Sponsored

Tall people, big guys, you might want to reconsider the JL...

CherryOnTop

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I'm a big guy..6'3". I have really broad shoulders. My JK was fine. I could recline the seat slightly and was comfortable. My JL, is uncomfortable and difficult to put my head in the right position In the upright position, the instruments are cutoff and out of my view. If I recline my seat slightly, my head is against the rollbar. A little more and my head is clear, but if I get into an accident, I will suffer a severe head injury. It wasn't so in the JK. In the JL, the seat is raked forward so that the front of the seat is lower than the rear. This leaves my leg feeling tired because it's unsupported when its on the pedal. If I attempt to rest my leg against the console, the TC lever is right into my knee. This occasionally happend in the JK when I was in 4 low. In it's most upwards position, the steering wheel is barely a half inch from the top of my leg. Not so in the JK in it's middle position. In it's lowest and most rearward position, the JL seat is almost 2" higher than the JK seat. The JL seat on it's LOWEST setting is as high as the JK seat on it's HIGHEST setting. This also makes the seat belt uncomfortable. I never felt restrained or the need to take the JK seatbelt off. The JL seatbelt however digs into my collar bone with it set to it's highest position. If I attempt to lean even a slight amount forward, i reach its limit and am stopped. My JK I could reach over and pick something up on the passenger side floor without undoing it. It is the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever owned. The other night in stop and go traffic, I had to stop hard and fast and the brakes are awesome. The downside is that I n knocked myself out when my forehead struck the rollbar. Why did Jeep raise the seat so much?
You do realize the seat has a vertical adjustment lever? I keep mine on the lowest setting so I don't have to duck under the roll bar to get in / out - but raise it when wheeling to get best angle of view.
Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
6'1 and the JL fits me great. :) In fact I find it more comfortable than my JK was inside. xD

If they wanted to make it even more comfortable I'd say air conditioned seats, and allow us to lower the driver's seat a little more.

OP
OP
offcamber

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
You do realize the seat has a vertical adjustment lever? I keep mine on the lowest setting so I don't have to duck under the roll bar to get in / out - but raise it when wheeling to get best angle of view.
I have it on the lowest setting and at 6'3" my head still hits the soundbar/rollbar.

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
I figure it is all about your seating posture. After ATC, Bikes, Buggies, etc. I noticed I sit slightly forward which helps me not hit the speaker bar. At 6'7" if I were to sit straight up I would most likely hit the roof in most vehicles. Best would be a lower seat but you can make almost anything work if you sacrifice a little of this for that. Good luck and hopefully it works out for anyone wanting to make it work. Sad for the price but most cars and trucks are close to the same price these days and you make sacrifices for those as well

Sponsored

the_webers_inc

First Name
T. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd, 2011 Subaru Forester X Premium 5spd
At 6'3 and more padding than I should have, the seat is plenty high at its lowest height adjustment. My problem is I like to sit up straight when I drive a vehicle. This puts me in the sound bar or freedom panel. Had a friend drive my Jeep that hates seats set up that straight. He angled the seat back and pulled it forward a bit. When I got back in afterwords I found that I could just fit without hitting anything. I've left it there and am learning to live with a more reclined seat.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
There are few that are bigger than me. I fit just fine and have done 17 hour straight drive. At 6'4 and 365, I am a big man.

JL_Rubicon-Beast

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra AT4, Corvette Grand Sport
You tall guys need one of these for the JL. Nothing on the market I've been able to find for the JL yet.

J108301.jpeg
is that's the Smittybuilt roof there is a YouTube video out there that the Freedom panel type latches are very poor quality and the guy said he has replaced or sealed the leaky roof windows as many as 6 times. Said Smittybuilt has discontinue it as well and will no longer return his service issues. Just sayin.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer