Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@ar15rifle

And you also see this > "Voltage at 14.0-14.7 all of the time." ??

--------------

When I had my Tazer JL and Tazer JL Min (I have had both) installed, the JL always ran voltage at 14.0-14.7 all of the time. I had a battery depletion, one time requiring that I jump start the JL.

Anyway, removed the Tazer about 4 weeks ago and have driven 4,000 mi. +. Not once has the voltage reading gone above 13.5 per 8.4 radio, Off Road Pages, display. I monitor closely.

This alone, tells me something is a muck lets say. I do not need to monitor my JL with a voltage meter to know this.

I was running 11.0.6 firmware. The issues, happened with the Tazer JL and the Tazer JL Mini.

My Tazer JL Mini is unmarried, and is still sitting in a drawer in the garage. I can't risk getting stranded due to battery depletion. Yes, I miss using the Tazer JL Min, Live Features, but ..............

How long does it take for the Jeep battery to deplete?

This is weird.

Think I am going to unmarry and put it away till someone figures this out.

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
UPDATE: unplugged the Tazer from OBD but left it married. Battery now charging 14.1 -14.3v all the time while driving. No more battery issues. Mine would stay at 12.7 while driving and go to 13-14v when hitting the brakes. But when start stop would engage, battery would go down below 11v. There is definitely something wrong with the Tazer plugged in that is messing with the charging system. Keep an eye on yours.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Have the tazer JL mini with 11.06 I think. Bought in thanksgiving but had a corrupted file I didn’t know about till dec. got walked thru fixing it at 10p cst on a Sunday night (great customer service) battery will read 14-14.1 for a while then slowly start creeping down. Makes me think it’s recharging the batteries, once they are charged, slowing the rate down for better life and reduced load on the alt.

19 JLUR 6 speed with tire and gear correction.

Brett

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
UPDATE: unplugged the Tazer from OBD but left it married. Battery now charging 14.1 -14.3v all the time while driving. No more battery issues. Mine would stay at 12.7 while driving and go to 13-14v when hitting the brakes. But when start stop would engage, battery would go down below 11v. There is definitely something wrong with the Tazer plugged in that is messing with the charging system. Keep an eye on yours.
I have the 2 piece Tazer original. I have not upgraded from version .03 because the upgraded versions are having to many problems.
I have left it in the port and removed it. Still married, I get 14.1-14.3 either way. I have not had a battery drain. So these problems must be the new firmware versions or the newer single units.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Are all these problems happening on the 3.6. I have a 2.0 turbo and have ran the Tazer original since September. Updated the firmware everytime a new one came out. Zero problems with the battery. The only thing I don't use is the turn cam, it's to distracting while driving. Anyone on here having problems with the Tazer and 2.0 turbo? I have turned off travel link to get rid of weather alerts. I use the Tazer for tire size, and locker features, in motion to use the touch screen while moving. I'll be installing gears soon.
@Huehue80

It has absolutely, no bearing whether you have a 2.0 or a 3.6L engine.

I ran the Tazer Jl from May, right after it's availability and did not think I / it had issues either... Ha ha........ fooled me once but not twice.......

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Huehue80

I have upgraded batteries and upgraded alternator. Meant nothing... Depletion is depletion.... 8-)

No reason to get consumed with the Tazer JL issues... but I do suggest you carry a set of jumper cables with you at all times. IF you were to have an issue, jump start and then go home and get the JL on a trickle charger to get batteries back up to speed.

Yes, you can jump start a JL with battery cables. You probably will not be successful using a 12v power pack.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Been doing battery voltage tests for the past couple weeks and honestly have seen no huge issues but who knows what is causing battery issues, maybe a conflict with Uconnect and Tazer or some setting but time will tell, currently my Tazer is married and I changed a few things and now just gonna run with it and see what happens and yes I have cables

Last edited:

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I have the 2 piece Tazer original. I have not upgraded from version .03 because the upgraded versions are having to many problems.
I have left it in the port and removed it. Still married, I get 14.1-14.3 either way. I have not had a battery drain. So these problems must be the new firmware versions or the newer single units.
Same thing for me exactly! But sometimes mine does go to 14.6 After sitting for two or three days!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Been doing battery voltage tests for the past couple weeks and honestly have seen no huge issues but who knows what is causing battery issues, maybe a conflict with Uconnect and Tazer or some setting but time will tell, currently my Tazer is married and I changed a few things and now just gonna run with it and see what happens and use I have cables
^ Ditto, though I’ve not taken as many samples as @WranglerMan

I’m leaning toward the idea that it might be an issue only with minis, or only with autos with auto park feature on, or maybe some other live feature that I don’t use (in motion, perhaps?)

Anyway, time will tell. Until then, I’m not losing sleep. I’ve had 6+ months and 10,000 miles with my Tazer and my battery hasn’t left me stranded, yet. This thread did prompt me to get a trickle charger, though, and I’ve used it on all three of my vehicles to top them off cuz why not?

Edit: I’ve been on 11.06 since it went GA. I’ve no intention to upgrade without a compelling reason.

Sponsored

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
^ Ditto, though I’ve not taken as many samples as @WranglerMan

I’m leaning toward the idea that it might be an issue only with minis, or only with autos with auto park feature on, or maybe some other live feature that I don’t use (in motion, perhaps?)

Anyway, time will tell. Until then, I’m not losing sleep. I’ve had 6+ months and 10,000 miles with my Tazer and my battery hasn’t left me stranded, yet. This thread did prompt me to get a trickle charger, though, and I’ve used it on all three of my vehicles to top them off cuz why not?

Edit: I’ve been on 11.06 since it went GA. I’ve no intention to upgrade without a compelling reason.
Keep in mine, it was fine for a while, then one day, battery dead. Then I started monitoring the voltage and knew something just wasn't right.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
From chatting with a few techs at the local dealer the voltage is supposed to swing and what you are seeing displayed in the EVIC is what the alterantor is sending to the batteries so in your case the 14+ volts are constantly being sent to the batteries so either the IBS is bad and can not detect the correct voltage or your batteries are in fact low or bad deeming that they be charged at the heigher rate which will shorten there life

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
From chatting with a few techs at the local dealer the voltage is supposed to swing and what you are seeing displayed in the EVIC is what the alterantor is sending to the batteries so in your case the 14+ volts are constantly being sent to the batteries so either the IBS is bad and can not detect the correct voltage or your batteries are in fact low or bad deeming that they be charged at the heigher rate which will shorten there life
Yeah I've heard that too, but a normal car charges their batteries at 14v when the vehicle is running. I wouldn't say that's over charging. Needless to say constant 12.7 with all accessories running while driving doesn't seem right. Also dropping below 11v at start stop also is not right. All I know is mine seems to be working well now without the Tazer live plugged in .

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Mantacon when you are stopped and ESS is engaged you are using the voltage off the smaller ESS battery, mine has dipped down to 11.8-11.9 before on a long stop but if you are still stopped at the 5 min mark the JL is supposed to start on its own

Yes you are correct that batteries are supposed to charge at 14+ all the time but that from my understanding is old school, the way we used to see if an alternator was working. correctly in the old days was with a vehicle stopped and off a battery should be approx 12.65-12.7 but with it running it was supposed to be 14.5 and it’s supposed to be that way the entire time it’s running, I have unofficially been told that the JL utilizes smart charging and the voltage displayed while running can be 12.8-14 depending on how depleted the batteries are, there is an IBS sensor that comes off the main battery negative and it constantly reads the voltage of the batteries and as they need to be charged the alternator is then basically told what rate to charge the batteries at and the more depleted they are the higher that reading will be, case in point I have put my JL on a tender several times before starting some voltage testing and after first getting it off the tender the batteries generally are close to 13+ volts and the EVIC displayed voltage reads approx 12.8 and never moves but withing a few days that voltsge creeps up and my starting evic displayed voltage has generally been 13.5 but within 30 mins or so of driving it drops to 12.8-13.1 and stays there unless I break or just let my foot off the gas and again from what I was told this is the way it’s designed and supposed to charge.

I am betting if you are seeing the 12.7-12.9 while driving and let you foot off the gas or brake that the voltage will spike to over 14 and once stopped without letting ESS kick will drop back down low again

Here is a vid I did right after the dealer replaced my main battery as it was found to be defective, it acted the same way when I first got it but then when the battery crapped out it went to 14+ and ESS was not working but now it does this all the time and I hate to sound like a broken record but I was told this is how it’s supposed to act when things are normal and this was right after I took it off my tender to ensure the battery was at peak charge but withing a few days the low was like 12.8-13.2 depending on how long I drove it