Talking on the phone with the top down

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
So the weather has been pretty nice lately in North Carolina, sunny and a high of 90 every day. Because of this I've been keeping the top and doors off my JL. The only problem is I regularly need to have work related phone calls while I commute... Which is entirely on the interstate.

It's been impossible to have those calls over the sound system, and today I tried my Bluetooth ear buds and that didn't work either. Does anybody have any recommendations or am I just going to have to put the roof and doors back on?
Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I've worn Bose noise-cancelling headphones in loud vehicles, but I'm not sure if the microphones would cope with direct wind... it's also potentially illegal in some states.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OceanBlues

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I've worn Bose noise-cancelling headphones in loud vehicles, but I'm not sure if the microphones would cope with direct wind... it's also potentially illegal in some states.
Good point about the law. I'd think the single ear piece headsets would be legal?

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Good point about the law. I'd think the single ear piece headsets would be legal?
I've never heard of a single ear headset being illegal, but some states don't let you wear music-style headphones while driving (like the Bose noise cancellers). There are a few single-ear Bluetooth headsets out there for especially noisy environments.. Maybe one of those and a single earplug in the other ear? Is the problem that you can't hear them or they can't hear you over the road/wind noise)?

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I have taken a few calls with the top and doors off going 65mph and I could hear them and they could hear me just fine. It was in Android Auto if that makes any difference at all. The microphones in the Jeep have active noise cancelling for wind noise similar to headsets in a motorcycle helmet (like a sena).

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I got some Beats earbuds for exactly this reason. The earpiece actually goes into your ear so you can hear pretty well and no complaints from the other side.

Sponsored

OhReally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hellayella JLUS, Honda Odyssey
I second the beats earbuds. Not perfect but doable.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
No doors or top and I’ve had plenty of successful calls at highway speed. I just have to lean in a bit. I’ve also done a few on AirPods as a passenger in my buddy’s Jeep with the same lack of doors or top.

Although my calls were certainly not busy conference calls - I would probably pull over or roll with doors and top on for those situations.

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
I'm pleased to report I've solved this problem. You need the Blue Parrot trucker headset. It sits on one ear, with a boom mic. At highway speeds the person you're talking to will hear some whirring in the background but will hear you clearly.

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure if you have a sunshade, but since installing mine, it's wild how much quieter it is with the top off. Maybe worth looking at. Not going to get rid of all noise on your mic or anything, but you can at least hear and handle your business.
Sponsored