First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Interesting. I think this would be a pain in the a$$ to install. I hate putting protective film on my phone, so can't imagine trying to do it to a Jeep window. Better hope your window is clean because it will show every speck or swirl, etc.. If it works that would be cool!

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
looking

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I put mine on a few months ago. Install wasn't too bad, but I would recommend a second pair of hands to help you.

I can't tell it's on from inside the jeep, it's really clear. It's only been a few months, so I can't really give you a review on longevity, but so far so good. I've had a few big rocks hit the windshield that I thought would have broken the windshield and didn't. We've got some busy freeways where I live, lots of rocks getting flung up.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I'm interested in this. I have a gorilla glass windshield and last winter I got several chips the size of a grain of sand, but none of them spread. Thankfully.

It would be nice to have some kind of outer shock absorbing layer.

My biggest concern about putting plastic over my windshield would be that the plastic gets scratched by the wipers.

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I have the Tear away RacingOptics on mine. Love it! My biggest concern when I first purchased was whether or not the wipers would affect the laminate...they do not! I'm on my second year of use and still have two tear offs to go...still clear. My commute is 57 miles a day in the early am (usually More trucks than cars)all highway which is the reason for the purchase. Cracked 2 windshields and the third replacement was when I applied it, there is really no other way to guarantee against getting an errant rock smack from nowhere, but at least you can can now protect against it. I swear by RacingOptics product and customer service.

Jst42ln

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Tide
I am fighting with the warranty company about my first cracked GG windshield , but when it is replaced I am definitely looking into them. How hard was the install?

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I am fighting with the warranty company about my first cracked GG windshield , but when it is replaced I am definitely looking into them. How hard was the install?
This is the fight I fear. A broken GG windshield and the ins company only wants to replace it with a standard windshield.

I only paid $99 for it. So no big deal. (amazing summer 2021 it was a $99 option). But if I had paid $499 for it, then I'd want it replaced.

Jst42ln

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Tide
It came on my High Tide, did want it. But if the say it has a 2 year warranty I am gunna try. If not safelite and an oem regular replacement, will not put GG back in if I have to pay for it. Never had a break like this in any car not even my YJ with 200k on it. And the original windshield. If 1 tiny sand grain spec caused it then that stuff is junk. I will be installing peal offs.

RubicoReza

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Funny enough I cracked my 2021 Rubicon windshield. I have the warranty protection plan through the dealership. They replaced the regular windshield with a Gorilla glass. Anyone else have this happen to them?

153ABF23-C87B-4DFF-8E87-061200E60B3A.jpeg

D652FB4F-841F-4036-9F7C-AC5E7898B9C9.jpeg

Sponsored

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Install wasn't hard at all, I just took my time and followed the steps exactly. They have an Install video on their site that I used:

https://www.grab-gard.com/pages/windshield-installation-process

I also looked into the racing optics kit, but the grab gard kit cost less and people online said that the clearplex film that they use lasts longer than the racing optics film, even with the three layers. Racing optics seemed to be geared more toward track use, while the clearplex film seems to be on a lot of daily driven porches, etc.

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
It came on my High Tide, did want it. But if the say it has a 2 year warranty I am gunna try. If not safelite and an oem regular replacement, will not put GG back in if I have to pay for it. Never had a break like this in any car not even my YJ with 200k on it. And the original windshield. If 1 tiny sand grain spec caused it then that stuff is junk. I will be installing peal offs.

I've been hearing mixed reviews about the GG windshields.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I have the Tear away RacingOptics on mine. Love it! My biggest concern when I first purchased was whether or not the wipers would affect the laminate...they do not! I'm on my second year of use and still have two tear offs to go...still clear. My commute is 57 miles a day in the early am (usually More trucks than cars)all highway which is the reason for the purchase. Cracked 2 windshields and the third replacement was when I applied it, there is really no other way to guarantee against getting an errant rock smack from nowhere, but at least you can can now protect against it. I swear by RacingOptics product and customer service.
I've got the R/O tear-off as well: due for another one this spring, but I guarantee you that if I didn't have it, I'd have gone through several windshields by now: there are several "dings" where I've taken severe rock impacts, yet the windshield itself is unmarred

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I've had this film installed for about 2 years. The install isn't bad. A 2nd pair of hands would help a lot though. The sheet of film is large and unwieldy. You just apply it with a spray bottle filled with water and a few drops of baby shampoo. I installed it myself and got some specs of dirt and hair underneath. That doesn't bother me though, they are nearly invisible. The film definitely helps with rock chips. I went through 3 windshields in the first couple years of owning my JL. With this film installed I haven't had to replace my windshield in 2 years. I've heard rocks hit the windshield that would have broken it. The film only last about 2 years. It's starting to dry out and get pitted. I'll be pealing it off soon. Still saved me some money and time not having to replace windshields as often. I'd buy it again.

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I've had this film installed for about 2 years. The install isn't bad. A 2nd pair of hands would help a lot though. The sheet of film is large and unwieldy. You just apply it with a spray bottle filled with water and a few drops of baby shampoo. I installed it myself and got some specs of dirt and hair underneath. That doesn't bother me though, they are nearly invisible. The film definitely helps with rock chips. I went through 3 windshields in the first couple years of owning my JL. With this film installed I haven't had to replace my windshield in 2 years. I've heard rocks hit the windshield that would have broken it. The film only last about 2 years. It's starting to dry out and get pitted. I'll be pealing it off soon. Still saved me some money and time not having to replace windshields as often. I'd buy it again.
2 years is pretty great, thats my goal. I've had mine on for the better half of a year now and it still look great, so I'm hoping it makes it as long as you've had. I figured my ROI was right around 6 months based on how often windshields break in my area, so its paying off at this point.
Sponsored