TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
False. Enforcement of window tint is NOT a secondary violation like the seatbelt law here in PA. It is a primary vehicle code violation and you can be stopped and could be cited for that alone. Google PA Vehicle code section 4524 subsection (e). They can also cite you under section 4107 and referencing the PA inspection manual using the chart for window tinting and using a tint meter.

At the end of the day if your front tint matches your rear factory tint level you should be okay.

If you do tint and end up getting a ticket, just take a hearing and before your hearing swing by that cops dept and take pictures of all the cars parked in the lot with tint AND FOP tags and take them to court with you. - Worked pretty well for my neighbor...
Your PA Vehicle Code reference doesn't support your claim. My information came directly from the State Police. And I will second the rest of what you said - most State Troopers have tint on their own cars and their cruisers for their own safety. The idea behind the prohibition of tint in PA is for the safety of law enforcement...so in that spirit, when you get pulled over, just put all your windows down and communicate clearly with the officer. This is part of the reason why they don't just pull you over for tint alone...it's not a safety issue until the officer is approaching your vehicle.
Sponsored

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
False. Enforcement of window tint is NOT a secondary violation like the seatbelt law here in PA. It is a primary vehicle code violation and you can be stopped and could be cited for that alone. Google PA Vehicle code section 4524 subsection (e). They can also cite you under section 4107 and referencing the PA inspection manual using the chart for window tinting and using a tint meter.

At the end of the day if your front tint matches your rear factory tint level you should be okay.

If you do tint and end up getting a ticket, just take a hearing and before your hearing swing by that cops dept and take pictures of all the cars parked in the lot with tint AND FOP tags and take them to court with you. - Worked pretty well for my neighbor...
Whats FOP?

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Whats FOP?
Fraternal Order of Police. What he means is that most officers have "illegal" tint on their personal vehicles. Point that out and you really let all the steam out of any legal case against tint.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Your PA Vehicle Code reference doesn't support your claim. My information came directly from the State Police. And I will second the rest of what you said - most State Troopers have tint on their own cars and their cruisers for their own safety. The idea behind the prohibition of tint in PA is for the safety of law enforcement...so in that spirit, when you get pulled over, just put all your windows down and communicate clearly with the officer. This is part of the reason why they don't just pull you over for tint alone...it's not a safety issue until the officer is approaching your vehicle. Look up section 4581, read down to the penalty section and you will see what I am talking about.
It absolutely does. In Pennsylvania, if the vehicle code offense is a secondary offense like seat belts, the vehicle code spells It out within the section. If it does not, like the section I shared, then the offense is a primary offense. I think that Trooper(s) that gave that incorrect advice was too busy shoveling horseshit from the PSP horses during his academy days when he should have been studying then laws instead.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
It absolutely does. In Pennsylvania, if the vehicle code offense is a secondary offense like seat belts, the vehicle code spells It out within the section. If it does not, like the section I shared, then the offense is a primary offense. I think that Trooper(s) that gave that incorrect advice was too busy shoveling horseshit from the PSP horses during his academy days when he should have been studying then laws instead.
Thanks for that information, but i'm going to trust what a PSP Troop commander tells me over what some guy on the internet claims. After all, as i'm sure you would agree, what matters is what the PSP enforces, much moreso than what the print says.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

It is usually just a "fix it ticket" You can remove the tint yourself fairly easily if you end up getting in trouble. I am in Philly all the time for work and see people driving around with limo tint on shitty old cars that should not even be on the road. I doubt you will get pulled over just for tint. Too much else going on right now. I tinted mine 20% all the way around, putting tint over the factor tint as well. The factory tint does not seem like 20% as someone else stated, it also does not do much for heat reduction. The ceramic tint made a difference in heat and appearance. 20% is illegal here in Denver as well. We have 7 vehicles all with 20% tint on them and a couple even darker. I have three teenage daughters that drive and I am sure they are not always perfect drivers and they have not gotten a ticket yet for tint. I like the darker tint for them because it is harder for people to see that a young female is driving the vehicle at night.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that information, but i'm going to trust what a PSP Troop commander tells me over what some guy on the internet claims. After all, as i'm sure you would agree, what matters is what the PSP enforces, much moreso than what the print says.
That dog just don't wanna hunt.

FYI... Guys on forums like this are actually just some guys on the internet asking questions for some other guy on the internet to provide an answer.

But for the OP, if he tints up his ride, he can be fined. So says the vehicle code.

Some guy on the internet simply pointed it out to you, and more importantly to the OP so he doesn't get bad advice or worse...a fine. That same guy on the internet gave you the section numbers so you could look it up yourself. But hey, in your world, that was probably hacked by some other guy on the internet - probably the same other guy that hacks election machines.

When that city, borough or township cop or road Trooper pulls you over be sure to drop that Trooper's, I mean Station Commander's name and see how far that goes...

As for me...I know who i am! I'm some guy on the internet, playing some guy on the internet disguised as some other guy on the internet . You don't know what guy on the internet you are!

Last edited:

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
That dog just don't wanna hunt.

FYI... Guys on forums like this are actually just some guys on the internet asking questions for some other guy on the internet to provide an answer.

But for the OP, if he tints up his ride, he can be fined. So says the vehicle code.

Some guy on the internet simply pointed it out to you, and more importantly to the OP so he doesn't get bad advice or worse...a fine. That same guy on the internet gave you the section numbers so you could look it up yourself. But hey, in your world, that was probably hacked by some other guy on the internet - probably the same other guy that hacks election machines.

When that city, borough or township cop or road Trooper pulls you over be sure to drop that Trooper's, I mean Station Commander's name and see how far that goes...
Cockiness doesn't make you sound any more believable. Again, you haven't supported what you've claimed, and I know from experience what the rules are and how they get enforced. True, in the end we're both just guys on a forum, so readers will choose who they believe...but cockiness and political references are not going to make you look very credible.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cockiness doesn't make you sound any more believable. Again, you haven't supported what you've claimed, and I know from experience what the rules are and how they get enforced. True, in the end we're both just guys on a forum, so readers will choose who they believe...but cockiness and political references are not going to make you look very credible.
The information is out there, you just have to let it in.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
Your PA Vehicle Code reference doesn't support your claim.
I don't live in PA, but didn't he just quote PA vehicle law? If so, I would think quoting the actual state statute would certainly support his claim!
What he means is that most officers have "illegal" tint on their personal vehicles. Point that out and you really let all the steam out of any legal case against tint.
What? How does THAT work in court, exactly?
Thanks for that information, but i'm going to trust what a PSP Troop commander tells me over what some guy on the internet claims.
The printed law should be the ultimate rule. What is enforced or not enforced is up to each individual officer's leniency, the requests upon law enforcement from the local prosecutors, and/or each department's enforcement habits.

I am just a guy on the internet forum, too, but I have been a MO state trooper for 24 years. I also stayed at Holiday Inn last night...

I fully intend to tint the left and right windows on my Jeep, and I'll be doing 35%...in compliance with my state law.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
I don't live in PA, but didn't he just quote PA vehicle law? If so, I would think quoting the actual state statute would certainly support his claim!
Did you read the quoted text? It doesn't say what he claims it says. I already know the law, and the text he quoted says exactly what I already knew it said...but it says nothing about whether or not a cop can or will pull you over for tint.

I mean, you can easily throw in a citation that supposedly supports any claim you want. But you should probably make sure that it actually DOES support your claim.

What? How does THAT work in court, exactly?
It works exactly as Mule says it works...you snap pics of a PSP Troop parking lot full of tinted cars, and submit it as evidence. That was his idea, not mine...and I have to admit, it's a good one.

The printed law should be the ultimate rule. What is enforced or not enforced is up to each individual officer's leniency, the requests upon law enforcement from the local prosecutors, and/or each department's enforcement habits.
Agreed.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
It works exactly as Mule says it works...you snap pics of a PSP Troop parking lot full of tinted cars, and submit it as evidence. That was his idea, not mine...and I have to admit, it's a good one.
Worthless. You have no proof who those cars belong to, and unless you can prove one of them belongs to the officer that wrote the ticket, it is completely irrelevant. Also, I believe you mentioned 35% tint is legal in PA? Can you prove any of those cars are in excess of the legal tint? Even if you could, I still don't see any court finding it relevant. You may be able to smear the testifying officer a bit, but I don't see it getting a defendant off.

I am fully aware all of this debate is over a non-moving window tint violation and would never be tried in court to this level, but arguments have been made in this thread that I just don't see holding any water if it were.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Worthless. You have no proof who those cars belong to, and unless you can prove one of them belongs to the officer that wrote the ticket, it is completely irrelevant.
Don't argue with me about this, it wasn't my idea. I've never tried it and i'll never need to.

Also, I believe you mentioned 35% tint is legal in PA?
No, I didn't.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

"It works exactly as Mule says it works...you snap pics of a PSP Troop parking lot full of tinted cars, and submit it as evidence. That was his idea, not mine...and I have to admit, it's a good one."

I HIGHLY doubt that would work! The same theory would be taking a picture of a police officer off duty speeding to get out of a speeding ticket...

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Looking to tint all the windows on my hard top Jeep. I'm located in PA. What is a normal price for something like this? Also what percentage tint do most people go with?
I live in Vegas which is super hot and sunny so I got ceramic tinting all the way around except for the windshield. I kept within the state legal tinting laws for CA since I often travel there. We don't have to keep a front license plate either in NV so I expect I could draw attention from CA police so just trying to minimize how many things about my car that might piss them off.

If you want to keep your car cool, the ceramic tint does a really nice job. Even when I turn my car off and run errands for 30 minutes while the car sits in 115 degree heat and sunlight, it's still relatively cool when I get back to it.

The cost was $500 though so not sure if you'd want to throw down for that given that PA doesn't have the heat challenges of Vegas.
Sponsored