Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Guess it depends on how big your dog is. My Lily is about 13lbs lol. She rides in the back seat in her own car seat/bed (got from Quadratrec). She is harnessed at all times as you can see in the pics, and the harness is connected to a seat belt tether that is locked into the seat belt receiver in the Jeep. I do give her access to the window to stand up and what not. This has seemed to work for us for years now. My girl is big on having "her place" in each of our cars. She is now trained to where it doesn't matter whos car it is, she will go sit behind the drivers seat and do what we call "paws up" which simply means she sits up so I can put her legs in the harness. Or she sits on the bumper...lol j/k.

I can't speak too much in regards to large dogs, but my mom has a standard poodle (about 60lbs) and she is harnessed as well only hers fastens to the seat belt like a human would wear it allowing her to sit up and move.

LILY1.jpg

LILY2.jpg

LILY3.jpg

lily4.jpg
beautiful baby! I have a lhatese!
Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I have a working dog with many training hours and over $6000 invested in him. He is also a pet when not working or training. Way to much to risk him getting messed up in an accident so he stays crated in the car. We have a one dog at a time rule and I definitely am not ready to deal with a new puppy or worse, a crippled dog.

During my younger and more vulnerable years, I had a 10 month old lab. I took him training a few miles away in my GF's mini pickup. On the way back I had him strapped in with leashes thinking he was secure. Plus he was well trained and would never jump out.

Anyway, somehow he got loose of one of the leashes, had enough slack in another and went over the edge of the truck bed, hit the ground and bounced back in the truck bed.

He was pretty messed up. After all said and done after a few thousand in vet bills he had nerve damage in front leg and his and my hunting days were over until he aged out and I got a replacement dog year latel

Lesson learned.

Jeep Wrangler JL Taking your dog in the Jeep. 00000009-0000-03BB-073F-86198212CA40_HD
Sorry this happened to you, and hope the new dog is learning the ropes well.

Dogs and jeeps are fantastic, but it should be our duty to make sure to keep them in our minds, as they both easily run astray.

Personally, I try not to trust LittleDog as far as I can throw him, and he's fat and I'm out of shape.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
My dog does this too. She's always so excited to go for a ride but she's getting old and has had surgery on both her knees so she just puts her front paws up and gives me the sad puppy dog eyes until I help her the rest of the way.

Jeep Wrangler JL Taking your dog in the Jeep. 00000009-0000-03BB-073F-86198212CA40_HD
I like that doggy safety cage. That's the stuff right there.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks - I appreciate the great advice. Good food for thought. I hadn’t considered just hanging out in the Jeep with her in the driveway. She does respond to treat rewards when learning new behavior. Definitely worth the effort! Again, thanks for commenting. 👍🏻

F6A27063-BDA1-43F4-85E3-C3D6FF51D0B1.jpeg
I love labs. Most are stable and have affectionate dispositions. Clearly the reason they are one of the most popular dogs chosen for pets. I miss ours still, years after her passing.

One thing you may want to consider, keep her weight down. Better off too lean than too heavy. But they'll tend to eat as much as you feed them. Labs suffer from similar issues as humans when carrying extra weight. The number one health issue I see in labs is they tear their CCL (same as the ACL tendon in humans). It's more prevalent in overweight dogs. My neighbor just went thru this with her lab. That dog is 15-20% overweight. The other consequence of obesity is diabetes. Dogs get it too. Labs don't need to be big fat butterballs. You control their weight. Consult your vet or read up on the ideal weight for you dog's frame. I'd say you're dog is over the ideal weight by the picture. They live longer and happier on the lean side.

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
We have a strap that clips into the seat belt and the harness, we were just sitting here waiting for my daughter so we could go for a walk so his lead was just wrapped around the headrest. Currently I chuck a blanket over the leather and keep it in the back.

Jeep Wrangler JL Taking your dog in the Jeep. 20210520_165841

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My little sidekick loves to go on a ride

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I love labs. Most are stable and have affectionate dispositions. Clearly the reason they are one of the most popular dogs chosen for pets. I miss ours still, years after her passing.

One thing you may want to consider, keep her weight down. Better off too lean than too heavy. But they'll tend to eat as much as you feed them. Labs suffer from similar issues as humans when carrying extra weight. The number one health issue I see in labs is they tear their CCL (same as the ACL tendon in humans). It's more prevalent in overweight dogs. My neighbor just went thru this with her lab. That dog is 15-20% overweight. The other consequence of obesity is diabetes. Dogs get it too. Labs don't need to be big fat butterballs. You control their weight. Consult your vet or read up on the ideal weight for you dog's frame. I'd say you're dog is over the ideal weight by the picture. They live longer and happier on the lean side.
Fat labs are a definitely a thing. I see them all over town There is no reason to let your dog get fat. Just don't over feed it and no people food. Problem solved.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Fat labs are a definitely a thing. I see them all over town There is no reason to let your dog get fat. Just don't over feed it and no people food. Problem solved.
Well, fat people are a thing too. Just as easy to fix. Don't eat large portions, and don't snack. Yet I see fat people all over town too. :blush:

Mr.BoJangles_91

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
the one and only time I had the doors off we looped his leash around the roof cross bar and attached it to his harness.

ZOIzLQC4uuu-1dYSVnGO6APAg=w732-h1300-no?authuser=0.jpg

1jvActbmOq4SZhxTQfiXmawA=w2312-h1300-no?authuser=0.jpg

kJx70KBU4BQbuk0g8G1eR8GA=w2312-h1300-no?authuser=0.jpg

Other than that he gets full reign of the back with a permanent bed. On longer trip we'll throw an extra bed back there for him to lay on.

I need to get a pet barrier. I have scratches on the plastic above the center console from when he made his way up to the front to bark at another dog.

Sponsored

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Well, fat people are a thing too. Just as easy to fix. Don't eat large portions, and don't snack. Yet I see fat people all over town too. :blush:
If people don't have the willpower to keep their lab on a healthy diet, I suppose it would be difficult to keep themselves on a healthy diet.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
the one and only time I had the doors off we looped his leash around the roof cross bar and attached it to his harness.

Jeep Wrangler JL Taking your dog in the Jeep. unnamed

Other than that he gets full reign of the back with a permanent bed. On longer trip we'll throw an extra bed back there for him to lay on.

I need to get a pet barrier. I have scratches on the plastic above the center console from when he made his way up to the front to bark at another dog.
How did you design your dog bed/platform?

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director

That's an old photo but does reflect her personality. She's at an ideal weight now (76 lbs) and our veterinarian is thrilled by her weight loss. We run her daily and she looks years younger now. Thanks for sharing advice and your concerns, too. Dogs, like Jeeps, are important to our own personal health. Got at least one of each? Then you are living well, my friends!
Sponsored