Talk me out of it?

DUR4MAX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, 2022 JTRD, 2022 Wagoneer
About a month ago, my wife's vehicle needed to be replaced. I asked her what she wanted and all she told me was a 4 door white wrangler. What did this guy do? ... Well, I went out and bought her a 2022 JLUR Diesel. After about a month of driving, she decided she didn't like it and it was too small for her. Needless to say, I ended up getting rid of my truck and getting her a new Wagoneer. Fast forward to now, and I find myself missing the aspects of a truck. Been a jeep guy all my life and I'm sitting on the fence about keeping this Wrangler or trading it in on a Gladiator.

I'm a bit of a country boy so truck beds are nice to have, but I do a lot of hunting too. Not going to throw a whitetail in the back of a Wrangler.

Have any of you been on the fence between the JL and the JT? What pushed you one way or another?
Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I would use this as a learning experience and a reminder to bring your wife along the next time she needs a new vehicle.

By the way, I was interested in a Gladiator, but I'm a city boy and park in my apartment building's parking garage. The Gladiator was too long for my parking spot and my brother drives a Silverado... so I got the JLU and if I ever need a bed, I can trade with him for a few days.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You'd be an idiot to trade the JL on a JT. A JT is clunky, ugly, lighter in the rear, has too short of a bed for any useful purpose, gets poor mileage, doesn't have enough power, rides rough, handles poorly, has poor steering feel. The JT is kind of an abomination. You'll look like a fool trying to use one as a truck.

rudyr89

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
I was in the same boat. I have 7 acres of property so the truck bed comes in handy when throwing crap in. I went to carmax and test drove both the JLU and Gladiator. The gladiator definitely seemed to drive better because of the longer wheelbase but it's nothing to brag about. I couldn't justify the small bed so I ended up buying a JLU and a beat-up Ranger for around town when the bed is needed.

I'm coming from a 2018 F-150 supercrew as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Talk me out of it? 1651501780212

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
My deer go on a hitch rack. Much cheaper than a new vehicle.
Also, trailers do wonders . ..

I was the guy that always insisted on the 8ft truck bed, to put all my stuff in.. Then one day, I saw the light ... a Trailer that you pull with your truck / wagoneer / JL / etc ..

J1337P

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLUD
You'd be an idiot to trade the JL on a JT. A JT is clunky, ugly, lighter in the rear, has too short of a bed for any useful purpose, gets poor mileage, doesn't have enough power, rides rough, handles poorly, has poor steering feel. The JT is kind of an abomination. You'll look like a fool trying to use one as a truck.
Tell us how you really feel lol

Sponsored

Bergerboy

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys
Ditto what Bowhunter said:
I invested in a $40 hitch-mounted rack. Any deer I can bag gets thrown on that with some bungees. If I ever happen to bag an Elk or some other monster, I'll find access to a trailer!
The rack also doubles as an external luggage or cooler carrier for long fishing trips, etc.

I didn't order the trailer package with my '21 JLU, so I opted for the aftermarket hitch that bolts right to the frame cross member.

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
About a month ago, my wife's vehicle needed to be replaced. I asked her what she wanted and all she told me was a 4 door white wrangler. What did this guy do? ... Well, I went out and bought her a 2022 JLUR Diesel. After about a month of driving, she decided she didn't like it and it was too small for her. Needless to say, I ended up getting rid of my truck and getting her a new Wagoneer. Fast forward to now, and I find myself missing the aspects of a truck. Been a jeep guy all my life and I'm sitting on the fence about keeping this Wrangler or trading it in on a Gladiator.

I'm a bit of a country boy so truck beds are nice to have, but I do a lot of hunting too. Not going to throw a whitetail in the back of a Wrangler.

Have any of you been on the fence between the JL and the JT? What pushed you one way or another?
Just ordered a JLUR Diesel myself! I would say a no-go on the JT ... it just looks odd. Plus the axles are further apart, making it less desirable than the JL for offroading. And the JL is just overall much more versatile.

I hunt as well, and I figure I could always tow a cheap trailer to throw a whitetail in during hunting season. I'm also not beyond just stuffing a deer in the cargo space of the wrangler if it fits!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Go find a nice, low miles 15-20 year old truck that some old man owned. They are out there. Then you can have it for hauling days. I have a Jeep, a pickup and a utility trailer for big or messy stuff. Honestly all I need is the Jeep and the utility trailer, but I still find the truck useful.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Tell us how you really feel lol
I just read the title of the thread and started there. I don't really have an opinion on the JT, but if the OP doesn't want one, and asks for people to talk them out of one, I'll try to talk him/her out of it.
Sponsored