing - Yes, I read earlier today about the emergency vs daily driver aspect of this function on some vehicles and that I believe it is factory installed in some upper end brands only as an emergency function. Maybe this is what Virginia is allowing/referring to? Again, this is 20 minutes of Google researching, so I am not an expert, merely a novice trying to understand more.

Sponsored

CJACKZ

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2003 Expedition, 2003 C230 kompressor
Occupation
Making Trash
WOW... you spent 20 minutes in google and I only read the first thing that popped up.. 😂 Just Kidding... I too am guilty of over researching things my wife feels are useless on the internet.
Until she needs to know something that I researched then it is worthwhile.

go figure 🤦‍♂️

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
The legality of the flashing brake lights is a good question, so I poked around leginfo to see if I could find some California information.

Good news, it’s legal!

“Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by Section 24603 may be equipped so as to flash not more than four times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of the brakes.”

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=25251.5.

Referenced Section 24603: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=24603.&lawCode=VEH

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I guess this means I better check CO laws before I get myself in trouble. :like:

Village Idiot

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Asking for a friend....
This question requires a lawyer to answer completely. Btw, the other two taillights still light up red without pulsing, so it’s going to be a tough argument from the person who rear ended you. The general rule of thumb is that if someone rear ends you, it is almost always their fault...