Sponsored

Taking off soft top framing?

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
Hey all,

I have the factory soft top on my '21 willys. After taking all the doors off and having the soft top frame still visible, I had the thought that it would be cooler if you could easily remove the frame to get even more "open air" experience. Anyone remove parts of the soft top frame for this reason when going topless/doorless? Are there any aftermarket soft top solutions that solve for this at all? I just think the jeep looks so much better without any of the soft top framing.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
It's removable, just a handful of bolts. If you watch a YT video of a swap from soft to hard top, it should walk you through it.

Unheard

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Two bolts (if I recall) per frame piece and they pop off easily.

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda CRV, Ordered JLUR
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
they are right, if you really wanted to, you could probably take off the parts you wanted in about 10 minutes. And then, 10 minutes to get it back on. Some guy on Youtube took all of that off and put his hard top on in 17 minutes all on camera.

OP
OP

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
thanks guys. Are there aftermarket options that are more like the hard top, but a soft top? Would be cool if they all were just panels you could remove... and the frame would be built into the panels you take off.

Sponsored

HammeredGold

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy's Sport
I take them off every time i take my doors/soft top off. Get an electric ratchet and they'll come off in a hurry.

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
I take them off every time i take my doors/soft top off. Get an electric ratchet and they'll come off in a hurry.
Good to know, thanks! How many attachment points? Someone mentioned 4, but I see a min of 8 for the roll bar alone.

HammeredGold

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy's Sport
Good to know, thanks! How many attachment points? Someone mentioned 4, but I see a min of 8 for the roll bar alone.
It's 4 total pieces. Each one held on with 2 bolts, so 8 bolts. I also take off my soft top entirely and that is 2 bolts on each side as well.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I used to pull the frame off my JK but with a JLU you're going to have to unbolt the soft top frame from the brackets on the D pillar and remove it from the glide frame, then remove the 8 bolts that hold the door surrounds to the bars. I agree it looks better but IMO that is a lot of work.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Took this guy less than 6 minutes to remove entire soft top and channels.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
I used to pull the frame off my JK but with a JLU you're going to have to unbolt the soft top frame from the brackets on the D pillar and remove it from the glide frame, then remove the 8 bolts that hold the door surrounds to the bars. I agree it looks better but IMO that is a lot of work.
I’d be open to aftermarket soft tops and just sell what I currently have if one exists that’s easier to take everything off/ put back on. Like a frameless panels kind of thing.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not think that there is anything out there that will allow that. We all wanted a top that was easy to put up and down but they are all not so easy to remove as the JK tops. Also JL tops don't have knobs for the surrounds. It was like they wanted us to pull all of it off and with the JL they (FCA) don't.

OP
OP

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
I do not think that there is anything out there that will allow that. We all wanted a top that was easy to put up and down but they are all not so easy to remove as the JK tops. Also JL tops don't have knobs for the surrounds. It was like they wanted us to pull all of it off and with the JL they (FCA) don't.
I've seen a few fastback tops that leave less of a "frame" behind and when in sunrider mode they don't have as much material bunching up as well.

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
It's 4 total pieces. Each one held on with 2 bolts, so 8 bolts. I also take off my soft top entirely and that is 2 bolts on each side as well.
Cool, thanks! I’ve often wondered if quick release pins would work, and expedite the process. They come in all shapes, sizes, sheer strength, etc. Not a year round solution or for blasting down the interstate at 85 mph, but maybe a Summer around town solution.

Jeep Wrangler JL Taking off soft top framing? 6326B5A4-1FEE-49A9-9DEE-6F2B747756A9

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've seen a few fastback tops that leave less of a "frame" behind and when in sunrider mode they don't have as much material bunching up as well.
I have a factory soft top and she has a Bestop Trektop Ultra and when folded down it does not go down as far as the factory top. Both are ungainly when folded but all of the mechanical origami does go up and down easier.....
Sponsored