talk to me about tinting

mbar1156

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Looking to tint all the windows on my hard top Jeep. I'm located in PA. What is a normal price for something like this? Also what percentage tint do most people go with?
Sponsored

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Tint laws vary from state to state. In Georgia legal is 35%, check with your local shops and they will tell what is the legal limit is for your state.

Some shops will tint whatever percent you want, but keep in mind you will be liable for any legal issues you run into.

Also tint prices have a pretty wide gap. Here a JLU hardtop would run $200-$300 for entry level dyed film and can easily get into the $500-$700 range for higher end ceramic film. Still a regional thing and your prices may vary.

Personally, you should find a shop that has good reviews, can answer your questions in a plain no BS manner, and will stand behind their work.

I'm planning on having my car done with a middle of the road ceramic film (either Huper Optik Black Ceramic or Llumar CTX) and found a couple of shops that I like. just waiting on an appointment as its busy season for tint right now.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

$90 - $150 here just for the front driver and passenger windows. I don't bother with the other windows since they are already tinted glass from the factory. I ask to match the percentage of the factory tint on the rear and hardtop windows.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I am originally from PA. I remember them having somewhat restrictive tinting laws for the percentage based on window location.

That being said many shops will not go darker than what’s legally allowed.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
$90 - $150 here just for the front driver and passenger windows. I don't bother with the other windows since they are already tinted glass from the factory. I ask to match the percentage of the factory tint on the rear and hardtop windows.
I usually do all windows just for the heat rejection, it made a huge difference in my truck. I think ill only do the front 2 and windshield when I get my JL though

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
You already have 20% tint on all your windows except the windshield and front driver/passenger windows...those are 72%. If you get 30% film on your front driver/passenger windows it will be a pretty good match for your back windows. That should run you $80-100. It also is illegal, but tint is not a moving violation in PA, they won't pull you over for it. They just tack it on if you are pulled over for something else. To help avoid that, make sure you roll down all your windows and have your hands up on the wheel as the officer approaches, since that's the reason for the tint laws to begin with. If you do that, most cops won't hassle you about it, after all every cop I know has dark tint on their own cars for their own safety.

Also while ceramic tint is all the rage these days, it's largely a status thing. In function it's marginally better than metallized tint, but WAY more expensive. It also has a mirror effect that can be really annoying (it is to me). To me it's not worth the money, but you may find that you like it.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

You already have 20% tint on all your windows except the windshield and front driver/passenger windows...those are 72%. If you get 30% film on your front driver/passenger windows it will be a pretty good match for your back windows. That should run you $80-100. It also is illegal, but tint is not a moving violation in PA, they won't pull you over for it. They just tack it on if you are pulled over for something else. To help avoid that, make sure you roll down all your windows and have your hands up on the wheel as the officer approaches, since that's the reason for the tint laws to begin with. If you do that, most cops won't hassle you about it, after all every cop I know has dark tint on their own cars for their own safety.

Also while ceramic tint is all the rage these days, it's largely a status thing. In function it's marginally better than metallized tint, but WAY more expensive. It also has a mirror effect that can be really annoying (it is to me). To me it's not worth the money, but you may find that you like it.
i had ceramic tinting done on my company car that wasnt allowed to have tinted lol. i got super light ceramic tint so it wouldnt be noticeable. it definitely helped a lot with keeping the car cooler in the super hot summer days here. that's what i got on my jeep as well. did the front windshield and doors with it. very light but definitely helps with keeping the jeep cooler (as opposed to nothing before it).

oddly enough, i ended up doing too dark of a tint on my wifes commuter car. she's been pulled over a few times for it. she's LE so they just giver her a high 5 and send her on her way but its funny because ive had limo tint on a few rides and only got a window tint ticket once, on a black truck (with tinted windshield).

Packard

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my JLU. I don't necessarily want the darker color as I do the heat reduction coming through the window. I put the ceramic on my F350 and couldn't believe how much more comfortable it made while driving. My arm and leg wasn't burning from the sun shining through. I talked to the local tint shop and he told me to do the front 2 windows in just regular tint it would be around $100 but if I wanted carbon ceramic it would double. I'm thinking that I going for the ceramic again.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
The wrangler "tinted" glass is just "privacy" glass, zero UV blockage, if you want any kind of UV blockage you gotta do all of them.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
I got the all the windows done here in jersey except the front with ceramic for 400. They did a great job and it doesn't heat up near as fast

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
i had ceramic tinting done on my company car that wasnt allowed to have tinted lol. i got super light ceramic tint so it wouldnt be noticeable. it definitely helped a lot with keeping the car cooler in the super hot summer days here. that's what i got on my jeep as well. did the front windshield and doors with it. very light but definitely helps with keeping the jeep cooler (as opposed to nothing before it).
Sure but you can do the same with metallized and carbon tint films too. You just get like 10% more heat rejection from Ceramic (for nearly double the price).

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Sure but you can do the same with metallized and carbon tint films too. You just get like 10% more heat rejection from Ceramic (for nearly double the price).
oh, i dont know. i havent even heard of those options. my tint guy has regular and ceramic. he has a tint shop set up in his back yard. i paid like $150 iirc, for front windshield and all four doors.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
oh, i dont know. i havent even heard of those options. my tint guy has regular and ceramic. he has a tint shop set up in his back yard. i paid like $150 iirc, for front windshield and all four doors.
For ceramic?! That's an incredible deal!!

Best price I can find around here for a four door is $440. Same shops do carbon/metallized for $240.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

For ceramic?! That's an incredible deal!!

Best price I can find around here for a four door is $440. Same shops do carbon/metallized for $240.
yep. yeah ive seen shops quote like $500 for an average car. no way id pay that much lol. thats why i need to get my other vehicles done before we move lol. three more vehicles to do.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys

False. Enforcement of window tint is NOT a secondary violation like the seatbelt law here in PA. It is a primary vehicle code violation and you can be stopped and could be cited for that alone. Google PA Vehicle code section 4524 subsection (e). They can also cite you under section 4107 and referencing the PA inspection manual using the chart for window tinting and using a tint meter.

At the end of the day if your front tint matches your rear factory tint level you should be okay.

If you do tint and end up getting a ticket, just take a hearing and before your hearing swing by that cops dept and take pictures of all the cars parked in the lot with tint AND FOP tags and take them to court with you. - Worked pretty well for my neighbor...
Sponsored