Taking a JL to Cape York.

mnicho29

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.2 Rubicon
Just wondering if anyone here has taken a JL to the cape yet or done any serious remote touring.

I’m currently building at 2020 2.2 Diesel JLUR.

No need you give me the obvious, I’m not a rookie, it’s the second wrangler I’ve built for remote travel. Just looking for any experience or important stuff to know specifically for the JL here in Australia.

Jeep Wrangler JL Taking a JL to Cape York. 4408F032-3EE1-42FD-9A0A-ECC3FEA7C83F

You can follow our build and trip later in the year at “Operation4wheelz” in Instagram

Here’s the build so far.
Still have a few things to add.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Just wondering if anyone here has taken a JL to the cape yet or done any serious remote touring.

I’m currently building at 2020 2.2 Diesel JLUR.

No need you give me the obvious, I’m not a rookie, it’s the second wrangler I’ve built for remote travel. Just looking for any experience or important stuff to know specifically for the JL here in Australia.

Jeep Wrangler JL Taking a JL to Cape York. 4408F032-3EE1-42FD-9A0A-ECC3FEA7C83F

You can follow our build and trip later in the year at “Operation4wheelz” in Instagram

Here’s the build so far.
Still have a few things to add.
Will follow your build with interest. Planning a Central Australia trip myself later in the year. I have not done the Cape so can't lend any experience there. One thing that does concern me with my current setup is oil temperature. Coolant temperature doesn't seem to be a problem, but oil temperature I have seen over 107C. Not sure if this should be a concern or if I am worried about nothing. I tow a Patriot camper trailer and hill climbs on the open road, whilst they don't phase the diesel too much, push these temperatures skyward. Any thoughts on keeping the vehicle cool whilst travelling to the top end?

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
Will follow your build with interest. Planning a Central Australia trip myself later in the year. I have not done the Cape so can't lend any experience there. One thing that does concern me with my current setup is oil temperature. Coolant temperature doesn't seem to be a problem, but oil temperature I have seen over 107C. Not sure if this should be a concern or if I am worried about nothing. I tow a Patriot camper trailer and hill climbs on the open road, whilst they don't phase the diesel too much, push these temperatures skyward. Any thoughts on keeping the vehicle cool whilst travelling to the top end?
I noticed the oil temps too. A freeway trip on the weekend and they were showing 103-4 which isn't ideal. I'd love to run a slightly higher weight oil but noone makes one that meets the Jeep specification. I'm going to keep an eye on them but maybe an external oil cooler is good insurance especially in Central Australia.

OP
OP

mnicho29

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.2 Rubicon
I noticed the oil temps too. A freeway trip on the weekend and they were showing 103-4 which isn't ideal. I'd love to run a slightly higher weight oil but noone makes one that meets the Jeep specification. I'm going to keep an eye on them but maybe an external oil cooler is good insurance especially in Central Australia.

These Temps all seem normal from what I’ve seen. Once it’s up to temp it’s usually about 103 - 105. And judging by the scale on the gauge, it seems nothing seems to be getting anywhere near the “red”. Coolant temps don’t seem to get any higher then 93. Where is seem to set happily.

I’ve been keeping an eye on all temps as I’ve added mods and gear and seen no change since stock. Only my fuel economy going south but that’s to be expected. Main thing is to make sure you drive it properly being a diesel. They need a good solid run at optimum temps on the Highway at least once a fortnight. It gives an opportunity for the DPF to do a burn, and keep the inlet manifold clear of soot and oil.

Engineers are pretty smart and my build theory is to keep the truck as close to stock as possible. Only adding or swapping what I NEED. Not what looks cool.
Spoken to a couple of other and they’ve done the cape with just the basics their JL.
Snorkel and 2 inch lift. They had no issues.

Matt

Harvs

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Wrangler Rubicon 2.2 Diesel
Hey guys I have done Cape York in my 2020 JLU Rubicon 2.2 diesel.
Did have to add oil during the trip but only about 1/2 ltr
I’m heading this year up to Simpson and running 5w 30 engine oil. The last dealer service I had listed 5w on service paperwork which I questioned. They said is ok to run in Oz as we don’t get the extreme low temps in weather as they do in Europe.
Anyway last 6 months been running 5w
Thoughts?

Sponsored

OP
OP

mnicho29

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.2 Rubicon
5w40 is way cheaper. And I think castrol is the only 0w40 (could be wrong). I’ve been anal over the years with oil and used the 0w40 on my 2.8 as the book recommended. It ran beautifully for years and years and never had a issue with it in anyway shape or form despite all the whinging about that engine. Meanwhile most people skimped on the 5W. In fact, I let a mechanic service mine once and he refused to buy the 0W40 so I had to supply it myself.

I’m not an engineer, but there has to be some reason why, they recommend 0W40 in the 2.2 aswell and I’ll be sticking to it. It’s lighter, not less viscous. I would imagine being lighter, it must had some effect on how it pump and coats the engine. I’ll happily spend the extra money on the 0W if there’s any chance it should be used over the 5W…
Hey guys I have done Cape York in my 2020 JLU Rubicon 2.2 diesel.
Did have to add oil during the trip but only about 1/2 ltr
I’m heading this year up to Simpson and running 5w 30 engine oil. The last dealer service I had listed 5w on service paperwork which I questioned. They said is ok to run in Oz as we don’t get the extreme low temps in weather as they do in Europe.
Anyway last 6 months been running 5w
Thoughts?
another thing to consider is that you may have oil dilution. If you normally do lots of short trips, water Vapor can mix in with the oil and actually increase the oil level. Then when you do long drives it will evaporate the water away and the oil will drop.
But honestly, I’d recommend putting the recommended oil in. It’s a $25-30k component the extra $100 each service is worth it in my opinion.