Sponsored

Tall people, big guys, you might want to reconsider the JL...

Jungle31

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 and 2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
I’m 6’3”, 325. I immediately felt like the JLU I test drove was too small. I’ve been driving a CJ-7 for 25 years and was shocked at how close the seat was to the dash and steering column. In fact, there is no steering column to speak of. The wheel looks like it’s bolted straight onto the dash. All in the name of keeping the total length down in a four door I suppose.

However, like all change, I started to get used to it during the test drive. I would definitely like an extra inch in the legs and an extra inch lower in the seat, but I didn’t come away thinking it would stop my from getting one.
Sponsored

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase

Bessie II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK
I signed up for the forums to follow this topic! I currently have a 2013 JKR which I love. I've been eyeballing JLs but my soul was crushed when I sat in one at the Philly auto show. Leg room felt great (good job Jeep), My head felt like it was much closer to the hard top and I couldn't recline because I would hit the back of my head on the sport bar (yes the seat was all the way down). I wonder what the odds are of Jeep revising this a little bit as a nod to us tall guys in the coming model years are?

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I signed up for the forums to follow this topic! I currently have a 2013 JKR which I love. I've been eyeballing JLs but my soul was crushed when I sat in one at the Philly auto show. Leg room felt great (good job Jeep), My head felt like it was much closer to the hard top and I couldn't recline because I would hit the back of my head on the sport bar (yes the seat was all the way down). I wonder what the odds are of Jeep revising this a little bit as a nod to us tall guys in the coming model years are?
I wouldn't hold your breath. Jeep put the seats where they are for the 99% of the "normal" population. I doubt they will change it for the tall "freaks" :)

Sponsored

Bessie II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK
I wouldn't hold your breath. Jeep put the seats where they are for the 99% of the "normal" population. I doubt they will change it for the tall "freaks" :)
I'm semi hopeful :) the JK got a little bit of a refresh mid model. Maybe the JL will! I also sent Misch 4x4 an email asking them to fix Jeeps "mistake". lol

Smooth9883

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU & 2018 WK2 Trailhawk
Could someone post some pics of the interior with the seat all the way back and down? Then of the brackets as well?

Smooth9883

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU & 2018 WK2 Trailhawk
So I just sat in a jlur. I’m surprised by the comments on here. I’m 6’7” 280 and I fit fine. Is it tight? Sure? My head can go against the headrest, my knees don’t touch the dash, and I fit shoulder wise. Yes my knees are close to the dash, my head is close to the surround bar, and seeing the top of the dash screen is slightly limited, but I’m tall and fat, I’m use to these conditions. I’m curious what vehicle everyone else is driving where they have so much more room? I will buy the aftermarket rails to gain another inch of legroom, but it’s still comfy.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I fit fine in my 2012 JK , 2010 Camaro SS, and 2017 VW Passat. My problem with the JL was that the driver's seat did not go low enough for me to get comfortable. The driver seat had a forward lean to it and there was no independent way to raise or lower the front of the seat separate from the rear. I didn't have a lot of time to play with it but I made sure the seat was all the way down several times.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
This thread is not even necessary. The JLs are all over the country. All people have to do is go sit in one.

BTW, I am 6’ 2” and have room left to spare.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bluegoose972

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Firecracker Red, 1966 Mustang Convertible (rebuilding)
I'm 6'2" and 290. At first, my shoulder was right up against the b pillar. But I kept adjusting and playing until I was happy and comfortable. Actually slid the seat forward a little and angled the seat back which helped. I'm happy

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
So I just sat in a jlur. I’m surprised by the comments on here. I’m 6’7” 280 and I fit fine. Is it tight? Sure? My head can go against the headrest, my knees don’t touch the dash, and I fit shoulder wise. Yes my knees are close to the dash, my head is close to the surround bar, and seeing the top of the dash screen is slightly limited, but I’m tall and fat, I’m use to these conditions. I’m curious what vehicle everyone else is driving where they have so much more room? I will buy the aftermarket rails to gain another inch of legroom, but it’s still comfy.
I am 6'7" as well I am only 195 lbs. I know if I am ever rear ended my head will strike the sports bar rather than the headrest.

By the way my last vehicle was a GMC Envoy. And I fit really well in my wife's Pontiac Solstice.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 6'2", I enjoy long walks on the beach, deep conversation, holding hands, romance novels, pruning the garden, skinny dipping and piggy-back rides....what were we talking about?
I am sorry this is the tall person's thread... 6'2" is slightly above average not tall. :)

Last edited: