Sponsored

Tapping into rear 12v port power

JLJS74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4DR JL
FF4FCBDF-18E8-44F2-8743-3BA3844D4E7C.jpeg
I’m not great at electrical stuff and am trying to install a “VersaTable” from American Adventure Labs on my 2018 Rubicon JL. The table goes on the inside of the tailgate and has a light for the little table it creates. The light has a simple wire (one solid black ground, one positive black with a white stripe). I’m supposed to tie the light into the “rear 12v port power”. Not sure which that is in this pic, or anything to consider before “tying it in”. Help?
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Pull up the carpet, pop off the rear trim by the 12v outlet and you can steal power from there

OP
OP
JLJS74

JLJS74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4DR JL
FYI, The wiring picture you posted is the following:

Wiring.jpg
does that mean I can’t tap into one of those for 12v power?

issue is that the wiring for the VersaTable is between the table and the tailgate, so hoping to connect back there somehow

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
does that mean I can’t tap into one of those for 12v power?

issue is that the wiring for the VersaTable is between the table and the tailgate, so hoping to connect back there somehow
I doubt any of those are constant hot. If you did tap into one of them, your options would be to tap into the running lights, but then you'd only have your table light when your headlights are on or tap into the brake or reverse wire and then....well, you see where I'm going with it.

I think you're going to have to run a wire, but you might be able to run it along where the rear brake light/camera light wires run.

Sponsored

Aria51

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
FF4FCBDF-18E8-44F2-8743-3BA3844D4E7C.jpeg
I’m not great at electrical stuff and am trying to install a “VersaTable” from American Adventure Labs on my 2018 Rubicon JL. The table goes on the inside of the tailgate and has a light for the little table it creates. The light has a simple wire (one solid black ground, one positive black with a white stripe). I’m supposed to tie the light into the “rear 12v port power”. Not sure which that is in this pic, or anything to consider before “tying it in”. Help?
Were you able to get it installed? Thinking about ordering this one as well! How do you like it?

OP
OP
JLJS74

JLJS74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4DR JL
Not yet, but I haven’t tried yet either (COVID has me busy). Was going to take a look this week. Prior to looking at the wiring of the existing 12V cigarette lighter in the cargo area, I’m not sure I understand how to make the connection. American Adventure Lab sent me a couple of insulated butt connectors for when I tap into it, but without seeing the wiring, I’m having a hard time imagining how to make the connection (do I put the power to the VersaTable and the power of the cigarette lighter into the same butt connector end, and then splice the power of the cigarette lighter into the other end? What about the ground, just attach it to the frame of the Jeep?) . If I make progress, I will post an update. I can tell you that the VersaTable itself looks very nice in person and is going to be sharp. This really shouldn’t be difficult, but I’m not great at electrical wiring so that’s my current roadblock.

Aria51

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Not yet, but I haven’t tried yet either (COVID has me busy). Was going to take a look this week. Prior to looking at the wiring of the existing 12V cigarette lighter in the cargo area, I’m not sure I understand how to make the connection. American Adventure Lab sent me a couple of insulated butt connectors for when I tap into it, but without seeing the wiring, I’m having a hard time imagining how to make the connection (do I put the power to the VersaTable and the power of the cigarette lighter into the same butt connector end, and then splice the power of the cigarette lighter into the other end? What about the ground, just attach it to the frame of the Jeep?) . If I make progress, I will post an update. I can tell you that the VersaTable itself looks very nice in person and is going to be sharp. This really shouldn’t be difficult, but I’m not great at electrical wiring so that’s my current roadblock.
Same boat for me... I'm not too familiar with the electrical piece... but i can follow directions! I'm convinced and will be ordering one. How long was your lead time? Looking forward to your update as well. See ya!

OP
OP
JLJS74

JLJS74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4DR JL
Same boat for me... I'm not too familiar with the electrical piece... but i can follow directions! I'm convinced and will be ordering one. How long was your lead time? Looking forward to your update as well. See ya!
I just took a look at the 12v power source (cigarette lighter) in the cargo area. AAL has no instructional videos, and the paper instructions that come with the VersaTable are only helpful as it relates to attaching the table to your tailgate, not to connecting it to power. To me, as a tinkerer but not a qualified mechanic or wrencher, I can’t see how I could possibly do it. It looks like I’d have to take off the plastic side panels inside the cargo area (doesn’t look easy, actually), thread my wire through some tight spaces, splice and connect using a butt connector, etc. Not going to happen (unless I can see a video that’s detailed enough to follow-along), so I’m going to wait until I can bring it somewhere post COVID.

Last edited:

Aria51

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I just took a look at the 12v power source (cigarette lighter) in the cargo area. AAL has no instructional videos, and the paper instructions that come with the VersaTable are only helpful as it relates to attaching the table to your tailgate, not to connecting it to power. To me, as a tinkerer but not a qualified mechanic or wrencher, I can’t see how I could possibly do it. It looks like I’d have to take off the plastic side panels inside the cargo area (doesn’t look easy, actually), thread my wire through some tight spaces, splice and connect using a butt connector, etc. Not going to happen (unless I can see a video that’s detailed enough to follow-along), so I’m going to wait until I can bring it somewhere post COVID. ‍♂
They responded via emailing saying an instructional video is in the works... just not sure yet. I'll dig around the message boards as I'm sure there's other projects that would reference similar wiring.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLJS74

JLJS74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4DR JL
Definitely let me know if you find one, I wasn’t able to.

PSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XXXXXX 2020 JL Rubicon 3.6
They responded via emailing saying an instructional video is in the works... just not sure yet. I'll dig around the message boards as I'm sure there's other projects that would reference similar wiring.
I’m following thread for a solution. I am mounting a M.O.R.E. Frame with an ARB compressor. I need a hot line in that area to trigger the compressor to go on. Tapping to the rear 12 plug should work but the video will help.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think you may be looking in a different area. The 12V power adapter is on the Drivers side, and the harness is located directly above the rear tire.

Below is a picture of the harness location (Power Outlet D Pillar). Best guess, is you'd need to run your power from that area. I also believe the larger black circle represents a dedicated grounding post.

Screenshot_20200414-043447_Drive.jpg

Here's a video on how to remove the panels:

And this is how I tapped into the front 12V Outlet. I'd assume the rear 12V Outlet looks the same.

20180811_172814.jpg

The following schematic says the rear 12V Outlet in the D Pillar has a positive connection that's Pink/Dark Green.

Screenshot_20200414-050502_Drive.jpg

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:

Aria51

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I think you may be looking in a different area. The 12V power adapter is on the Drivers side, and the harness is located directly above the rear tire.

Below is a picture of the harness location (Power Outlet D Pillar). Best guess, is you'd need to run your power from that area. I also believe the larger black circle represents a dedicated grounding post.

Screenshot_20200414-043447_Drive.jpg

Here's a video on how to remove the panels:

And this is how I tapped into the front 12V Outlet. I'd assume the rear 12V Outlet looks the same.

20180811_172814.jpg

The following schematic says the rear 12V Outlet in the D Pillar has a positive connection that's Pink/Dark Green.

Screenshot_20200414-050502_Drive.jpg

Hope this is helpful!
Brilliant... THANK YOU!!! Now just gotta wait for the pre-order fulfillment and shipment!
Sponsored