DUR4MAX

DUR4MAX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, 2022 JTRD, 2022 Wagoneer
Y'all are definitely making me feel better about this Wrangler. I suck it up, and I appreciate the input. Guess I better get to spending to make this jeep a little more me than just bone stock.
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
About a month ago, my wife's vehicle needed to be replaced. I asked her what she wanted and all she told me was a 4 door white wrangler. What did this guy do? ... Well, I went out and bought her a 2022 JLUR Diesel. After about a month of driving, she decided she didn't like it and it was too small for her. Needless to say, I ended up getting rid of my truck and getting her a new Wagoneer. Fast forward to now, and I find myself missing the aspects of a truck. Been a jeep guy all my life and I'm sitting on the fence about keeping this Wrangler or trading it in on a Gladiator.

I'm a bit of a country boy so truck beds are nice to have, but I do a lot of hunting too. Not going to throw a whitetail in the back of a Wrangler.

Have any of you been on the fence between the JL and the JT? What pushed you one way or another?
Get a trailer to tow behind the the JLU for when you need it.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
@DUR4MAX

If the market is holding up, you may be in a decent situation to make the change without getting hurt too bad (or not at all).

I've played around with replacing my Ram with a Gladiator (our White JLUR is my wife's daily). The off-road ability and the fun of upgrading it being the only real pro's.

Cons, well equipped cost is on par with the Ram 1500, which is a lot more truck for the money. Less power, less interior space and quality, less towing and hauling capacity.

If you still have your TJ, a real truck may be the way to go. If you don't really need a truck, can you live with the JLU?

t.i.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler buying soon
Y'all are definitely making me feel better about this Wrangler. I suck it up, and I appreciate the input. Guess I better get to spending to make this jeep a little more me than just bone stock.
I mean this with no disrespect.
you come to an enthusiast forum and essentially ask them about the vehicle they obviously love. What do you expect?
Either you wanted some validation or you didnā€™t think this thru.
As far your question, If you canā€™t live without a truck, get a real truck. JT is not.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Came from an '07 GMC Sierra, was originally considering just buying a new Silverado/Sierra before I moved over to JLU. In between, I had nearly completely settled on a JT before reconsidering my need for towing/truck bed (don't really need/use either).

For the price of a JT (especially a JTR) you could easily get a nicely equipped full-sized pickup, or a loaded Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado/etc. Those will function much better as an actual truck, in terms of power, towing capacity, etc.

The JT is (based on my research online+test drives) basically a Jeep with the cargo area converted to a bed. That's very different from a truck that can go off-road.

Just depends on what you want/need - do you want an off-road vehicle that can tow/haul a bit, or a towing/hauling vehicle that can go off-road a bit?

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
/thread

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
You'd be an idiot to trade the JL on a JT. A JT is clunky, ugly, lighter in the rear, has too short of a bed for any useful purpose, gets poor mileage, doesn't have enough power, rides rough, handles poorly, has poor steering feel. The JT is kind of an abomination. You'll look like a fool trying to use one as a truck.
You described a Wrangler with regards to lack of power, ride, handling, steering, etc. The rest of your comments are personal opinion and probably without actual experience.

I have had both, they are both great for what they were designed to do, the bed is fine for most use cases for those that buy a Gladiator. If you need need a long bed buy something else, tow a large heavy trailer, again there are other trucks better suited for that.

MKC JL

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU ,2019 Cherokee Limited
I just did this last week. Took my 21 Gladiator Willys in for a free oil change and came home with a 22 JLU. Only had the truck 8 mths.

My need for a bed passed and I missed my Jeep.

Sponsored

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
Some of these posts are full of misinformation, much like the new government department of disinformation.
The JT has more towing capability than all the other small/midsize trucks. It has the same size bed as the competition. It is not a JLU with a bed, it's a totally redesigned suspension system based off the Ram 1500. It's still a Jeep. It can be ugly to some, kind of like a new born baby.

I have both. The JT and JLU drives about the same.

KevinC

OP
OP
DUR4MAX

DUR4MAX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean this with no disrespect.
you come to an enthusiast forum and essentially ask them about the vehicle they obviously love. What do you expect?
Either you wanted some validation or you didnā€™t think this thru.
As far your question, If you canā€™t live without a truck, get a real truck. JT is not.
I came to this forum to see if anyone has ever had this dilemma. I had a 2020 Duramax that I traded because my wife didn't end up liking her Wrangler. I expected to hear stories of folks that left a truck and went into a JLUR and absolutely love it or they end up missing their trucks.

It wasn't that I didn't think this through. My wife wanted a Wrangler for years. I bought her one when her engine blew on her Tahoe. I went and got her exactly what she wanted. She had the buyers regret and since I've been in Wranglers all my life, I traded my truck in to get her something different.

I just wanted a little bit of perspective.

OP
OP
DUR4MAX

DUR4MAX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DUR4MAX

If the market is holding up, you may be in a decent situation to make the change without getting hurt too bad (or not at all).

I've played around with replacing my Ram with a Gladiator (our White JLUR is my wife's daily). The off-road ability and the fun of upgrading it being the only real pro's.

Cons, well equipped cost is on par with the Ram 1500, which is a lot more truck for the money. Less power, less interior space and quality, less towing and hauling capacity.

If you still have your TJ, a real truck may be the way to go. If you don't really need a truck, can you live with the JLU?
I do have the TJ, love that thing but that is being passed down to my daughter in a year. So, I'll be without.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You described a Wrangler with regards to lack of power, ride, handling, steering, etc. The rest of your comments are personal opinion and probably without actual experience.

I have had both, they are both great for what they were designed to do, the bed is fine for most use cases for those that buy a Gladiator. If you need need a long bed buy something else, tow a large heavy trailer, again there are other trucks better suited for that.
My comments are without personal experience, absolutely. It appears you didn't read the title of the thread, and it doesn't appear you're trying to talk the OP out of a JT.

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
About a month ago, my wife's vehicle needed to be replaced. I asked her what she wanted and all she told me was a 4 door white wrangler. What did this guy do? ... Well, I went out and bought her a 2022 JLUR Diesel. After about a month of driving, she decided she didn't like it and it was too small for her. Needless to say, I ended up getting rid of my truck and getting her a new Wagoneer. Fast forward to now, and I find myself missing the aspects of a truck. Been a jeep guy all my life and I'm sitting on the fence about keeping this Wrangler or trading it in on a Gladiator.

I'm a bit of a country boy so truck beds are nice to have, but I do a lot of hunting too. Not going to throw a whitetail in the back of a Wrangler.

Have any of you been on the fence between the JL and the JT? What pushed you one way or another?
DO IT! I had a JLUR for about 6 months, traded it in on a JTR and haven't looked back! I freaking love having the ability to carry lots of things. Its been years since I had a truck and didn't know I missed it as much till I got the JT. I still ride the trails and wheel in the same places I did in my JL.
Sponsored