Tall people vs. Jeep

Hubtech

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OB JKUR
i'm 6'6" 285 lbs... and it's my daily. much more kush than my TJ was. Not as comfortable as the wifes Yukon, but.... i'll take the trade off. i'm 8K miles into JL life. loving it
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gregodav

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
OP, is that view from eye level?

We actually sold a Civic and bought the JL because my son who will be getting his permit in a year was too tall to fit in the Civic. He is currently 6'6" and when I had him sit in the Jeep he could see around the mirror but would have to lean forward a bit to see an overhead traffic light.

We also have a 2012 Honda Pilot and he has plenty of room there currently.

His upper projection on height is 6'11" so we are not sure what he will end up driving.
Yes, I took the picture from my usual somewhat slouched eye-level position.
At work I have pretty good posture. However, driving cars I tend to lean back and slouch, because I have always had to.

OP
OP
Gregodav

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm 6'8" and understand the issues! But......It's the best Jeep I've ever owned.
I am with you in. It is the best Jeep. I just think Jeep needed a tall guy on the design team. The JK Jeeps must have had a tall designer in upper management way back when.
Mike Manley is 5'10" and the tall guys got the short end of the JL stick.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
OP, is that view from eye level?

We actually sold a Civic and bought the JL because my son who will be getting his permit in a year was too tall to fit in the Civic. He is currently 6'6" and when I had him sit in the Jeep he could see around the mirror but would have to lean forward a bit to see an overhead traffic light.

We also have a 2012 Honda Pilot and he has plenty of room there currently.

His upper projection on height is 6'11" so we are not sure what he will end up driving.
6'11" is time to graduate to the Ram 1500.

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
I am with you in. It is the best Jeep. I just think Jeep needed a tall guy on the design team. The JK Jeeps must have had a tall designer in upper management way back when.
Mike Manley is 5'10" and the tall guys got the short end of the JL stick.
Keep in mind the Germans had a (late) hand in the design of the JK, just as they did with the WK2. They tend to engineer and design with the larger sized folks in mind. I am on my second WK2. It will be interesting to see what kind of room will be in the redesign launching next year.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I too am 6'3" and have no major problems. However, I don't like the seat-lowering problem, (I have the seat as low as you can get it). I wish Jeep would create more lowering capacity, say a couple extra inches, they can afford to do that, it sits up so high. Also I cannot see the Temp and other info in the upper portion of the dash view. I'm too tall to comfortably see it. The Dash should be curved upward so tall people can see everything.

Lockheed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW X4
I dont have mine yet, but I'm thinking I need to figure out how to lower a little AND move the most aft seat position back 2 inches

OP
OP
Gregodav

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I dont have mine yet, but I'm thinking I need to figure out how to lower a little AND move the most aft seat position back 2 inches
That doesn't work for our household. My spouse is only 5'4" and she might have issues reaching the peddles and seeing over the steering wheel...

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Has no one here turned the mirror upside down?
I did on my 2018 before I left the lot and I'll do the same on my 2019.
I'm 6'2" and have done this with every other vehicle that i've owned

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
That doesn't work for our household. My spouse is only 5'4" and she might have issues reaching the peddles and seeing over the steering wheel...
Similar situation here...The JLU is my wifes car. I just ordered the Misch seat track extenders for the passenger seat to see exactly how much further they push the seat back from the most forward position!

Sponsored

dfosterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not yet
6'3" here with longer torso. The driver seat height in my jlus drove me crazy to the point where I took it to 2 machine shops who do auto seat work. They said the seat was a poor design for tall people and couldnt go any lower and couldnt make a bracket. I took it to a auto upholstery shop and had them cut out 1.5" of foam in seat cushion and replace with lower profile foam. It dropped the seat about 1" and was much better. Should've been like that from the factory as I hate the rear view mirror height not being adjustable and the roll bar being right behind my head.
@ChattVol, would you mind sharing about what that cost? Did you do it for both front seats or both? Any issues so far with feeling the bars under the foam?

VGxHC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU
Not too familiar with the ACC set up, but I highly recommend flipping the rear view mirror 180* if possible with that set up. 6'2 here and no issues.

RSteckhahn

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S; 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
Yes. Flip the mirror. Won’t fix things but will make it better.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
@ChattVol, would you mind sharing about what that cost? Did you do it for both front seats or both? Any issues so far with feeling the bars under the foam?
I paid $100 to a local mom and pop upholstery shop. The seat is a little firmer in the back, but not uncomfortable. Well worth the mod for me bc my head could've hit the rollbar if I was rear ended and it gave me better sightlines. I've driven in alot of vehicles and in the jl, I felt like I was staring at the top of the windshield...pretty bad for a new vehicle in my opinion
Sponsored