JK

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
You can 100% make a 37 close well with a little bit of time. Like a few others have said you have to raise the striker side up more. I did this by putting shims on the hinge side and opening up the gate a few inches so it was not touching the striker at all. Put 1-2 more shims on the striker side and snug up the bolts and check. Best to have a friend since unless lucky it will take a few times lifting and testing with the spare on the tailgate. Mine shuts better now then when I got it and you can’t budge the tailgate or shake the spare.

Sponsored

OP
OP

FasEddy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You can 100% make a 37 close well with a little bit of time. Like a few others have said you have to raise the striker side up more. I did this by putting shims on the hinge side and opening up the gate a few inches so it was not touching the striker at all. Put 1-2 more shims on the striker side and snug up the bolts and check. Best to have a friend since unless lucky it will take a few times lifting and testing with the spare on the tailgate. Mine shuts better now then when I got it and you can’t budge the tailgate or shake the spare.
Thank you!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So I grazed over the responses. You guys are aware that the tailgate is adjustable so it can be lined up correctly.... right?

Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have a 114 lb spare tire. I installed the Rugged Ridge replacement hinges and coupled it with the TeraFlex Alpha HD tire carrier. I used the shims to get everything lined up and I still get the sag. I don’t worry about it though. I make sure to not slam the tailgate - always have my hand on the tailgate handle as Inclose until it fully latches.
I have this same setup, except the ridiculously heavy spare, although I offset that with a tailgate table and molle bags. I lifted the tailgate as high as I could without the spare on it and tightened the bolts. No more sag.

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
This is very helpful. It seems like the main adjustment can be done by loosening the 4 tailgate side hinge bolts and raising the gate height by an appropriate amount (without the help of the body side latch), which should result in the gate being the correct height once the bolts are tightened and the weight of the spare is added back.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

Thank you!
Yes you can adjust the tail gate left,right,up and down by just loosening the 4 bolts you took out for the reinforcement. Its also likely they moved when you installed it and isn't just sag from the extra weight.

If you place your hand on the latch of the tailgate you will feel plastic guide ramps, i was sure to adjust everything to align with out the latch bar attached to the body hitting those or needing them.

One thing to take special care not to over tighten the bolts as it feels like they are going into aluminum. The mopar instructions have a torque spec that I followed.

Bluebear

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
I just did this adjustment for my 37" tires with the Mopar reinforcement. Took the tire off, loosened all 4 bolts on the tailgate just slightly then used some boards to prop up the tailgate on both hinge and latch side. Then I pushed the wood under the door latch side to lift it a little higher than normal. Tightened all 4 bolts and saw the tailgate would close a little higher than the latch. Adding the tire lined it up pretty perfect.

Winning on not having to lift the tire a little to close the tailgate... Only issue is I didn't pay attention on the left/right alignment. It doesn't rub or anything but I'm sure I'll adjust it just to be a little more center.
Sponsored