Sponsored

Tall people, big guys, you might want to reconsider the JL...

roninsoldier83

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I finally got my Extendmyseat brackets yesterday and put them in last night. They sent me a tracking number the day I ordered them, but didn't actually ship them until about a week later (right after I sent them an inquiry).

Either way, they seem pretty solid and get the job done. They moved the seat back about 4 inches. Perfect for me, but now the little lady (she's about 5'4") has a tough time reaching the pedals, haha!

Notes:

-In order for these to fit, you need to trim a piece of the interior trim (on the bottom of the B-pillar). Wasn't very tough, I just took a hacksaw to it and it was chopped off in just a couple minutes. I know some people might not want to chop up their brand new JL, but my thought was that I can replace the plastic trim pretty easily if I ever change my mind or want to sell it. This is what I'm talking about:

zwO8njy.jpg

-It probably raises the seat around 1/4" or so. Not terribly noticeable. Honestly, I could touch my head against the soundbar before if I really tried... with the seat in a comfortable position, I'm sure I could bonk my head on the sound bar in the event of a crash. I've slammed my head (the very top rear of it) against it on purpose a couple times and it didn't bother me- the plastic seems pretty forgiving. YMMV. Do this at your own risk. Me? I've ridden motorcycles for years. I've raced small gutted cars (mostly Miata's) and for most of my professional career, I've worked jobs where getting shot was a hazard of the job... clearly my level of "zero f***s given" might be different than others. This will be your own comfort level. I don't notice it at all during normal driving, but it is something to consider if you head is thrown back violently I suppose.

-It absolutely does it's job! My legs are now much more comfortable and my knee pain while driving seems to have decreased.

-The rear seat all-weather floor mat doesn't exactly fit afterwards. Me? I don't give a damn, so I took a pair of tin snips and trimmed my rubber floor mats down in about 1 minute. Problem solved. It's not pretty, but it should work just fine.

-Total install time was probably about 45 minutes start to finish. Took me a minute to line everything up and get it tightened down; but once bolted down, it seems pretty damn secure. The pieces themselves seem pretty sturdy.

Photos for reference:

nQwsWjl.jpg

oDoFoUV.jpg

aSwnW0D.jpg

s6WpLxQ.jpg

Overall, I approve of this mod. I might cut some foam out of the driver's seat to lower it a tad, but I'm not sure if I'll bother. Either way, it provided all the leg room I'll ever need (and then some!).

Cheers!

Smooth9883

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU & 2018 WK2 Trailhawk
For those that have removed the foam, how is the seat comfort and how is the headroom?

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR StingGray
I finally got my Extendmyseat brackets yesterday and put them in last night. They sent me a tracking number the day I ordered them, but didn't actually ship them until about a week later (right after I sent them an inquiry).

Either way, they seem pretty solid and get the job done. They moved the seat back about 4 inches. Perfect for me, but now the little lady (she's about 5'4") has a tough time reaching the pedals, haha!

Notes:

-In order for these to fit, you need to trim a piece of the interior trim (on the bottom of the B-pillar). Wasn't very tough, I just took a hacksaw to it and it was chopped off in just a couple minutes. I know some people might not want to chop up their brand new JL, but my thought was that I can replace the plastic trim pretty easily if I ever change my mind or want to sell it. This is what I'm talking about:

zwO8njy.jpg

-It probably raises the seat around 1/4" or so. Not terribly noticeable. Honestly, I could touch my head against the soundbar before if I really tried... with the seat in a comfortable position, I'm sure I could bonk my head on the sound bar in the event of a crash. I've slammed my head (the very top rear of it) against it on purpose a couple times and it didn't bother me- the plastic seems pretty forgiving. YMMV. Do this at your own risk. Me? I've ridden motorcycles for years. I've raced small gutted cars (mostly Miata's) and for most of my professional career, I've worked jobs where getting shot was a hazard of the job... clearly my level of "zero f***s given" might be different than others. This will be your own comfort level. I don't notice it at all during normal driving, but it is something to consider if you head is thrown back violently I suppose.

-It absolutely does it's job! My legs are now much more comfortable and my knee pain while driving seems to have decreased.

-The rear seat all-weather floor mat doesn't exactly fit afterwards. Me? I don't give a damn, so I took a pair of tin snips and trimmed my rubber floor mats down in about 1 minute. Problem solved. It's not pretty, but it should work just fine.

-Total install time was probably about 45 minutes start to finish. Took me a minute to line everything up and get it tightened down; but once bolted down, it seems pretty damn secure. The pieces themselves seem pretty sturdy.

Photos for reference:

nQwsWjl.jpg

oDoFoUV.jpg

aSwnW0D.jpg

s6WpLxQ.jpg

Overall, I approve of this mod. I might cut some foam out of the driver's seat to lower it a tad, but I'm not sure if I'll bother. Either way, it provided all the leg room I'll ever need (and then some!).

Cheers!
Hmm, that may be my solution, I am 6'6" and I find my biggest gripe is that my right leg is always rubbing on the transfer case shifter.

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
I'm a big guy..6'3". I have really broad shoulders. My JK was fine. I could recline the seat slightly and was comfortable. My JL, is uncomfortable and difficult to put my head in the right position In the upright position, the instruments are cutoff and out of my view. If I recline my seat slightly, my head is against the rollbar. A little more and my head is clear, but if I get into an accident, I will suffer a severe head injury. It wasn't so in the JK. In the JL, the seat is raked forward so that the front of the seat is lower than the rear. This leaves my leg feeling tired because it's unsupported when its on the pedal. If I attempt to rest my leg against the console, the TC lever is right into my knee. This occasionally happend in the JK when I was in 4 low. In it's most upwards position, the steering wheel is barely a half inch from the top of my leg. Not so in the JK in it's middle position. In it's lowest and most rearward position, the JL seat is almost 2" higher than the JK seat. The JL seat on it's LOWEST setting is as high as the JK seat on it's HIGHEST setting. This also makes the seat belt uncomfortable. I never felt restrained or the need to take the JK seatbelt off. The JL seatbelt however digs into my collar bone with it set to it's highest position. If I attempt to lean even a slight amount forward, i reach its limit and am stopped. My JK I could reach over and pick something up on the passenger side floor without undoing it. It is the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever owned. The other night in stop and go traffic, I had to stop hard and fast and the brakes are awesome. The downside is that I nearly knocked myself out when my forehead struck the rollbar. Why did Jeep raise the seat so much?
Gosh that's a shame your having that trouble. I'm 6'3 and 260 lbs and I don't have any problem or hit my head at all. I'm super comfortable.
I have a manual seat. Perhaps yours is electric and may require more space elevating the seat?

Sponsored

Oversized

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For fusion
Vehicle Showcase
For those that have removed the foam, how is the seat comfort and how is the headroom?
The comfort is fine. I just did a 10 day road trip with it and felt comfortable. If I had to go back again though I probably wouldn't do it. The inch or so it gave me still wasn't really enough it helped a little but until I can get a lower seat about 3-4 inches I just have to live with being close to the sound bar.

Woody7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited JL
6'6" here with the same issue. The only way I can fit is to have the seat almost completely vertical, which is not comfortable. Also my knees hit the dash unless I'm sitting totally upright.

I know there's no room in the front of the seat but has anyone tried dropping just the rear brackets? I'm curious if the rearward rake on the seat would still be comfortable enough while lowering enough to clear for the guys (like me) who need just another inch or two to clear under the speaker bar.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
I was wondering that the other day. I'm only 6 feet tall and fit fine, but was wondering how anyone taller fits in this thing...

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
I'm 6'8" and 400#. My head hits the roll bar side and back. My leg hits the transfer case shifter. My left leg hit the window crank. I can't see the top part of the dash. I cannot see stop lights when wakting for one. I have trouble seeing cross traffic without bending my head down.

But it's a Jeep and I love the dang thing....best I've ever owned.

So I reclocked the window crank. I ignore the transfer case shifter. Who needs to see the upper part of the dash? I am extra careful to bend my neck to check traffic and stop lights. I have roll bar padding for the bars.

Does that make it safe....? Not perfectly safe, but better and worth the risk for me. I used to ride motorcycles and did some stupid stuff once in a while. I feel my chances are much better in the Jeep and I really have zero interest in sitting in my recliner for the rest of my life in the interest of "safety."

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I'm 6'8" and 400#. My head hits the roll bar side and back. My leg hits the transfer case shifter. My left leg hit the window crank. I can't see the top part of the dash. I cannot see stop lights when wakting for one. I have trouble seeing cross traffic without bending my head down.

So I reclocked the window crank. I ignore the transfer case shifter. Who needs to see the upper part of the dash? I am extra careful to bend my neck to check traffic and stop lights. I have roll bar padding for the bars.

Does that make it safe....? Not perfectly safe, but better and worth the risk for me. I used to ride motorcycles and did some stupid stuff once in a while. I feel my chances are much better in the Jeep and I really have zero interest in sitting in my recliner for the rest of my life in the interest of "safety."
I feel you pain. Literally. I am 6'7".
I am not worried about my safety. I know my head is going to strike the sound bar and it will be over for me.
I am really worried about the blind spot created by the rear view mirror. Some tall person will run into a car or motorcycle because the mirror blocks too much view.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I feel you pain. Literally. I am 6'7".
I am not worried about my safety. I know my head is going to strike the sound bar and it will be over for me.
I am really worried about the blind spot created by the rear view mirror. Some tall person will run into a car or motorcycle because the mirror blocks too much view.
Had same issue with mirror...I grabbed the mirror and flipped it over and it raised 2"...Highly recommend it

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You tall guys need one of these for the JL. Nothing on the market I've been able to find for the JL yet.

J108301.jpeg

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
To me, the JL seats have less foam and are more flat and hard than the JK seats. So I can't imagine actually taking what little foam is there and trimming it away on purpose.

Also, after you push the front seat back with that kit, doesn't that make your arms uncomfortable? The steering wheel doesn't telescope very far at all.

Woody7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited JL

Makes me look like a little sissy at 6'6" whining about fitting into my Jeep!

What did you use for padding on the roll bar? That might be a good fix for me too...
Sponsored