Sponsored

Tall people, big guys, you might want to reconsider the JL...

stino

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
So guys, I dunno if Im completely crazy, but for some reason I feel like I have more room in my JL 2 door rubicon, than the JL 4 door rubicon I rented for 3 days. Somehow I fit underneath the speaker bar in the 2dr, where in the 4 door I had to adjust the headrest and seat to keep my head in front of it. Both are cloth, and the 4door was already broken in.

Can anyone confirm, or am I nuts?
Sponsored

Fly32

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Problem solved. I'm 6"4 and needed the seat to go back another inch or so. If you live in Southern California, Stan at Santa Monica Body Craft modified the stock brackets and re painted them to get me an addition 2 inches rearward. His phone number is (310) 450-5400. He had to plasma cut the welds and modified the brackets. See pictures. Looks totally stock. Unfortunately we were not able to meaningfully lower the seat but this fix is a huge improvement. I may still remove some foam from the bottom seat cushion. You can see in the photos the difference between the drivers seat and passenger seat. Passenger seat is all the way rear.

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
There are at least 5 different adjustments for "DRIVERS COMFORT"--I'm 6'3"+ and my 2dr RUBY is a pleasure to drive --

There's at least 2" clearance between my head and the speaker bar--

Ain't jeepin fun???

W.E.

JIMBO

Hammerton

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
6'2" & 220 - I have no problem with comfort. Top of the gauges are a little cutoff. My only beef with the sizing is that in my JK doors off I could comfortably rest my foot on the door hinge where a peg would traditionally go. New JL... no chance! Can barley think about getting my foot over there!

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara, 2005 Land Cruiser, 2008 4Runner Limited V6
At 6'5" I found the headroom to be really bad in the new JL compared to my 2015 JK. I really want the new gladiator so Ill have to see if someone makes a lowering bracket by the time it comes to market

Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 8.46.25 PM.png

Sponsored

Rubi JLU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the JL BigBoy Bracket last night. To give you some context on me, I am 6'5" and the JL has two issue. The seats are too high and do not move back far enough.

First the install.

The install went pretty smooth. I skipped the step of disconnecting the seat and pulling it out fully. I was able to tip the seat back and install the brackets without fully removing the seat.

The back driver side bracket had issues with the plastic side piece by the door. I could not find a way to get the seat bracket to go around the plastic piece. It now sits on top of that plastic piece as you can see in image 837 and 838.

Otherwise, the install went well.

A couple overall issues.

I have the All weather mats, now that I have this bracket it no longer fits. Not the fault of the manufacturer, just something a buyer might want to be aware of.

The other issue is it does raise the seat up and I can't fully utilize the seat going all the way back as my head hits the sports bar more then it did before. The seat was already too high and this just made it worse. I will need to figure a way to lower the seat as it is a big safety hazard.

I am sure those that don't sit as high as me and have long legs will appreciate the extra room. Until I can figure out how to lower the seat I am thinking about removing the brackets.

After.jpg

Before.jpg

Floor mats.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

johnnyp26

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubi Hard Rock
I installed the JL BigBoy Bracket last night. To give you some context on me, I am 6'5" and the JL has two issue. The seats are too high and do not move back far enough.

First the install.

The install went pretty smooth. I skipped the step of disconnecting the seat and pulling it out fully. I was able to tip the seat back and install the brackets without fully removing the seat.

The back driver side bracket had issues with the plastic side piece by the door. I could not find a way to get the seat bracket to go around the plastic piece. It now sits on top of that plastic piece as you can see in image 837 and 838.

Otherwise, the install went well.

A couple overall issues.

I have the All weather mats, now that I have this bracket it no longer fits. Not the fault of the manufacturer, just something a buyer might want to be aware of.

The other issue is it does raise the seat up and I can't fully utilize the seat going all the way back as my head hits the sports bar more then it did before. The seat was already too high and this just made it worse. I will need to figure a way to lower the seat as it is a big safety hazard.

I am sure those that don't sit as high as me and have long legs will appreciate the extra room. Until I can figure out how to lower the seat I am thinking about removing the brackets.

After.jpg

Before.jpg

Floor mats.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

I’ve read a few people have gone to an upholstery shop to remove about 1.5” from the base of the seat and it’s much better for them.

Rubi JLU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve read a few people have gone to an upholstery shop to remove about 1.5” from the base of the seat and it’s much better for them.
I saw that. That is my next stop as my comfort and satisfaction diminish greatly when I can't get comfortable in the Jeep.

tornis

First Name
Nikos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
29er bike
You guys be happy, I am 6'9", not only don't I fit because of the sports bar, I don't even fit width-wise, my shoulder/arm is pressed against the b pillar. It feels like a ride on toy car.....Waited long for the JL but will have to settle for something else. Had the a-b pillar distance been made 4-5" longer it would be ok, had the width been made 2" larger too it would be perfect....Would love to see a 2door unlimited. Enjoy your ride..

GrahamWelland

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, Silver + Freedom top
Vehicle Showcase
As not a particularly tall guy but with let’s say a ‘robust’ build :turkey: I definitely noticed the difference between the JKU and 2018 JLUR that I just picked up.

With the JK there was more room between me and the steering wheel when it was adjusted with seat all the way back and wheel fully forward/up. With the new JLUR I’m close to touching the steering wheel with the same adjustment of seat fully adjusted back and wheel forward/up. The other change was that I needed to add a short seat belt extender with the JL vs no extension required with the JK. The newer padded seats definitely had a negative effect in this respect vs the JK. I may look into the slight padding removal that folks have done here too depending upon whether the extendmyseat.com JL rail relocation kit that I ordered gives me the extra room that I’d like. I really only need about another inch of seat room which the new bracket should provide.

By comparison my Range Rover Sport feels positively spacious with absolutely no seat belt fit issues even with all the leather etc compared to the JL. That said, different horses for different courses.

Sponsored

Oversized

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For fusion
Vehicle Showcase
I just would like my seat to go lower by about 2” that’s all... Still waiting on a solve for that other than having my seats fabric shaved down.
Unfortunately I think getting the padding removed is the only option right now. I called prp seats and corbeau and they both told me their aftermarket seats sit at about factory height.

I was really hoping this would solve the problem but looks like I will be able to going the paddigp removal route until someone finds another solution. Like you said 2' lower and it would be perfect .

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I am 6'4" & 260 lbs. With the seat all the way back and down, I feel like it is almost the perfect driving position. Like others have said I wouldn't mind another inch or two of leg room for good measure. No sight line issues with the instruments or issues with clearance above my head with the roll bar. I'm one of those shorter legs/longer torso type people.

I saw someone on another thread ask "why would you by a vehicle if you have to put your seat all the way back and down?" :like: I politely didn't respond and assumed they were below 6' tall.
Same ...
6'3" 268

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately I think getting the padding removed is the only option right now. I called prp seats and corbeau and they both told me their aftermarket seats sit at about factory height.

I was really hoping this would solve the problem but looks like I will be able to going the paddigp removal route until someone finds another solution. Like you said 2' lower and it would be perfect .
I’m going to stick it out for another couple months but then I’m really going to be looking for a solution. I had some room but with visual issues but I added a Sunshade and have like 0 room now. So I have to either hunch over while driving or recline my seat (thug life style) which makes me stretch really far...

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I get surveys from FCA all the time on my experience with the JL so far. The section dealing with interior comfort/seating gets a "1" across the board.

I love the vehicle overall, but there are a couple of areas where they completely failed and it's obvious that when they designed the front seats they were using a child or woman as a model. :facepalm:
Sponsored