Tazer JL 11.07 LAST CALL - LAST CALL !!

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've got a charger that will test it without charging. I'll check it out. What should I be seeing, 12.6 or so?
12.6 sounds about right.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I pulled mine off a Deltran tender this a.m and initially battery voltages metered at 13+ but this is pretty common coming off a charger but a few hours later batteries are reading 12.6-12.7

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a multi tester? You might want to test your battery voltage first thing in the morning, before you start the jeep, to see what it reads. IMO and I'm not sure about this, if your constantly in the 14's, it may indicate your batteries are low.
I was told by he service tech that replaced my battery that if voltage constantly is showing 14+ either the IBS is reading an incorrect voltage or the batteries are actually low and need charging or in my case my main battery was bad but still started my JL.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
EVIC always shows 14.2 on mine. Tazer has been plugged in since June. 9k miles. ESS works if I want it to (which is never).

<shrug>

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
EVIC always shows 14.2 on mine. Tazer has been plugged in since June. 9k miles. ESS works if I want it to (which is never).

<shrug>
Well like I said the service tech told me that seeing 14+ all the time is not how it’s supposed to be and if you are seeing that there is a possible battery issue or issue with the IBS interfaced to the ECM, told me that the JL voltage is supposedly kept at the minimal voltage and that’s around the 12.6-12.8 range and that’s at the battery and not what the EVIC displays which is not the true battery voltage, mine displayed 14+ volts for several months and I never gave it much thought as ESS was disabled thru the Tazer and it started everyday but when I removed the Tazer that’s when I saw the battery charging message and ESS didn’t work but again the JL started everyday and it was not until they tested my battery they advised the main was bad and replaced it and shortly after they did my voltage dropped down to the 12.6-12.8 range at idle and it did the same thing when I first got it.

I’m pretty old school and always saw 14+ on a running vehicle and 12.7 at rest and that was always a way to check your charging system with a meter but now things seem more complicated on checking the charging system.

My suggestion to all is to get an inexpensive DC volt meter and check your batteries at the source and from what I gather they should be in the 12.6-12.8 range all the time and if they are not and your EVIC voltage displays a 14+ all the time I would have the batteries tested

Last edited:

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well like I said the service tech told me that seeing 14+ all the time is not how it’s supsed to be and if you are seeing that there is a possible battery issue or issue with the IBS interfaced to the ECM, told me that the JL voltage is supposedly kept at the minimal voltage and that’s around the 12.6-12.8 range and that’s at the battery and got what the EVIC displays which is not the true battery voltage, mine displayed 14+ for several months and I never gave it much thought as ESS was disabled thru the Tazer and it started everyday but when I removed the Tazer that’s when I saw the battery charging message but again the JL started everyday and it was not until they tested my battery they advised the main was bad and replaced it and shortly after they did my voltage dropped down to the 12.6-12.8 range at idle and it did the same thing when I first got it.

I’m pretty old school and always saw 14+ on a running vehicle and 12.7 at rest and that was always a way to check your charging system with a meter but now things seem more complicated or checking the charging system.

My suggestion to all is to get an inexpensive DC volt meter and check your batteries at the source and from what I gather they should be in the 12.6-12.8 range all the time and if they are not and your EVIC voltage displays a 14+ all the time I would have the batteries tested
TL;DR

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry it’s to long and you chose not to read just passing on what I feel is useful info, my experiences on my JL don’t apply to all but some may benefit from what info I have collected.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@WranglerMan

When you do lengthy forum posts, try to leave more white let's say in the paragraph. Makes for easier reading, etc..

Anyway, l appreciate your post.

To @OldGuyNewJeep ... I suggest you start carrying battery cables in your JL.

My Tazer JL Mini sits in a drawer and for good reason.

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
So no joy... still acting the same. Utility program doesnt recognize it, cant marry up to the jeep and displays "TZJL fail" and with it plugged in and the jeep off just continues in a "boot loop" im thinking it might be because its trying to pair or do something continuously. I rewrote the firmware twice but nothing. Maybe i just got a bad one?
Mine had this issue just a week ago. Email back and forth didn’t help....had to allow their tech to completely control my computer remotely for almost an hour to get it running. Mine works, but it’s draining the battery and doesn’t shut off.

I love the features, but “not killing the battery” is such an obvious feature that I’m getting ready to stick in a drawer until they get it fixed.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry it’s to long and you chose not to read just passing on what I feel is useful info, my experiences on my JL don’t apply to all but some may benefit from what info I have collected.
Apologies for being curt... I was in a mood. ;-)

So, if you’re right, live features of Tazer cause parasitic battery drain. Is your Jeep your DD? Maybe I drive mine often enough that the alternator can keep up. We’ll see. I’m not ready to put in in a drawer, yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@OldGuyNewJeep
Does your JL have the upgraded alternator and batteries? @WranglerMan 's JL, does not.

With the upgraded alternator and batteries, a JL, would not be so, lets say quickly impacted by 12v draw.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@OldGuyNewJeep
Does your JL have the upgraded alternator and batteries? @WranglerMan does not.

With the upgraded alternator and batteries, a guy would not be so, lets say quickly impacted.
It does, indeed.

So it’s no secret that you’ve been Tazer’s #1 fanboy since its release. Are you now convinced this is a real bug? I’m pretty shocked to hear you’ve put it in your drawer!

I guess I ought to stick a multimeter on my battery to see what it says... I’ll report back.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well had an interesting morning, this is the second day with the Tazer married to the JL but not plugged into the OBDII port, all I did was set tire size and TPMS limits after taking it off my trickle charger yesterday and then pulled the unit.

Today I checked voltage at three points while Jeep was off and all three were 12.63 and displayed voltage in the EVIC while idle was 13, well started running a few errands and just let ESS do it’s thing and all was going well and idle voltage displayed while ESS was not engaged was in the 12.7 range then at the next stop ESS kicked in and then when it disengaged the voltage spiked to 14.3 and stayed there and no matter how I drove it stayed at the 14+ so when I came home I grabbed my meter and checked voltages and they were in the 12.83 range so I just figured I would watch and see what happens.

Well I had one more errand to run so off I went and it was a short run but on the way the voltage displayed in the EVIC was at the 14+ then on the way home while driving it magically dropped very quickly to the 12.6-12.8 and again while slowing down voltage ramped to over 14+ so again when I got home I again used my meter and all three points were in the 12.63-12.65 range so not sure what’s going on there but I do know that for the past three weeks with no Tazer married ESS has worked perfectly and voltage displayed has been very consistent in the 12.6-12.8 range on the EVIC display and ramped up when slowing down.

So tomorrow we will continue to check voltages and correct ESS operation, one thing also I have noted is for the past few days since having the Tazer married but not installed ESS sometimes just says not ready but gives no reason and then after a 1/2 mile or so of driving it then displays ready and this occurs right after starting but gives no reason why it’s not ready

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Apologies for being curt... I was in a mood. ;-)

So, if you’re right, live features of Tazer cause parasitic battery drain. Is your Jeep your DD? Maybe I drive mine often enough that the alternator can keep up. We’ll see. I’m not ready to put in in a drawer, yet.
Yes Sir my JL is a daily driver, we don’t necessarily go lots of places but do scoot around town here in Houston and then I use it to go back and fourth to work which is about 55 miles round trip but I only work 14 days a month unless I pick up an extra shift.

Once a month I have a long change where I am off seven days in a row and it does sometimes stay parked for 2-3 days but if a vehicle can’t be parked for say 2-3 days a month and not start that’s a vehicle I don’t need.

This whole ESS thing is the biggest PITA that a maker has ever come up with, maybe other makers have it down to a science but seems FCA failed on the Jeep with ESS, don’t get me wrong I honestly really love my Jeep and the only real issue has been the ESS battery issue, maybe its related to the Tazer and a parasitic draw or maybe I have other issues but seems others are starting to chime in on battery issues as well and they are using Tazers and I’m not sure how many have the upgraded alternator and battery but for me if it comes down to keeping the Tazer in play and always being concerned about my battery or running without it and enjoying the ride it’s going to be the latter I go with.

RockinMarine

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL, Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired Marine/ Techician for Disney
Joe@Zauto, I see the Tazer disables the Travel Link, and the weather notices. But is it possible to just disable the annoying messages, and still be able to use the Travel Link ? I like using the weather maps, but these messages and advisories are a flippin headache.
Sponsored