Sponsored

Talk to me about 2-door JL Rubicons - QoL benefits from TJs

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Ouch! When I originally started shopping, I don't think the 4.88 gears were available with the 2-door (or maybe not in combination with my selected specs). Checked the ordering guides and online configurator a million times, but never saw it as an option until long after I placed the order. Iirc, it was only an $800 upgrade.

I'm sure the 4.10 gearing will be fine if I stick at or below 35" tires, but it would definitely be more ideal at that size or larger.
4.10's will be fine. I could have lived with 3.45's with 35's on the highway, but I want to go offroad. I will eventually get a Rubicon T-case (with the 4.88's) and have a trail sleeper ready for some wild trails.
Sponsored

Reactions: AFD

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
I find the new JLR much nicer all around than my TJR. It handles better since it’s slightly longer and wider, the 6sd manual is way better, the gearing all around with 4.88s feels a million times peppier. The cabin is much more refined and the creature comforts rock. Why not beat the snot out of a $70k Jeep while using heated seats listening to Spotify and watching off-road+ for the “tip over” scale. I say go for it.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I guess what I'd like to ask you folks that have a JL, what's the story on options - which ones are garbage, which one would you wish you'd gotten
Factory LED lights are good. Every now and again someone comes along to the forum who saved a nickel on stock halogens and wants to upgrade. Yes cheap amazon LED upgrades are cheap, but they're not very good, and not much of an upgrade (downgrade?). And sourcing and installing the Mopar LEDs ends up being a pain and costs you more out-of-pocket than if you'd just ordered the LEDs up front.

Front cam is nice for those off-roading occasions when you're cresting a big steep and all you see out the windshield is sky. Again, folks who've come to the forum trying to do the upgrade after the fact find that it costs about three times as much, plus major hassle, to upgrade after the fact.

If you're doing lots of electrical upgrade, getting the tow package/aux switches is probably worth it, even though you can't tow much with the two door.

If you're like me, and it's cold out, you want those heated seats.

If you're gonna lift and go big tires, by far and away the cheapest way to gear is to get the 4.88s from the factory. (Not sure if that's a manual 6 speed only option tho)

You either want aesthetic options like color matched top, color matched fenders, leather interior, etc... or you don't. No useful advice to be had there.
Sponsored