Tazer finally allows video on the 8.4" using an Amazon Firestick

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Well Tazer finally figured out how to get video on the 8.4" using an Amazon Firestick.

I quote..

"Finally was able to get video and audio piped through on the JL’s UAQ radio. All other UAQ/UAS to follow. Here’s a Firestick playing “El Camino” on the JL 8.4 screen."

FB_IMG_1579906847465.jpg

FB_IMG_1579906841356.jpg
Do both video feeds work??? I thought with the JL we only got one video input and i used it for the front camera. Does the second video input work? One video input was I believe pins 21 and 22 (front camera) and the second input was pins 24 and 25 for the Uconnect harness. But again, I thought we can only use one of the video inputs and not both, whereas some other FCA vehicles can.
Sponsored

Turbospeng

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 unlimited rubicon
Hi. I already installed the s automotive front camera kit. My question is if I’m going. Use the same video input as you did as cargo cam. I think I can use a video switcher to switch back and forward. Unless as someone mentioned above is there a second video input? Also main question what are you using for audio? I see the rca where are they pinned to? And what source is it?

OP
OP
Tritonman

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Finally got around to getting video working. Got a Firestick up and running with audio. This still uses the Cargo Cam input because they havent gotten the second video input working.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer finally allows video on the 8.4" using an Amazon Firestick 20210116_180827

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Finally got around to getting video working. Got a Firestick up and running with audio. This still uses the Cargo Cam input because they havent gotten the second video input working.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer finally allows video on the 8.4" using an Amazon Firestick 20210116_180827
Can you give a brief or detailed synopsis on how to do this? Are you utilizing the hotspot on your cell phone to provide the fire stick data? Where are you storing and powering the fire stick? Thanks in advance

awarsaw88

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Does this work for Android? If so, what is the process I need to go through to make this happen? i.e., get fire stick, download app...etc? Thanks for your help in advanced.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tritonman

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Can you give a brief or detailed synopsis on how to do this? Are you utilizing the hotspot on your cell phone to provide the fire stick data? Where are you storing and powering the fire stick? Thanks in advance
So there are a few things you will need to buy first to get started. You dont have to buy EXACTLY what i did for the HDMI adaptor or the USB power. Anything similar should work.

A/V Cables – Z Automotive

Amazon.com: NewBEP HDMI to RCA Cable, HDMI Male to 3RCA/AV Converter Adapter HDMI Signal to Analog AV CVBS - Supports PAL/NTSC for Fire TV,Chromecast. Roku,DVD,HDTV,PC,Laptop,Xbox,PS4 (NewBEP HDMI to RCA Cable): Electronics

Amazon.com: YONHAN 4.8A Motorcycle USB Charger SAE to USB Adapter with Voltmeter & ON/Off Switch, 3 Install Options Waterproof Quick Disconnect Plug for Smart Phone Tablet GPS

TazerJL - so you can enable to Cargo Cam feature and the DVD/CD input

OR

HDMI-AV Kit – Z Automotive

It all depends on how you want to power the HMDI adaptor and your Firestick/Roku which parts option you choose.

Take your TazerJL and enable to Cargo Cam function and the DVD/CD input on your radio (instructions are on Zautomotives website)

Next step is getting the Zautomotive wires installed (they have instructions on their website) This is pretty easy and shouldnt take much more than an hour.

I have my Firestick stored behind the glove box so its easy access in case i need to swap something out. I fed the HDMI adaptor to behind the stereo via a hole that leads from behind the stereo to the glove box and left the USB plug for the adaptor dangling accessible from the glovebox to plug in later while the RCA wires are hanging behind the stereo

Plug in the RCA cables from the HDMI adaptor to the zautomotive rca inputs. Youll be using the Aux 1 input cable from zautomotive kit. I recommend wrapping some electrical tape around the exposed rca connections once plugged in to prevent them from touching metal or coming off.

Now you take the USB power adaptor and find a switched 12v source for it. I have a Rubicon with the Tow Package so i just tap into my switched power source located near the front passenger kick panel. Run that up to behind your glove box to where you left the USB plug for the HDMI adaptor dangling, Plug that in. Hook your Firestick/Roku power cord up to the the other available USB port on your power adaptor. Clean up your wires tuck them in or however you want to make it clean and accessible.

Now power up your stereo and choose the DVD input under Media. Then go in to your Uconnect Apps menu and choose the Cargo Cam (you can also double tap the Mute button to get there, double tap for backup cam and double tap again to get Cargo cam)

You should now see your Firestick loading up, if not already at this point. For Wi-Fi, i set it up to use the Jeeps Hot Spot that i pay monthly for. You can use any hotspot option you have available and youll need to set that up in your Firestick menu.

If you dont have any Audio at this point, youll need to just go back to media and choose another source, then re-choose DVD/CD. Its seems to be a little finicky, you either have to choose the Audio input first before the Firestick wakes up, or choose it again after the firestick is fully booted.

You can not get rid of the Cargo cam icons yet. Until Zauto figures out how to enable to secondary Aux input you're stuck with the icons. The scaling isnt perfect on the screen but its definitely useable. The Firestick remote uses Bluetooth which is good so its doesnt matter that your Firestick is tucked up and away. The Roku i beleive uses IR so it needs to be in line of sight.

Im sure i missed something somewhere so ill try and answer questions as best i can if needed.

awarsaw88

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Wow!!! I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me as well as others out. This is outstanding! I will follow all of your instructions. Thanks again!!!

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
So there are a few things you will need to buy first to get started. You dont have to buy EXACTLY what i did for the HDMI adaptor or the USB power. Anything similar should work.

A/V Cables – Z Automotive

Amazon.com: NewBEP HDMI to RCA Cable, HDMI Male to 3RCA/AV Converter Adapter HDMI Signal to Analog AV CVBS - Supports PAL/NTSC for Fire TV,Chromecast. Roku,DVD,HDTV,PC,Laptop,Xbox,PS4 (NewBEP HDMI to RCA Cable): Electronics

Amazon.com: YONHAN 4.8A Motorcycle USB Charger SAE to USB Adapter with Voltmeter & ON/Off Switch, 3 Install Options Waterproof Quick Disconnect Plug for Smart Phone Tablet GPS

TazerJL - so you can enable to Cargo Cam feature and the DVD/CD input

OR

HDMI-AV Kit – Z Automotive

It all depends on how you want to power the HMDI adaptor and your Firestick/Roku which parts option you choose.

Take your TazerJL and enable to Cargo Cam function and the DVD/CD input on your radio (instructions are on Zautomotives website)

Next step is getting the Zautomotive wires installed (they have instructions on their website) This is pretty easy and shouldnt take much more than an hour.

I have my Firestick stored behind the glove box so its easy access in case i need to swap something out. I fed the HDMI adaptor to behind the stereo via a hole that leads from behind the stereo to the glove box and left the USB plug for the adaptor dangling accessible from the glovebox to plug in later while the RCA wires are hanging behind the stereo

Plug in the RCA cables from the HDMI adaptor to the zautomotive rca inputs. Youll be using the Aux 1 input cable from zautomotive kit. I recommend wrapping some electrical tape around the exposed rca connections once plugged in to prevent them from touching metal or coming off.

Now you take the USB power adaptor and find a switched 12v source for it. I have a Rubicon with the Tow Package so i just tap into my switched power source located near the front passenger kick panel. Run that up to behind your glove box to where you left the USB plug for the HDMI adaptor dangling, Plug that in. Hook your Firestick/Roku power cord up to the the other available USB port on your power adaptor. Clean up your wires tuck them in or however you want to make it clean and accessible.

Now power up your stereo and choose the DVD input under Media. Then go in to your Uconnect Apps menu and choose the Cargo Cam (you can also double tap the Mute button to get there, double tap for backup cam and double tap again to get Cargo cam)

You should now see your Firestick loading up, if not already at this point. For Wi-Fi, i set it up to use the Jeeps Hot Spot that i pay monthly for. You can use any hotspot option you have available and youll need to set that up in your Firestick menu.

If you dont have any Audio at this point, youll need to just go back to media and choose another source, then re-choose DVD/CD. Its seems to be a little finicky, you either have to choose the Audio input first before the Firestick wakes up, or choose it again after the firestick is fully booted.

You can not get rid of the Cargo cam icons yet. Until Zauto figures out how to enable to secondary Aux input you're stuck with the icons. The scaling isnt perfect on the screen but its definitely useable. The Firestick remote uses Bluetooth which is good so its doesnt matter that your Firestick is tucked up and away. The Roku i beleive uses IR so it needs to be in line of sight.

Im sure i missed something somewhere so ill try and answer questions as best i can if needed.
Amazing instructions... This will probably be one of the first "mods" I complete when I take delivery. Thanks!!!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Help me here, why would someone want to sit in their Jeep and watch movies. It looks like a lot of hassle, when you could just use 10 inch tablet and mount it to the dash, for a lot less hassle and a lot less money.

JPMcNown

First Name
John-Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Help me here, why would someone want to sit in their Jeep and watch movies. It looks like a lot of hassle, when you could just use 10 inch tablet and mount it to the dash, for a lot less hassle and a lot less money.
I'll probably never use it. For me, it's solely about enabling a function that should have enabled to begin with.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Not to mention a better screen and portable. ...and I already have a tablet.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
On the other hand, great entertainment for the driver at stop lights, and long stretches of highway. NOT.
Sponsored