Sponsored

Taking a trip to Denver next month

jlandry287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel
Hey guys,

Figured this would be the best place to post this.

My gf and I are headed to Denver the end of July to stay with a friend. He's located in Denver so that'll be base camp.

We live in Louisiana so it's quite a drive (~17h), but I'm dying to take the JLURD since I wanna do some jeepin' (and hiking).

One of the trails I'd like to do is Imogene Pass, which of course we'd stay in either Ouray/Telluride that evening.

I'm not looking for something as intense as Black Bear Pass, but still want to make the most of the opportunity.

Anybody got any ideas/recommendations on trails/routes (not just for jeepin' but for hiking also)?

And before anybody even says it, yes I know I'm going to spend an arm & leg on diesel....
Sponsored

Joaquim

First Name
Joaquim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Autist
Hey guys,

Figured this would be the best place to post this.

My gf and I are headed to Denver the end of July to stay with a friend. He's located in Denver so that'll be base camp.

We live in Louisiana so it's quite a drive (~17h), but I'm dying to take the JLURD since I wanna do some jeepin' (and hiking).

One of the trails I'd like to do is Imogene Pass, which of course we'd stay in either Ouray/Telluride that evening.

I'm not looking for something as intense as Black Bear Pass, but still want to make the most of the opportunity.

Anybody got any ideas/recommendations on trails/routes (not just for jeepin' but for hiking also)?

And before anybody even says it, yes I know I'm going to spend an arm & leg on diesel....
I’ll try and cover off-road trails, as for hiking trails refer to AllTrails app -

- apologies for the grammar & sentence structure of a 6 y/o ahead of time -

Rollins pass near Nederland/winter park (the old train tunnel linking both sides is closed now) is quite good and mild - just take screenshots of the trail routes ahead of time on your phone because obviously you will not have cell reception on any of these - and for Rollins pass remember that Jenny creek is a much more technical alternative route that is not necessary

Kingston peak ohv route is pretty mild, requires some articulation and definitely a lot of rocks (this is still snowed out and closed) but this has beautiful alpine views and is close to Denver + has a few other trails surrounding it

Argentine pass near Georgetown is pretty cool but is relatively tame as well, although the shelf road to the peak is probably still snowed out

Bunce school road has some technical stuff but the scenery is nowhere near as good as the previous three

Coney creek & middle st. Vrain is a pretty good round trip trail, a few possibly deep river crossings but it’s relatively well trafficked - as with any of these at this time of the year (June/early july) I’d still be slightly worried about snow

Switzerland trail certainly has no snow and was basically an old narrow gauge railroad track, nothing really technical

Black bear I would say is super fun and honestly not too technical, it’s mainly the shelf road and switchbacks that are terrifying - watch a dashcam video of it and you’ll see it’s 100% doable

However, I wouldn’t attempt it unless your experience behind the wheel and are sure you won’t freak and accidentally hit the gas (or do what that one fella did with the red jeep on YouTube and forget to put the parking brake on when facing straight downhill towards a cliff)

Overall - check out onX off-road app or AllTrails and filter it to off-road driving and you’ll find some great ones - you shouldn’t have to worry about much snow anywhere by late July, but if Kingston peak is open definitely check that one out (just over an hour from denver)

Last thing - remember there is pretty much a universal fire ban in colorado rn + don’t drive off the trail onto alpine country(above tree line), so many people do that and ruin the environment to the point where it takes decades to recover - and also turn public opinion against off-roaders/ keeping the trails open

If you’ve got any questions feel free to PM - I’ve run most major trails in CO

Last edited:

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Of you’re looking to hit the badge of honor trails certainly run down to Ouray. Though depending where you are it is a 5 hour drive. Something to keep in mind.

There are plenty of other trails that are great and everything @Joaquim mentioned are great choices. Checkout Trails Offroad for trails as well. Lots to choose from. And remember trail etiquette is uphill has the right of way. This is more important on shelf roads IMO.

OP
OP
jlandry287

jlandry287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel
So far we have a few ideas and decided to go a somewhat different path.

Instead of staying in Denver, we've decided to camp/travel starting in SW Colorado, making our way north then to Denver. Lastly, we'll head SE to return home. Here's a little idea I've got in my head.

Jeep Wrangler JL Taking a trip to Denver next month 1657121563921

I'd like to keep the time in the jeep to 5-6 hours from place to place. I don't want to just be driving the entire time, I'd like to do some hiking/rafting/exploring.

I'd be willing to drop/add some places off the itinerary if it means having more time in a nice spot.

Altogether we'll probably be in Colorado for 7 days. I want to stay busy, but not be driving allover for the hell of it.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Looks good to me. But if you are looking at total of 7 days you will be driving for a couple hours each day. Something to keep in mind.

Have you figured out where of these stops you will be camping yet? I assume you are looking at 1 day/night in each area?

Pagosa Springs and Durango both have great Hot Springs to visit. You can then run up and do some trails in Telluride/Ouray area. If you are alone you can hit Imogene and Engineer and knock out two badge of Honor Trails. I'd stay in that area 2-3 days so you can do those. I'd have to see what hiking we have done there for any recommendations, but honestly, I'd stick to Jeeping over there. Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a stop for sure. You can either hike there or just take in some of the views. It is spectacular. We have not done any wheeling in GJ area, but the Colorado National Monument is there and a great campground, though it will be hot there. We camped in July 2 years ago and it was warm at night, but still comfortable. For me at least! In that area you can get in some light off-roading and do Rattlesnake Gulch arches for some hiking. Super pretty and worth it. There is an upper trail that you can drive almost all the way to and park. Only 1-2 spots to watch for but nothing difficult by any means. Any stock SUV can do it. In Glenwood you also have more hot springs to visit. I would do Iron Mountain Hot Springs as it is very clean. Hanging Lake is a great hike in that area, but it does require reservations. So if you are interested in that I would look now to see if they have any openings. Boulder are has some great hiking as well. Unless you want to go to RMNP for something specific, I'd skip it. It is out of the way and not much there that you couldn't find elsewhere in CO. Pikes Peak is worth doing on the way back also. Be prepared for the altitude however. 14K feet in elevation can get to you pretty easily.

I can give more hiking options if you can provide more specifics on where you might be staying as well. If you are not familiar, AllTrails is a great app for hiking.

There are plenty of off-road trails along 70 heading to Denver to hit as well. During the week they are likely to be less busy.
Sponsored