First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3, Wrangler Rubicon TJ
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
I currently have a 2-door TJ Rubicon, 2006.

51662727664_284e1cbd62_h.jpg

Bought it in Texas about 3.5 years ago and drove it back to Ohio during Spring Break with my brother (I worked at a college library at the time, hence the Spring Break reference).

Back in June 2020, I got a job in Wyoming with the Forest Service. Chose to bring the Jeep instead of the M3 and I'm VERY glad I did.

I've wanted to do some trails and the like, especially with Colorado in a couple-hours drive from me, but this being my DD, I didn't want to risk breaking something expensive, though one of the reasons I bought it was because it would be cheaper to repair than my M3 and better to drive during the winter.

I LOVE this Jeep, but it is 15 years old and almost 140k on the clock. It doesn't get very good gas mileage, and I sometimes have to commute 100mi to work. That's about 1/4 of a tank for a round-trip. Gets expensive - thankfully we do a lot of telework at the moment. My M3 is an 05.

I'm torn on if I want to look at getting a JL in the next year or two and sell this or keep it. I'd have 3 vehicles, though the M3 is still back in Ohio (but hoping to rectify that come spring). I could then use the TJ as the trail crawler and the JL as my winter DD and the M3 as my summer DD.

I'd love to hear from you folks about what you like and dislike about the JLs, specifically 2-doors (single, no kids, and a cat) and Rubicons. Reliability, service, known issues, what it's like to DD, things you didn't expect to love/hate about it, etc.

Appreciate your input! :)
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
8 speed automatic transmission. That's the largest QoL improvement you can make. Even a base model JLR will be leaps and bounds above a TJ in terms of quality, but they don't quite have that same fun feel.

OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
8 speed automatic transmission. That's the largest QoL improvement you can make. Even a base model JLR will be leaps and bounds above a TJ in terms of quality, but they don't quite have that same fun feel.
Yeah, the 4-speed is pretty brutal on the interstate here. Have to get the heater core replaced soon too.

OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
I was looking at Unlimiteds until I drove a JL. Get a JLR and you might even sell the M3.
I'm doubting that one. 6sp manual I6. That car is my obtainable dream car.

29414069215_0bc093df6f_h.jpg

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I never had a TJ, but I did have 2 YJs and still miss them. I’ve had 2 and 4 door JKs and JLs and agree that if it’s your daily, any JL will be much better for those long trips and QoL.

But, as the other commenter mentioned, there’s something non-tangible lost with the JLs, even compared to the JKs. They’re nice, but definitely lack just a bit of that fun factor if you’re used to older jeeps. A well maintained CJ, YJ or TJ still turns my head quicker than the best built JL.

If there’s anyway to keep your TJ, I’d go that route. But that’s just me.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I would keep the good old TJ myself. JL is great to me ride wise much better for the road just more comfortable and easy going. However like Mwilk said the fun factor is something you get in the TJ that is missing, maybe for me it is just the fact that I can drive a TJ harder and not have that $ sign in my head when bushes are bashing the side! Plus they are just classic :)

OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
I would keep the good old TJ myself. JL is great to me ride wise much better for the road just more comfortable and easy going. However like Mwilk said the fun factor is something you get in the TJ that is missing, maybe for me it is just the fact that I can drive a TJ harder and not have that $ sign in my head when bushes are bashing the side! Plus they are just classic :)
The main factor for keeping it is because it'll be paid off and, cheaper to fix and a LOT less mental anguish if something breaks on a trail. But parts are getting harder to come by. That heater core, for instance, is impossible to find in stores. Even the one on performance radiators or whatever is out of stock.

But man, 3 vehicles and two Jeeps? That's a lot to insure.

Deleted member 59498

The main factor for keeping it is because it'll be paid off and, cheaper to fix and a LOT less mental anguish if something breaks on a trail. But parts are getting harder to come by. That heater core, for instance, is impossible to find in stores. Even the one on performance radiators or whatever is out of stock.

Yeah I think I get a pretty good discount for multi cars with Geico, can't drive them all at the same time but don't know a lot on how they charge. But anyway yeah lot less mental anguish off road! Being paid for is always nice also.

I was afraid parts for the older jeeps would start to dry up also unfortunately. But maybe more about where we live just not a huge market in Wyoming and Alaska! More people in most midwest cities than both our states!

But either way looks like a nice Rubi probably get a good price for it.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
  • 2 door JL sport will give much better gas mileage on the highway than a TJ. Probably in the mid 20's.
  • It will be quieter.
  • It will have better technology.
  • It will be a much more comfortable ride.
  • It will be likely more capable than your TJ in stock form.

Only con is that, well, it's a new car payment -- so that likely eats up your fuel savings. But you'll save some on repairs more than likely for quite a while.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Enough said. I have regrets. Someone is enjoying mine. No comparison. The TJ isn’t in the same arena. If you drive one you’ll have another payment.

981A1806-1ADE-4B49-8AEC-E060A83F038B.jpeg

Sponsored

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Mmmmm. I had an 04 TJ. Now I have a 21 JLR. I would NOT go back and I do NOT miss the TJ.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe

Not too bad to insure 3 vehicles if you're the primary on all 3. Most of the expense is around liability coverage and they know you're not going to drive all 3 at once.

I have a '75 CJ being converted to a mud buggy, a '98 TJ which was a DD until this year, an '83 CJ project and a '21 JLUR 4xe. Keep all of them you can. You will regret selling the TJ even though the JL is world's above in terms of comfort and capabilities. Spend a Summer with the top down on the JL and you'll get rid of the Bimmer.

OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
I wish they had a similar blue to the TJ I have for the JL.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I can go 75-80mph on the highway in my stock 3.6L 2019 JLR, without many issues. My mpg drops to about 16-17mpg (maybe 18) and my range on a full tank is rarely above 300 miles, but I am guessing that is better than a TJ.

That being said, I would try and hold onto the TJ also if you can, but its your money and your budget, and having a winter daily driver, a summer daily driver, and a fun car sounds like it could be a hassle.
Sponsored