First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3, Wrangler Rubicon TJ
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
In the 3 years I've had my TJ, I've never had the top or doors off once. Partially because I just roll the windows down in the summer and because I have no place to store the hardtop. lol

The concern with getting rid of the TJ for the LJ and using it off road is, of course, damage and expensive repairs. I'd be a lot less concerned scraping around in the TJ that's paid for than a brand-new LJ that I've got 4 more years of payments to make.
Sponsored

OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
If you are getting 100 miles from a quarter tank - that’s 21 MPG
What’s the complaint ?
I'm not getting that mileage, unfortunately.

That's if I have a single trip into Douglas for work. I'm not sure if it's the fuel gauge or what, but when I top it off before I make the trip, it doesn't move off full until I'm almost in Douglas. But after that, the fuel needle drops a lot quicker. Like when I fill it up, it's filling past the "full" mark (but I'm not burping the tank on fill up) and I get an extra half gallon or gallon than the gauge reads.

If I have to make a second trip into Douglas, then it goes from 3/4 tank to just above 1/4 tank.

So, depending on the number of trips I have to make, I can get around 225mi on 3/4 tank.

The biggest complaint is when I moved here in June 2020, gas was $1.78/gal for 85. Now it's $3.45. That hurts.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Don't get me wrong, I love my JL, but it isn't the best in winter/snow. It does okay in snow. But it's weight can get you in trouble. Granted you can fiddle with tires to get better traction and whatnot. But if you are looking to get a dedicated snow diving rig, I'd look at putting a 2" lift on a low, light weight wagon like a Subaru and running one size up from stock tires like a set of bfg at. And get a hitch mount winch and front/rear receivers.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
TBH, it depends on use case. The JL will definitely be more comfortable for long drives (no TJ in my past, but an '01 XJ is what I'm basing my comparison on with my 2 door JL, same era Jeep even if not apples to apples). All kinds of gadgetry if that floats your boat. IMO, however, the biggest deal is the advancement in power trains. The 4 speed auto in early 2000s Jeeps is painful in comparison to the 8 speed auto. The 8 speed is smooth and quick and seems to generally keep you in a good power band regardless of 3.6 V6 or 2.0T, both of which are good engines, even if I do have a soft spot for the 4.0.

Where the TJ wins out, IMO, is in simpleness - especially if you do any of your own work. The 4.0 is a good engine and has been around for so long that most issues are known and can be fixed relatively easily. The JL is definitely more complex to work on yourself (I recommend getting a factory service manual from Mopar for it if you do go with a JL, it's been great for the more recent Dodge/Jeep vehicles I've had).

OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
Welp, I'm back!

Currently re-reading through the thread to see what you all said again.

Went to a dealer today to talk about a 2023 2 Door Rubicon. My TJ will be paid off soon - so that's really nice! But parts are getting harder to find. For instance, the heater core on mine has a hole - the part is cheap, but finding it was a huge pain and the labor to get it installed is ridiculous. Being a 2006, it's only going to get worse for parts.

So, I'm considering getting a new 2 Door Rubicon. Optioned out in blue, it's $56,445. Dealer said it's about a 3-4 month wait for delivery.

I guess what I'd like to ask you folks that have a JL, what's the story on options - which ones are garbage, which one would you wish you'd gotten or are they all quality, just depends on which options you want?

I'm looking at the 2.0L turbo (test drove a base Wrangler with the 2.0 at the dealer today). Last I read, it was a good engine.

How has your 2 door JL treated you since you bought it?

Thank you! (off to re-read the thread now)

20221226_115433.jpg

Sponsored

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I never had a TJ, but I did have 2 YJs and still miss them. I’ve had 2 and 4 door JKs and JLs and agree that if it’s your daily, any JL will be much better for those long trips and QoL.

But, as the other commenter mentioned, there’s something non-tangible lost with the JLs, even compared to the JKs. They’re nice, but definitely lack just a bit of that fun factor if you’re used to older jeeps. A well maintained CJ, YJ or TJ still turns my head quicker than the best built JL.

If there’s anyway to keep your TJ, I’d go that route. But that’s just me.
its the size.

76_iron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ5
I'd get the 2.0 again if I was ordering today. Drop the top liner, grab handles, and hinge reinforcement. Add the full time transfer case. If you pay MSRP you're getting ripped off.

Reactions: AFD
OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
I'd get the 2.0 again if I was ordering today. Drop the top liner, grab handles, and hinge reinforcement. Add the full time transfer case. If you pay MSRP you're getting ripped off.
What's the story on the full-time transfer case? Is it reliable and durable? I saw concerns that with CV boots rather than U-joints with repair/replacement costs/time.

76_iron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ5
What's the story on the full-time transfer case? Is it reliable and durable? I saw concerns that with CV boots rather than U-joints with repair/replacement costs/time.
I've not heard of anyone having trouble with it, it's the one option I didn't get that I regret. CV joint axle shafts are the same work to change out as a u-joint shaft, if you ever had to change it out. The boots getting ripped off road is a concern but I don't think it's that common.

Sponsored

Take57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sport S
Vroom quoted me just under 10k.

Yeah, not selling it for that little.
That's a rough pill to swallow but the deprecation on BMW's is harsh. About a year ago I let go of my 335i cabriolet because I'm having a house built in Tucson and the area roads aren't exactly conducive for high performance/low profile automobiles. I went the charitable donation route and it was an eyeopener. I should have expected it, but it was still something of a shock to see how much the value dropped.

As soon as the house is completed I plan to purchase a Willys but the timing may be tricky. If I order too soon I'll have nowhere to park it, too late and I'll be without my own wheels in a town that is very car-centric. First-world problems, but problems none the less.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

I sometimes have to commute 100mi to work. That's about 1/4 of a tank for a round-trip.
What?!?!?!? I wish . Get a Prius, you will be happier. My YJ, TJ, JL, have never come close to this... I got 20 mpg in this, 22 mpg in my JL

Jeep Wrangler JL Talk to me about 2-door JL Rubicons - QoL benefits from TJs IMG_0762

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I guess what I'd like to ask you folks that have a JL, what's the story on options - which ones are garbage, which one would you wish you'd gotten or are they all quality, just depends on which options you want?
Kinda wishing I would've got the 4.88 gears instead of the tow package (or both). Glad I got the 4WD-auto and cold-weather package. LED was a must-have either way.

The headliner is okay, but not worth the price imo, though I don't think you'd be saving much buying Hothead headliners and installing them yourself. Didn't go for any OEM slider upgrades since they're known for causing body damage and can be added later yourself (and there's lots of nice aftermarket ones for the 2-door).

Shoot for at least 10% off MSRP or better. Signing up for Tread Lightly at the $100 level 30 days before pick up should get you 2% under invoice at some dealers (only ~4% off MSRP, iirc), but some will stack it with whatever deal you're already getting, though some won't honor it at all. Check @Ratbert 's list of dealers for any nearby with decent deals and/or see if your local dealer will get you anywhere close. Sometimes it's worth the extra savings to travel, sometimes it just doesn't make sense. Best of luck!

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Kinda wishing I would've got the 4:88 gears instead of the tow package (or both). Glad I got the 4WD-auto and cold-weather package. LED was a must-have either way.

The headliner is okay, but not worth the price imo, though I don't think you'd be saving much buying Hothead headliners and installing them yourself. Didn't go for any OEM slider upgrades since they're known for causing body damage and can be added later yourself (and there's lots of nice aftermarket ones for the 2-door).

Shoot for at least 10% off MSRP or better. Signing up for Tread Lightly at the $100 level 30 days before pick up should get you 2% under invoice at some dealers (only ~4% off MSRP, iirc), but some will stack it with whatever deal you're already getting, though some won't honor it at all. Check @Ratbert 's list of dealers for any nearby with decent deals and/or see if you're local dealer will get you anywhere close. Sometimes it's worth the extra savings to travel, sometimes it just doesn't make sense. Best of luck!
I am getting the 4.88 in right now, $2500. Not a option when I purchased the JL.

52-bU4Cy36kxvjnbcMf_g6VraBKaD1TjxR4lpfMKWMY59w3LPhq_fXalIaTi3oCNfVwOFZa5cmqcN0FjZLVFwBqHYsdY0...jpeg

Reactions: AFD

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I am getting the 4.88 in right now, $2500. Not a option when I purchased the JL.

Jeep Wrangler JL Talk to me about 2-door JL Rubicons - QoL benefits from TJs 52-bU4Cy36kxvjnbcMf_g6VraBKaD1TjxR4lpfMKWMY59w3LPhq_fXalIaTi3oCNfVwOFZa5cmqcN0FjZLVFwBqHYsdY0
Ouch! When I originally started shopping, I don't think the 4.88 gears were available with the 2-door (or maybe not in combination with my selected specs). Checked the ordering guides and online configurator a million times, but never saw it as an option until long after I placed the order. Iirc, it was only an $800 upgrade.

I'm sure the 4.10 gearing will be fine if I stick at or below 35" tires, but it would definitely be more ideal at that size or larger.
Sponsored