Sponsored

Talk me out of it?

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
For the price of a JT (especially a JTR) you could easily get a nicely equipped full-sized pickup, or a loaded Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado/etc. Those will function much better as an actual truck, in terms of power, towing capacity, etc.
For argument’s sake, if you are buying a JTR, you are basically getting a loaded vehicle. Also, what would make a Tacoma, ranger, or Colorado better suited than a JT?All of them have very comparable HP and towing capacity. This isn’t meant to be defensive either, I don’t have a JT but curious on your thoughts.
Sponsored

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
You'd be an idiot to trade the JL on a JT. A JT is clunky, ugly, lighter in the rear, has too short of a bed for any useful purpose, gets poor mileage, doesn't have enough power, rides rough, handles poorly, has poor steering feel. The JT is kind of an abomination. You'll look like a fool trying to use one as a truck.
I guess Im the idiot! I traded my JL for JT and have a better ride! Steering is just as tight, my towing capacity doubled, I get the same gas mileage as my JL. And I actually have a 5 1/2' bed to put what ever I want back there! the hard top is easier to manage and takes up less room. And I wheel it damn near every other week! Oh and my doors and top come off, what other midsize truck can do that? I think someone has told you a bunch of lies!

RubICON1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992,2011,2014,2022 RubICON
About a month ago, my wife's vehicle needed to be replaced. I asked her what she wanted and all she told me was a 4 door white wrangler. What did this guy do? ... Well, I went out and bought her a 2022 JLUR Diesel. After about a month of driving, she decided she didn't like it and it was too small for her. Needless to say, I ended up getting rid of my truck and getting her a new Wagoneer. Fast forward to now, and I find myself missing the aspects of a truck. Been a jeep guy all my life and I'm sitting on the fence about keeping this Wrangler or trading it in on a Gladiator.

I'm a bit of a country boy so truck beds are nice to have, but I do a lot of hunting too. Not going to throw a whitetail in the back of a Wrangler.

Have any of you been on the fence between the JL and the JT? What pushed you one way or another?
Tie it to the hood, like we did in the olden days!

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
About a month ago, my wife's vehicle needed to be replaced. I asked her what she wanted and all she told me was a 4 door white wrangler. What did this guy do? ... Well, I went out and bought her a 2022 JLUR Diesel. After about a month of driving, she decided she didn't like it and it was too small for her. Needless to say, I ended up getting rid of my truck and getting her a new Wagoneer. Fast forward to now, and I find myself missing the aspects of a truck. Been a jeep guy all my life and I'm sitting on the fence about keeping this Wrangler or trading it in on a Gladiator.

I'm a bit of a country boy so truck beds are nice to have, but I do a lot of hunting too. Not going to throw a whitetail in the back of a Wrangler.

Have any of you been on the fence between the JL and the JT? What pushed you one way or another?

Jeff, the linked article goes into a good bit of depth regarding the engineering behind the JT. Found it on another thread here (I think) a couple of weeks ago. I have a JLUR but enjoyed reading the article. Seems there is a good bit more than it just being "a Wrangler with a bed" which is what I previously believed. Hope this helps.

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
By all means, if a 4'x8' trailer is out of the question, then get a JT. Follow your impulse. But the trailer thing is a much better option, since for 1 you have real room, and 2, you can REALLY throw crap in it cause you ain't afraid of banging it up. Bonus, you can throw a rack on it and turn it into an Offroad camper when you need it as such.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I guess Im the idiot! I traded my JL for JT and have a better ride! Steering is just as tight, my towing capacity doubled, I get the same gas mileage as my JL. And I actually have a 5 1/2' bed to put what ever I want back there! the hard top is easier to manage and takes up less room. And I wheel it damn near every other week! Oh and my doors and top come off, what other midsize truck can do that? I think someone has told you a bunch of lies!
It doesn't sound like you read the title of this thread. It's about talking the OP out of a JT. You're not even trying, are you?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

For argument’s sake, if you are buying a JTR, you are basically getting a loaded vehicle. Also, what would make a Tacoma, ranger, or Colorado better suited than a JT?All of them have very comparable HP and towing capacity. This isn’t meant to be defensive either, I don’t have a JT but curious on your thoughts.
RE: Pricing - when I was shopping, even just a JT "Texas Trail" trim with some options was roughly equivalent to a low-to-mid Silverado/Sierra, and a JTR would be basically the same as a loaded "small" pickup (a '21 Tacoma is roughly the same size as my '07 Sierra was, lol). So basically, you're not saving any $$ getting a JT vs a truck.

Towing-wise, you're right. Not sure where I got that the JT had the same towing capacity as the JLU, but it appears as though I've been misinformed. Still won't compare to a full-sized pickup, though.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I had owned trucks (2) for 20 years before deciding that I wanted to try a Jeep again (after my fiasco with a 1995 YJ).

I knew what I'd be missing if I traded a truck for a Wrangler. As to why I chose a JLU and not a JT? Cost, largely. I've a modestly configured Sport. Building the Gladiator the exact same way created an unignorable $6K price variance (increase). Nein, danke.

I wasn't using my trucks as trucks so frequently that I couldn't live without their utility, so I chose a four door Jeep to hedge my bet if or when cargo capacity was needed. I also installed a Curt receiver hitch and a 4-flat harness. I do miss the 500 lb. tongue weight rating of my truck hitch, though, and will be compelled to sell my Versahaul as a consequence of the Jeep's 350 lb. tongue weight rating.

The ungainly aesthetic of the Gladiator didn't bother me, but it is there and I'd be fibbing if it wasn't at the back of my mind during the decision process, also.

Jeep Wrangler JL Talk me out of it? Camp check in

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
I went from a JL Ecodiesel to a Mojave JT and I absolutely love the truck bed. I used to drive rams before I bought my jeeps and although the gladiator feels small, it is more practical for me than a full size truck, or wrangler. I do miss the Ecodiesel though.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Not going to throw a whitetail in the back of a Wrangler.
Texas whitetail ???
Just throw it in the glove box !!!
Now, if you were from Saskatchewan this would be a whole different conversation ... LOL

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Very interest thread. Everybody has different opinion's, which is good. Just think about it, if everybody wanted the same thing in life.....
Now my 2 cents: I am not against Diesel engines. Before I got into management, I worked on and have had plant tours from Caterpillar, Cummins and Detroit Diesels. I have also rebuilt most of these engines, applicable in size for a pickup truck, 18 wheeler Peterbilt Trucks, all sizes of HD Construction equipment, and 350 Ton Copper mine haulage trucks, with 20 cylinder engines. So I like and have a respect for Diesel Engines. Now back on Topic, which kind of goes hand in hand. I also like the Gladiators and JL's.
Now if I wanted to haul some loads lets say 5000 lbs. to 12000 lbs. or pull a full blown camper behind it, then my choice would not be a Gladiator. They are not rated for some of this, plus the engine cooling systems are marginal at best. There is just not enough radiator square inch frontal area, to do it right. I would purchase a Dodge, GMC, or Ford pickup truck, with a Diesel engine that is designed to handle these loads in the mountains, with ease and not overheating the engine. There is a place for a Gladiator, hauling or pulling a trailer around town. But not in the mountains with heavy loads. As for the Diesels in the JLU, well as for telling others, look....I have a Diesel in my Wrangler, which makes me feel good, but does it really serve a purpose?. If power is what one wants, they why not just get the 392?
But if one is a die hard Gladiator fan, then purchase the Mojave.

There will be those of you that disagree with everything that I said above. And that is O.K., because what are Forum made up with, mainly option's... :)

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer

I TRIED really had to like the JT. There were some good incentives on it so I thought, I get a truck and a Jeep. I just don't like how they look unless they're decked out for overlanding with 37s. They look silly to me and if I'm buying a pickup truck, it's not going to be a Jeep pickup, it'll be a Toyota or Dodge.

I also hated how the rear seats couldn't recline at all. In my parents JK, the rear seats can recline a bit. I come to find out, they cannot recline in my JL either, dumb.

The JT is really an overlanders dream though. That's where it fits in here. A JLU is okay but a JL is better. The compact size but with so much more additional cargo room makes it great on a trail for overlanding vs a full size pickup. I think the Jeep also has more room than a Tacoma so if you want to compare truck to truck for overlanding experience, JT wins.

I wouldn't trade my JLUR in for a JT unless I was getting it 3.5" lifted with 37s and turning it into an overlanding monster pulling a nice overlanding trailer. That will never happen because I cannot afford it, unless this apecoin or AVAX crypto suddenly pulls a bitcoin..... then I'll be rich.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I mean this with no disrespect.
you come to an enthusiast forum and essentially ask them about the vehicle they obviously love. What do you expect?
Either you wanted some validation or you didn’t think this thru.
As far your question, If you can’t live without a truck, get a real truck. JT is not.
Not necessarily true. I have several posts on here talking about how the Bronco is superior to the Jeep in certain aspects. I'm 100% a Toyota fanboy, yet I still own a Jeep. I like my Jeep but I'll give an honest opinionated answer every time and not just be like, "OMG JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP YOU NOOB!"

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I also hated how the rear seats couldn't recline at all. In my parents JK, the rear seats can recline a bit. I come to find out, they cannot recline in my JL either, dumb.
I was gifted this kit for Christmas. Accolades all 'round for the comfort gained from modestly adjusting the tilt of the seatback. Granted, it's for the four door only...but that's a JLU in your avatar, so...

Pick a warm day, pick a beer (or 3!) and get to work. :like:

levi.butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR & 2021 JLUR
We have both... they're both amazing vehicles.

Jeep Wrangler JL Talk me out of it? 20220426_192413_resized

I think the best, most unbiased way to say it is this...

The JTR for every day living is going to be more comfortable due to the longer wheel base and it sure is nice being able to store your cargo outside of the cabin of the vehicle. Throwing heavy shit in the back of the JLUR will always lead to beat up interior panels that you don't have to worry about in the JTR.

The MPGs are essentially the same.

When it comes to wheeling, on paper, the JLUR will do better but in reality... it only does sometimes. Here is the truth, there is no such thing as a perfect wheel base for EVERY obstacle but there certainly is a perfect wheel base for EACH obstacle.

The JLUR is cheaper than the JTR.

In short, the Gladiator is NOT a Wrangler with a bed... the front end is mostly the same but the rear end is much different. The JTR does all of the Jeep stuff really well... just as well as the JLUR. You can't go wrong either way. If you want a vehicle with a bed that does all of the Jeep stuff, get a Gladiator. If you want that shorter wheel base and can handle grabbing a trailer when you need it, the Wrangler is the way to go.
Sponsored